Recommendations/Advice: Rockford/Sundown 15”

Participant count
  • Participant list
Yeah, I’m with you there. Although I can see the point of a ported/slotted enclosure in the right applications, I can’t wrap my head around a 4 ft3 box for a single 12” woofer. I can get they have the potential to be louder if tuned right, but I like the snappy bass I get with a sealed response that I grew up with.

What is your budget? You can get a better sub than RF for the $. As for SDown.. I myself wouldnt buy a screw from them. I do have my reasons, and stand clear to spend any $ with them any more.New or Used or even on trades. The only sub that I can think of that might meet your expectations for SQL would be an
Adhire Brahma. They arent CHEAP. But Ive heard that everyone that has one are more than pleased with it. A 12" would be 1/2 the cost nearly than a 15". Does it have to be a 15" sub??
I’ve haven’t heard of Adhire, but that’s something I will definitely do some reasesrch on. Appreciate the recommendation.

I definitely will not go a cheaper route here. Especially since I’m just starting back into it. I’m thinking $1200-$1500 a pair…might even spring a little more, but that’s about it and it’s crazy to even spend that much for subwoofers in my opinion.

Yeah, 15s is about the lowest I really want for a woofer. I’m actually more of an 18s man. I’ve had a pair of 12s that sounded good at one time, I always wanted more than them output wise…well, at that phase anyway. It just didn’t cut it. You probably could do it with the 12s today. I’m unsure.

I had a pair of 18s in high school, then I move on to 4-18s in my old Ford Bronco. That was about right for me back them. Now, I’m old and I’m not looking for something that big. I’d love to have that low bass response they had though. I can’t hear for **** now, but I think those would give me a headache. 😂.

Last edited:
B2 may be worth taking a look at as well,and PSI,and Cresendo even. Avatar ive seen in operation on a Large system and they sound pretty dammned good too.Just a couple to take a look at as well.

Last edited:
B2 may be worth taking a look at as well,and PSI,and Cresendo even. Avatar ive seen in operation on a Large system and they sound pretty dammned good too.Just a couple to take a look at as well.
Jesus! Those B2s subs are MASSIVE. Absolute monsters! XMAX is the longest I’ve ever seen. Of course, that’s some of their top of the line model subs. I’m now looking at something in their lower power lines. Checking now as I’m writing this. I do like the fact that they have a lot of models that will accept sealed boxes with reasonable sizes.

I’ll be checking these out more in detail. Massive magnet assemblies and huge magnets. Damn, I might not even be able to lift one. 6” voice coils, once I read the max power I can understand why. Some can take 20k watts peak. These are the higher rated ones, way too much for me. I’m looking at something like around 1000-2500 watt range for subs. It’s more practical for me.

I don’t understand some of these newer systems with like 12,000+ watts of power just on subs. That’s insane, but those videos on some people’s rides are just plain crazy. They’re going to shake every part loose on their vehicles. I sound like my old man here, He said the same thing with me.

I’ve checked their amps out on YouTube. I wear very good earbuds, I know this won’t give it justice given the YouTube compression rates.

All I can say now is WOW!

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m with you there. Although I can see the point of a ported/slotted enclosure in the right applications, I can’t wrap my head around a 4 ft3 box for a single 12” woofer. I can get they have the potential to be louder if tuned right, but I like the snappy bass I get with a sealed response that I grew up with.
A decent tuned and ported enclosure can be right at 2.0 Cu.Ft.@32htz for a nice 1k-1200rms 12. If you like snappy /punch bass, then you may have an interest in taking a look at Dayton Audio subs, that are the only ones in the business that carry a 5yr warranty on their subs, and are a nice contribution to SQ that packs a punch. CT Sounds Strato Series might be worth looking at for a 15 sealed application?

Sorry guys, I had a iPhone mess up and didn’t get to finish my thoughts here. Yeah, on paper those B2s look like some MFs. Huge! I’ve checked out their amps on YouTube (I wear very good ear buds), and I know this doesn’t give it justice). Talk about some massive assed woofers. Jesus, I can’t get over that, but it would be overkill for me on certain models. ! I’m going to dive a little deeper. Some can handle 20K watts peak? I’m looking at their little more scaled down woofers. Hell I couldn’t lift them other wise. I’m an old bass head. After I went to the chiropractor, I might get a come-a-long or a crane. 😂. I’m thinking something around 1500+. watts give or take. Im think 2000w max, but it might be a pipe dream giving the state of things. I’m not looking at Damn, now I know why some models have 6” voice coils with that power. The only other company I’ve heard of using this large of vc is JL and that’s on their shallow mount subs wear they just about have to.
Talking about some more massive subs.. the GP TEAM AUDIO subs are pretty impressive as well.Ive never ran one myself. But ya. I still havent been to a sound off yet that they were present to demo. There are even some 21" subs available these days.But.. these will need be ported to run.

https://gpcaraudio.com/subwoofers/gp-car-audio/

A decent tuned and ported enclosure can be right at 2.0 Cu.Ft.@32htz for a nice 1k-1200rms 12. If you like snappy /punch bass, then you may have an interest in taking a look at Dayton Audio subs, that are the only ones in the business that carry a 5yr warranty on their subs, and are a nice contribution to SQ that packs a punch. CT Sounds Strato Series might be worth looking at for a 15 sealed application?

Not sure what happened to the Link on Parts Express on the Dayton sub. ill try this here??

Jesus! Those B2s subs are MASSIVE. Absolute monsters! XMAX is the longest I’ve ever seen. Of course, that’s some of their top of the line model subs. I’m now looking at something in their lower power lines. Checking now as I’m writing this. I do like the fact that they have a lot of models that will accept sealed boxes with reasonable sizes.

I’ll be checking these out more in detail. Massive magnet assemblies and huge magnets. Damn, I might not even be able to lift one. 6” voice coils, once I read the max power I can understand why. Some can take 20k watts peak. These are the higher rated ones, way too much for me. I’m looking at something like around 1000-2500 watt range for subs. It’s more practical for me.

I don’t understand some of these newer systems with like 12,000+ watts of power just on subs. That’s insane, but those videos on some people’s rides are just plain crazy. They’re going to shake every part loose on their vehicles. I sound like my old man here, He said the same thing with me.

I’ve checked their amps out on YouTube. I wear very good earbuds, I know this won’t give it justice given the YouTube compression rates.

All I can say now is WOW!
Im planning to put 10k+ back on my 4-12s by next summer if I can make it? if not Deff by the Fall if things work in my direction. I do everything myself. Im on a temp setup atm again,and just itching to get back up to running heavy

Its been a couple years that I ran some sealed subs. I ran a pair of Dayton HO DVC4 10s and they were very nice, but i wanted a bit more to keep up with my front stage at the time. Pretty nice series of subs

I’ve been hearing those Dayton’s were pretty good for car audio applications in a lot of forums and groups. Low distortion. Five year warranty is nice compared to today. I remember Rockford had like 3 years back in the day and were hand made in the USA. Of course, almost everything was…that was then, and this is now I’ve come to realize.

I’ve had several of their 6.5s and 8s on some home audio applications that I made. They were fine.

I really hadn’t considered them that much for car audio, but I did just look at them again the other day. Specs look pretty good. I’m not sure how they’re react in a car amplifier and a vehicle. I guess I could alway get one and use it for another home sub. 😁

Definitely something to keep in my back pocket.

On the CT sounds, they just don’t look like they would be a good reliable longer term woofer IMHO. That’s probably just me being ignorant to the fact.

Last edited:
I’ve been hearing those Dayton’s were pretty good for car audio applications in a lot of forums and groups. Low distortion. Five year warranty is nice compared to today. I remember Rockford had like 3 years back in the day and were hand made in the USA. Of course, almost everything was…that was then, and this is now I’ve come to realize.

I’ve had several of their 6.5s and 8s on some home audio applications that I made. They were fine.

I really hadn’t considered them that much for car audio, but I did just look at them again the other day. Specs look pretty good. ’m not sure how they’re react in a car amplifier. I guess I could alway get one and use it for another home sub. Definitely something to keep in my back pocket.
They do make DVC4 and DVC2 Dayton subs to run in vehicles. Im old school. Ill still run some old AudioBahn AW1008T tens(4) or AW1006T tens. I still have those and they still get down pretty good for some 2000 yr subs. My favorites were the Kicker Still Water design 10s back in the day I ran sealed on 2-Autotek BTS 7300s(1 on each set of subs). That was a chest banger and eye movement setup back then. more power today and subs that can take more power and Xmax these days and cheaper by the watt

I really hadn’t considered them that much for car audio, but I did just look at them again the other day. Specs look pretty good. I’m not sure how they’re react in a car amplifier and a vehicle. I guess I could alway get one and use it for another home sub. 😁

Definitely something to keep in my back pocket.

On the CT sounds, they just don’t look like they would be a good reliable longer term woofer IMHO. That’s probably just me being ignorant to the fact.
Just throwing some out there at you man. In the end.. Its your choice to get what you want for your money and what you feel that you will be happy with. Thats what counts man. we can make recommendations/ect, but its your application wants and needs and your vehicle and listening expectations and your hard money spent at the end of the day. There are some choices out there that exceed the name brands these days and quite a few bang for the buck as well. There are quite a few 12s that sound like a 15 and 10s that will slamm like 12s. Enclosure and tuning, vehicle, supply for the demand and direction are some of the main needs to get a sub to perform at theyre best these days

They do make DVC4 and DVC2 Dayton subs to run in vehicles. Im old school. Ill still run some old AudioBahn AW1008T tens(4) or AW1006T tens. I still have those and they still get down pretty good for some 2000 yr subs. My favorites were the Kicker Still Water design 10s back in the day I ran sealed on 2-Autotek BTS 7300s(1 on each set of subs). That was a chest banger and eye movement setup back then. more power today and subs that can take more power and Xmax these days and cheaper by the watt
Man, don’t you wish Audiobahn was still in business. I never knew what happened to them. They had a head start on everything that’s newer in todays world. I really like Kicker as well. Hey man, did you see they’ve re-release those old type of woofers they had bac in the day. Those comp gold with the Kicker logo outlined. They’re lower in wattage though than I’d figured I would need. I might be wrong here as I often am.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...