Recommendations/Advice: Rockford/Sundown 15”

Participant count
  • Participant list

SGDub

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
Hey guys

I know you see this kinda post go sideways. I’d like some genuine help here. I’m really looking at recommendation and suggestions both good and bad from 15” subs either from Rockford Fosgate and Sundown.

The sub amp I’ll be using is the Rockford Power T1500-1bdCP.

I’ll be using a sealed box. Yes I’m old school (since 1987). I was a certified installer from 80-90s. We were Rockford dealers. So I know their history. I haven’t had a system in more than 10+ years. The last Rockford woofer I had was the HX2 line. I have then since moved, but the thieving got so bad that I just gave up on a aftermarket system and settled on factory. I think I got broken into like 7 times, even got my truck stole once, I finally just said “F” it.

I’m surprised the market has changed A LOT! I remember in the early 2000s car audio almost went under!

I love Rockford, but with all this new stuff coming out daily from Korean/Chinese/Brazil equipment, I’m just not familiar with them. I know nothing about their sound, reliability, if the companies are reputable…just to much stuff to ask about them. It seem a lot of brands just get the same woofers design and slap a custom named dust cap over them. I was wondering it there’s a new sherif in town.

I would like for it to be SQL (Sound Quality but Loud).

Sorry, I was long winded there. Just wanted to give some background so excuse me here.

I’m looking at some:

Rockford Fosgate T1-15”
Or
Sundown SA-15v2

Rockford
: I have heard both good and bad things about the T1 line (I know you will always have this).

I like the specs, but will it worth it or go with the P3 line. I know what sound to expect from them.

Do you think it will preform over the Sundowns?

Have you heard of reliability problems?

Other issues of any that inquiring minds need to know?

Sundown: I know nothing about them or the company. I’ve seen them become very popular and seen their price go up also. I’m just a little doubtful of them. I know they use the over seas amp designs, but I’m not saying that’s necessarily bad.
I heard they do the woofers all in house. I’m just I’m not sure there. I also saw they we the new SPL champions, but SPL is not for me anymore.

What are you guys info on Sundown?

Are they reliable?

How do you think they would Sound: clear or just junk.

When I say how’s the sound here’s what I’m asking…when I was still installing Pyrmid came out with a 1000 watt amp. Probably one of the first. That **** got popular in a hurry. It sounded thin like it has no nuts at all to their bass. A punch 75 or a Punch 60 could probably eat this for lunch. And I seen these burn up all the time. Their woofers were just junk also wouldn’t hit bass worth a crap. People just kept buying them and buying them. I just shook my head every time I had to install some of this.
This is the main reason I’m scared of Sundown being the same thing. You have to have a small nuclear power plant to run some of that stuff today. I don’t understand why. I know they measure SPL differently now, but can you really, truly hit in the 150 DBs with one set of 15s?

Hell, I’d settle for stuff made in my era if they were just new.

I see the T1s need a facelift. Looks like they haven’t had a facelift or technical upgrade in about 10 years. I remember Rockford used to come up with a new upgrade (sometimes just cosmetic) every year. I also know they just got sold again and that we should probably just hold our breath. But damn, 10 years? The new companies seem to be encouraging into Rockford’s space. Are they better?

Box: will be to spec and/or for each.

Power: will be up to spec and/or for each.

I was just wondering if someone can give me some advice, info, experience and/or reasons on one brand or the other. Unfortunately, it will be a blind buy for me. I live in a small rural area now, so I can listen to them first. No real sound comps around either.

Any help at all is appreciated.

For a 15" in a sealed box, the stereo integrity sql is the sub I would go for.
You know I have been looking at SI subs. They seem very high quality. I think they are a really good choice as well. Something to give a second look to.
I had been looking at Fi also, but I went through everything they had and they didn’t recommend sealed boxes. I liked the fact that on some woofers they let you order additional layers on their spiders.

Thanks for the feedback brother!

I was just getting back into stereos not that long ago...I tried 3 different sub setups in less than a year to get that "feeling" back from the old days...the sql's kept getting brought up and I took a chance on them last November I got 2 sql-15's in my saturn running on 3k in a 4 cuft sealed box (si specs are 2cuft per 15) they are very clean sounding and get loud in that small box...

There's lots of great subs out there these days but for the price versus performance I'd be hard pressed to swap out again

Hey guys

I know you see this kinda post go sideways. I’d like some genuine help here. I’m really looking at recommendation and suggestions both good and bad from 15” subs either from Rockford Fosgate and Sundown.

I’ll be using a sealed box. Yes I’m old school (since 1987). I was a certified installer from 80-90s. We were Rockford dealers. So I know their history. I haven’t had a system in more than 10+ years. The last Rockford woofer I had was the HX2 line. I have then since moved, but the thieving got so bad that I just gave up on a aftermarket system and settled on factory. I think I got broken into like 7 times, even got my truck stole once, I finally just said “F” it.

I’m surprised the market has changed A LOT! I remember in the early 2000s car audio almost went under!

I love Rockford, but with all this new stuff coming out daily from Korean/Chinese/Brazil equipment, I’m just not familiar with them. I know nothing about their sound, reliability, if the companies are reputable…just to much stuff to ask about them. It seem a lot of brands just get the same woofers design and slap a custom named dust cap over them. I was wondering it there’s a new sherif in town.

Sorry, I was long winded there. Just wanted to give some background so excuse me here.

I’m looking at some:

Rockford Fosgate T1-15”
Or
Sundown SA-15v2

Rockford
: I have heard both good and bad things about the T1 line (I know you will always have this).

I like the specs, but will it worth it or go with the P3 line. I know what sound to expect from them.

Sundown: I know nothing about them or the company. I’ve seen them become very popular and seen their price go up also. I’m just a little doubtful of them. I know they use the over seas amp designs, but I’m not saying that’s necessarily bad.
I heard they do the woofers all in house. I’m just I’m not sure there. I also saw they we the new SPL champions, but SPL is not for me anymore.

Are they reliable?

When I say how’s the sound here’s what I’m asking…when I was still installing Pyrmid came out with a 1000 watt amp. Probably one of the first. That **** got popular in a hurry. It sounded thin like it has no nuts at all to their bass. A punch 75 or a Punch 60 could probably eat this for lunch. And I seen these burn up all the time. Their woofers were just junk also wouldn’t hit bass worth a crap. People just kept buying them and buying them. I just shook my head every time I had to install some of this.
This is the main reason I’m scared of Sundown being the same thing. You have to have a small nuclear power plant to run some of that stuff today. I don’t understand why. I know they measure SPL differently now, but can you really, truly hit in the 150 DBs with one set of 15s?

I see the T1s need a facelift. Looks like they haven’t had a facelift or technical upgrade in about 10 years. I remember Rockford used to come up with a new upgrade (sometimes just cosmetic) every year. I also know they just got sold again and that we should probably just hold our breath. But damn, 10 years? The new companies seem to be encouraging into Rockford’s space. Are they better?

I was just wondering if someone can give me some advice, info, experience and/or reasons on one brand or the other. Unfortunately, it will be a blind buy for me. I live in a small rural area now, so I can listen to them first. No real sound comps around either.

I stopped reading after you said you're going sealed. You'll get more out of **** gear in a ported box than top gear in a sealed box.

Hey guys

I’m looking at some:

Rockford Fosgate T1-15”
Or
Sundown SA-15v2

Rockford

Are they reliable?

What is your budget? You can get a better sub than RF for the $. As for SDown.. I myself wouldnt buy a screw from them. I do have my reasons, and stand clear to spend any $ with them any more.New or Used or even on trades. The only sub that I can think of that might meet your expectations for SQL would be an
Adhire Brahma. They arent CHEAP. But Ive heard that everyone that has one are more than pleased with it. A 12" would be 1/2 the cost nearly than a 15". Does it have to be a 15" sub??

For a 15" in a sealed box, the stereo integrity sql is the sub I would go for.
That is a Dammned good deal for a 15" Sub that will do well sealed and ported. I forgot about that one!!. I havent experienced it yet hearing or seeing one in operation yet.But I have heard that ones who have this sub have been pleased with its performance for the $

You know I have been looking at SI subs. They seem very high quality. I think they are a really good choice as well. Something to give a second look to.
I had been looking at Fi also, but I went through everything they had and they didn’t recommend sealed boxes. I liked the fact that on some woofers they let you order additional layers on their spiders.

Thanks for the feedback brother!
B2 may be worth taking a look at as well,and PSI,and Cresendo even. Avatar ive seen in operation on a Large system and they sound pretty dammned good too.Just a couple to take a look at as well.

There is another option as well to utilize an Aero-Port enclosure to save some space and get some tuning options as well. something to be considered? Just throwing that in the mix man

Not everyone has room or wants to give up space to go ported.
Right.. not everyone is willing to give up the space for a ported enclosure. It does take less power to get a sub to do work in a ported enclosure rather than a ported one for sure,and you get more tuning options as well.

I stopped reading after you said you're going sealed. You'll get more out of **** gear in a ported box than top gear in a sealed box.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I’m going to go sealed. I’ve never really cared for the ported/slotted sound. I like just a more controlled bass sound. I’m not really going after SPL these day and it takes way too big a box for what it’s worth to me. I know ported/slotted is louder, or it has the potential to be, but I like the kick and snappy sound you get with a sealed box. I know everyone is doing the ported/slotted box these day, but I’m old school.

There is another option as well to utilize an Aero-Port enclosure to save some space and get some tuning options as well. something to be considered? Just throwing that in the mix man
Thanks! I do appreciate the response and suggestion. That’s a damn good idea, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with a sealed design. The sound roll off is just not something I can get used to hearing. I know that’s strange given the status of car audio these days. I’ll definitely keep this in mind going forward as I’m still selecting components.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...