Recommendations/Advice: Rockford/Sundown 15”

Participant count
  • Participant list
Just throwing some out there at you man. In the end.. Its your choice to get what you want for your money and what you feel that you will be happy with. Thats what counts man. we can make recommendations/ect, but its your application wants and needs and your vehicle and listening expectations and your hard money spent at the end of the day. There are some choices out there that exceed the name brands these days and quite a few bang for the buck as well. There are quite a few 12s that sound like a 15 and 10s that will slamm like 12s. Enclosure and tuning, vehicle, supply for the demand and direction are some of the main needs to get a sub to perform at theyre best these days
Oh yeah, I know it’s just up to me, and I know sound is subjective. So it might bang to me, and should like crap to someone else. I value your opinions here. All comments and suggestions are useful especially that I’m more than 10 years late to the game. Yeah, I agree. There’s a lot more that goes into it than just an amp, box, and woofers. I’m not one of the new crowd that thinks more watts is better. I knows watts doesn’t necessarily mean better by any means. Much more there than that.

Man, don’t you wish Audiobahn was still in business. I never knew what happened to them. They had a head start on everything that’s newer in todays world. I really like Kicker as well. Hey man, did you see they’ve re-release those old type of woofers they had bac in the day. Those comp gold with the Kicker logo outlined. They’re lower in wattage though than I’d figured I would need. I might be wrong here as I often am.

LOL. Well.. There was a bad ordeal about running and shipping things that were no Bueno, But sometimes, Id like to grab another set of those AW and Mortal subs..LOL. I had an all A.Bahn setup in my truck back in 2000, 1- HCT4125, 2-HCT2200,4-AW1008T,or AW1006t subs, 1 set of ABC6003 up front, one set of 5.25 mids and another tweet in A pillar ,and 1 set of ABC6002 in rear in my older 1997 Chevy Xcab.Kq9 Kicker EQ, and an Eclipse CD3000 hu. It was loud, but not as much as my newer setups. I did see those Ann. Kicker Subs. I may pick up a set later on. Ive got too many subs atm though. I still like theyre 1" tweets for sure,amps are still pretty reliable, Subs and speakers... not so much for me any more

Talking about some more massive subs.. the GP TEAM AUDIO subs are pretty impressive as well.Ive never ran one myself. But ya. I still havent been to a sound off yet that they were present to demo. There are even some 21" subs available these days.But.. these will need be ported to run.

https://gpcaraudio.com/subwoofers/gp-car-audio/

Damn, what I would have done for some 21” subs back in the day! 😂

Yeah those are pretty beefy also. They’re pretty damn huge. Damn, at the box you’d have to have just to fit one of those long heavy assed subs. I’d probably have to but on extra shocks on my vehicle. Those are very nice also, never heard of them.

Im planning to put 10k+ back on my 4-12s by next summer if I can make it? if not Deff by the Fall if things work in my direction. I do everything myself. Im on a temp setup atm again,and just itching to get back up to running heavy
Dang man, that would take a nuclear power plant to run that. So how big an alt, gauge wire, and number of batteries does than equate to?

I couldn’t even imagine just the connectors and power distribution blocks. Jezzz. That’s a hell of a lot to me. Should be one loud mother fo’ sure. I hope you go to competition with that.

Man, don’t you wish Audiobahn was still in business. I never knew what happened to them. They had a head start on everything that’s newer in todays world. I really like Kicker as well. Hey man, did you see they’ve re-release those old type of woofers they had bac in the day. Those comp gold with the Kicker logo outlined. They’re lower in wattage though than I’d figured I would need. I might be wrong here as I often am.

Ya man.. for the price point of that Kicker 12 I can grab up an American Bass XFL 10 or 12 and even a Hawk 12 and be much happier

Amazon product ASIN B00HZUNVVI
Amazon product ASIN B00K24M8MM
Amazon product ASIN B08JPHRFKJ

Dang man, that would take a nuclear power plant to run that. So how big an alt, gauge wire, and number of batteries does than equate to?

I couldn’t even imagine just the connectors and power distribution blocks. Jezzz. That’s a hell of a lot to me. Should be one loud mother fo’ sure. I hope you go to competition with that.
Im a nobody man. Just an Old goat compared to these other guys that run some serious power and lots of $ to blow and have sponsors kicking at theyre doors. Ive never metered my entire life legally/On paper and just chasing that one # to hit of a 150DB or better my first time out. 370 alt and 6 agm batts(prob run 8 this time around) with just two runs of 1/0 to distro blocks rev to 1200-1500 rpms on 6 batts. Ive never competed just demos from time to time and law dogs called on me for disturbance a couple times. LOL.Ill prob go with about 2500-3k on my mids if i can squeeze em in there. ive had some Audio places asked if I drive around like that. LOL. I said Why Not?? LOL. Its starange when you are going down the highway @70-80 and think your front end is falling apart and steering is hard to handle and one day I finally realized it was just from the bass. LOL. this will be my last large build, and then prob go back to SQL if I can. i could prob use two alts in there but Im just going try one 370 this time see how it goes. Its been pretty fun over the years, and Im still learning ya know. I still use an EQ Indash rather than the new DSPs, I like to tune on the fly by knob

Oh yeah, I know it’s just up to me, and I know sound is subjective. So it might bang to me, and should like crap to someone else. I value your opinions here. All comments and suggestions are useful especially that I’m more than 10 years late to the game. Yeah, I agree. There’s a lot more that goes into it than just an amp, box, and woofers. I’m not one of the new crowd that thinks more watts is better. I knows watts doesn’t necessarily mean better by any means. Much more there than that.
Right on man. You know.. I have an older Audio Technix 12 that still works really nice man.I placed it in a downfire ported enclosure and ran it on a PPI Phantom 1000.1d 22ohms and in an xcab truck(07 Chevy) it actually made my had beal move pretty good and sounded damnned good. i dont remember what wattage it is rated for RMS wise, but that was and still is a really well made sub. I ran it quite a few times.CT sounds used to be A.Technix. they did have some bad runs and they had some good ones. Its a bad pill to swallow reading on things that happened to people in the past, but that individual has passed away, and they are under new management and now CT Sounds. Im having great experiences with theyre entry level CT amps.the 6.5 mids i have sound really decent for the price point, i have an EQ that I still havent wired up and tried out yet,only benched it up in my old audio room on 2 sets of Polk audio DB 6.5s on 2- Autotek Mean machine 66s@4ohms, and One A.Bass XO12 on a Mean Machine 99@2ohms with a kenwood deck.and 2 batteries and a Shumacher 200 amp charger. I had it going in the front living room all day listening to some F.Mac and bunch old school music

What is your budget? You can get a better sub than RF for the $. As for SDown.. I myself wouldnt buy a screw from them. I do have my reasons, and stand clear to spend any $ with them any more.New or Used or even on trades. The only sub that I can think of that might meet your expectations for SQL would be an
Adhire Brahma. They arent CHEAP. But Ive heard that everyone that has one are more than pleased with it. A 12" would be 1/2 the cost nearly than a 15". Does it have to be a 15" sub??
Im a nobody man. Just an Old goat compared to these other guys that run some serious power and lots of $ to blow and have sponsors kicking at theyre doors. Ive never metered my entire life legally/On paper and just chasing that one # to hit of a 150DB or better my first time out. 370 alt and 6 agm batts(prob run 8 this time around) with just two runs of 1/0 to distro blocks rev to 1200-1500 rpms on 6 batts. Ive never competed just demos from time to time and law dogs called on me for disturbance a couple times. LOL.Ill prob go with about 2500-3k on my mids if i can squeeze em in there. ive had some Audio places asked if I drive around like that. LOL. I said Why Not?? LOL. Its starange when you are going down the highway @70-80 and think your front end is falling apart and steering is hard to handle and one day I finally realized it was just from the bass. LOL. this will be my last large build, and then prob go back to SQL if I can. i could prob use two alts in there but Im just going try one 370 this time see how it goes. Its been pretty fun over the years, and Im still learning ya know. I still use an EQ Indash rather than the new DSPs, I like to tune on the fly by knob
Yeah DSPs are new to me. We just had EQs and active crossovers back in my day. Until they started to make them inside amps. I like something with knobs and slider also to adjust on the go and per song. I really want to check out some DSPs. They’re definitely pricey for a really good one. Not sure it pays for the price on one of those. I was checking out that Dayton DSP and it looked pretty good compared to cost. I had a Rockford Fosgate symmetry back in the day with a 16 band EQ card. It was cool and did a lot of control but damn that thing was suspect to group loops and engine noise. That’s the only thing I had that was remotely close.

Yeah, I had cops try to mess with me also for a while. The ones that new my vehicle finally retired or moved on, so I finally got some room to play things out in the open. I still hit the mute when cops came around though.

So what issues did you have with Sundown just out of curiosity? Might not want to air them here. I was just wondering.

I figured there were some people who weren’t happy with them, but damn it seems like they are everywhere. I just thought they were one of those companies that might just slap a sticker on…which got too big. I heard they changed hands not too long ago also.

Not that it would be right for me, but I’ve seen ALOT of people running Skar. I don’t think the quality is there for my liking, but the guy is a master at advertising. You can’t search on Google or Amazon without Skar coming up.

Yeah DSPs are new to me. We just had EQs and active crossovers back in my day. Until they started to make them inside amps. I like something with knobs and slider also to adjust on the go and per song. I really want to check out some DSPs. They’re definitely pricey for a really good one. Not sure it pays for the price on one of those. I was checking out that Dayton DSP and it looked pretty good compared to cost. I had a Rockford Fosgate symmetry back in the day with a 16 band EQ card. It was cool and did a lot of control but damn that thing was suspect to group loops and engine noise. That’s the only thing I had that was remotely close.

Yeah, I had cops try to mess with me also for a while. The ones that new my vehicle finally retired or moved on, so I finally got some room to play things out in the open. I still hit the mute when cops came around though.

So what issues did you have with Sundown just out of curiosity? Might not want to air them here. I was just wondering.

I figured there were some people who weren’t happy with them, but damn it seems like they are everywhere. I just thought they were one of those companies that might just slap a sticker on…which got too big. I heard they changed hands not too long ago also.

Not that it would be right for me, but I’ve seen ALOT of people running Skar. I don’t think the quality is there for my liking, but the guy is a master at advertising. You can’t search on Google or Amazon without Skar coming up.
Well. Its a long story, and been some time ago. Being a Vendor and I guess after calling the guy out.. I believe they removed what he stated in the thread that really pissed me off and since that day.. I never have bought,recommended, traded,any of theyre products.. I will not even put them in if one comes to me. I remember ripping some stuff out later on... opening up the lid on my two trash cans and dumping that chit right in. I can relate to the Skar hatred as well. Ive never installed or bought anything from them either. I wouldnt use either ones amplifier for a door stop on a dust floor man. Thats me. but Hey??? Each to theyre own. Good riddens to the SD selling out, Ill still not purchase anything even if that individual has any ties to it. thats me.though. ya man.. Advertising is a multibillion dollar if not a multi trillion $ business. look at Temu?? LOL good luck on that site??Not me man

I have respect and do not turn my gear up and around town or ? I got pulled over on the Highway two different times going 70+ @ speed limits. One just pulled me over to see what the hell I had in there. he was a state trooper. He said he felt me coming and going 🤣 🤣 :poop: and actually just wanted to see what I had in there. Told me to be careful and keep it down off the highway.I was like All day sir. you got it.LOL. Another was behind me for about 8 miles and My rearview is covered up and I can use my sides by law, but i had hard time lookingout those at times. he gave me a warning let me roll of course. Im no louder that that semi that just went by you know?

I ran a Soney XEC1000 for about 6 years before I got my first Preamp EQ.an old Kenwood 6042 9 band. ill never forget that EQ.It got ripped along with some gear at a Police impound overnight. Who would think???,Ran some old Coustic 3ways, JBL xovers, HiComp,Old Crunch and couple others.

If I put a DSP in and run it for myself? I may end up liking it,... But I havent really read on it as to not having to go in and out of the HU to change and tune? Im like you... so much easier to fine tune with a Preamp Indash on the fly you know/. Im not sure Id like a DSP to be honest. It too much work to tune each song or different recording and even on USB?

I ran a Soney XEC1000 for about 6 years before I got my first Preamp EQ.an old Kenwood 6042 9 band. ill never forget that EQ.It got ripped along with some gear at a Police impound overnight. Who would think???,Ran some old Coustic 3ways, JBL xovers, HiComp,Old Crunch and couple others.
I got blind sided by a dallas police car going through a green light. They towed my truck to police impound

Well. It’s a long story, and been some time ago. Being a Vendor and I guess after calling the guy out.. I believe they removed what he stated in the thread that really pissed me off and since that day.. I never have bought,recommended, traded,any of theyre products.. I will not even put them in if one comes to me. I remember ripping some stuff out later on... opening up the lid on my two trash cans and dumping that chit right in. I can relate to the Skar hatred as well. Ive never installed or bought anything from them either. I wouldnt use either ones amplifier for a door stop on a dust floor man. Thats me. but Hey??? Each to theyre own. Good riddens to the SD selling out, Ill still not purchase anything even if that individual has any ties to it. thats me.though. ya man.. Advertising is a multibillion dollar if not a multi trillion $ business. look at Temu?? LOL good luck on that site??Not me man
Yeah SMD (I’m sure you know who this is) did something like that to me on some of his YouTube vids. I was trying to contribute saying what was our biggest builds were. Call me a liar and getting all mad because I said we put 12-15s in a 65 Mustang. Which we did and it was a build from hell. Bastardized. When we finally sold it, it barely had any metal in the car doors. Saying it wasn’t possible and all kinds of **** talking about SPL wasn’t measured right and I told him it was different meters and analog mics. Space requirements for woofers were different and it went on and on.

We had 6 Punch 45s wired at one ohm mono per pair (which they couldn’t do back then). We had brass internal fuses. Had to even shave down one of the magnets on a couple of woofers to get it together. Just a little nothing drastic. We utilized every bit of space possible. It was made for competition only and would only play for about 5 minutes before it got too hot. It would play actual music not a 5 second burp. We hit like 154.? something back then. That was a lot back then, today, not so much it seems.

We were able to win in lower wattage classes like this because Punch 45s we cheater amps back then. You know space requirements were way different back then, and mics were analog nothing was digital. Then he got pissed again. Saying all kinds of **** about me and everything else.

Then he gets on my YouTube page and tries to call me out again because I didn’t have vids on systems we did 35 years ago. I had one video of me and my nephew playing around at Halloween like 15 years ago. Hell, we didn’t even have camera phones way back in the 80s...much less barely even cell phones back then. VHS camcorders back then and disposable cameras. Some how without vids I was not creditable in saying that because I think it made him look bad.

Yeah I wouldn’t recommend any SMD products what so ever…even that DD1 he puts his name on that everyone has to have. I’ll take that oscilloscope any day. I know of Tony who actually makes that meter and it ashamed he just slaps a sticker on it and calls it his.

Anyway, that’s my rant on him. “F” him and he’s about a rude bastard on his YouTube vid site. He has great success with that dd-1. Good luck to him. But yeah, not going to be from me. That’s a hell of A lot of money just for a led indicator.

I guess we all have some kind of war stories like this.

So did I, I ran that Sony XEC-1000 back then. That thing was bad ass for its day. I ran 5 amps on that thing.

I actually saved some money from graduation and bought that hot 12 band graphic EQ from Sony (I forget the model number). It was a full sized DIM with all kinda of digital LEDs screens and you could even program your own message. That was $400+ back then. Thought I was hot ****. Yeah mine got jacked also. Now that hurt. I loved that thing, then they stopped making it. 😔

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...