Recommendations/Advice: Rockford/Sundown 15”

Participant count
  • Participant list
Yeah SMD (I’m sure you know who this is) did something like that to me on some of his YouTube vids. I was trying to contribute saying what was our biggest builds were. Call me a liar and getting all mad because I said we put 12-15s in a 65 Mustang. Which we did and it was a build from hell. Bastardized. When we finally sold it, it barely had any metal in the car doors. Saying it wasn’t possible and all kinds of **** talking about SPL wasn’t measured right and I told him it was different meters and analog mics. Space requirements for woofers were different and it went on and on.

We had 6 Punch 45s wired at one ohm mono per pair (which they couldn’t do back then). We had brass internal fuses. Had to even shave down one of the magnets on a couple of woofers to get it together. Just a little nothing drastic. We utilized every bit of space possible. It was made for competition only and would only play for about 5 minutes before it got too hot. It would play actual music not a 5 second burp. We hit like 154.? something back then. That was a lot back then, today, not so much it seems.

We were able to win in lower wattage classes like this because Punch 45s we cheater amps back then. You know space requirements were way different back then, and mics were analog nothing was digital. Then he got pissed again. Saying all kinds of **** about me and everything else.

Then he gets on my YouTube page and tries to call me out again because I didn’t have vids on systems we did 35 years ago. I had one video of me and my nephew playing around at Halloween like 15 years ago. Hell, we didn’t even have camera phones way back in the 80s...much less barely even cell phones back then. VHS camcorders back then and disposable cameras. Some how without vids I was not creditable in saying that because I think it made him look bad.

Yeah I wouldn’t recommend any SMD products what so ever…even that DD1 he puts his name on that everyone has to have. I’ll take that oscilloscope any day. I know of Tony who actually makes that meter and it ashamed he just slaps a sticker on it and calls it his.

Anyway, that’s my rant on him. “F” him and he’s about a rude bastard on his YouTube vid site. He has great success with that dd-1. Good luck to him. But yeah, not going to be from me. That’s a hell of A lot of money just for a led indicator.

I guess we all have some kind of war stories like this.
I dont own any of those DD1s either or any other ones. I still try to tune by ear most of the time, and will use a DMM and get close. Ya. i dont care much for that guy either. ive never bought off theyre site. Some of it is marked up too and they also carry old stuff with dust collecting and sale at premium as well. I still have quite a few cheater amps myself and still like to use them from time to time. i still have some of my first Hifonics VII series amps that still work very well and still look pretty clean,and a few other old stuff.those old RF amps are still pretty bullet proof too. I ran some 75s 45s,and 100s back in the day, and ended up switching to Autotek BTS series and afterwards to Mean Machines.Man, What a cluster to ramp on someone about having a Vid back in the 80s?? those VHS recorders were very expensive as well as Betas that cost as much as a car. LOL.my first HU was a roadmaster with an indash eq and some 6x9s. if that tells you anything? Ive had my share of blowing things up as we had to learn as you go and HUs didnt have RCAs with having to wire amp up in High Level stages.Thank god for masking tape and that Multi color Bic pen!! LOL.Lots of wires to try and remember where and what speaker they went too with only one color of speaker wire back then!! I remember my first set of Pyramid tweeters I hot glued to the dash.LOL. I dont even remember owning a poloroid camera back then that spit out a picture due to the cost of the film?

So did I, I ran that Sony XEC-1000 back then. That thing was bad ass for its day. I ran 5 amps on that thing.

I actually saved some money from graduation and bought that hot 12 band graphic EQ from Sony (I forget the model number). It was a full sized DIM with all kinda of digital LEDs screens and you could even program your own message. That was $400+ back then. Thought I was hot ****. Yeah mine got jacked also. Now that hurt. I loved that thing, then they stopped making it. 😔
I ran 4 amps on mine. Its all I could fit in a single cab 87 long bed Toyo.I had it just under the Passenger seat with my Vii Pluto,and Vulcan, and two Cyclops under the drivers seat on those 4 tens behind the seat, One sealed box made for that truck and i took two wedged boxes and inverted them to fit just behind each headrest and had a cavity inbetween to be able to open my sliding window, LOL. one 6x9 just in front of each seat on the floorboard in boxes firing upwards Sony 2ways, and a set of 5.25" I cut in the doors, and those tweets on the dash.I made a wooden mount just under the dash and carpeted it to house my sony turn Knob Cassette HU. I had just enough room to drive with my feet leaning sideways to shift gears and use brake and gas pedals, LOL 4 spd 22r engine. Later I put one those metal snugg tops on and went to town insulating that and 1/2'Plywood,caulking and carpet with a Snugg window boot. that truck sit low too. Low rider. I never could find or put any speakers in the existing dash spots. i left them in there and just never hooked those back up. Those Kicker Golds back then were slamming pretty good. LOL

Ya man. That was a really good external Xover. I saved money and missed lunches at work for that joker alone. Those amps were expensive back then too.I worked all week and on quite a few Sat.s to save for those.that was a dammned good truck. I drove that thing all over TX. I cant remember how many miles I put on that Joker.? well over 200k for sure, and 1 clutch lol?? crazy how some stuff lasted much longer than todays garbage

Last edited:
I dont own any of those DD1s either or any other ones. I still try to tune by ear most of the time, and will use a DMM and get close. Ya. i dont care much for that guy either. ive never bought off theyre site. Some of it is marked up too and they also carry old stuff with dust collecting and sale at premium as well. I still have quite a few cheater amps myself and still like to use them from time to time. i still have some of my first Hifonics VII series amps that still work very well and still look pretty clean,and a few other old stuff.those old RF amps are still pretty bullet proof too. I ran some 75s 45s,and 100s back in the day, and ended up switching to Autotek BTS series and afterwards to Mean Machines.Man, What a cluster to ramp on someone about having a Vid back in the 80s?? those VHS recorders were very expensive as well as Betas that cost as much as a car. LOL.my first HU was a roadmaster with an indash eq and some 6x9s. if that tells you anything? Ive had my share of blowing things up as we had to learn as you go and HUs didnt have RCAs with having to wire amp up in High Level stages.Thank god for masking tape and that Multi color Bic pen!! LOL.Lots of wires to try and remember where and what speaker they went too with only one color of speaker wire back then!! I remember my first set of Pyramid tweeters I hot glued to the dash.LOL. I dont even remember owning a poloroid camera back then that spit out a picture due to the cost of the film?
Yeah. I actually had a Roadmaster radio with the eq also. Bought it in a package deal from Walmart. My very first radio that wasn’t stock. I think the one I bought was a 6x9s also. I had an old truck and just set the 6x9s also and just put them behind the seat. Man todays kids have it so much better than what we had starting out. Eventually I saved enough up for some Realistic mids and some big ass piezo tweeters that were Realistic from Radio Shack. I don’t think they really worked so I could hear anything…but I had them for bragging rights. I eventually bought some Realistic 15s and a booster eq. Man I didn’t know what the hell I was doing back then😂. Then finally graduated to a Majeatic amp which burned up a couple of times. I finally got my money back and bought a JVC 100w amp. That damn JVC amp was bullet proof. I put all kinds of **** on there wired wrong. That was back then JVC was pretty good. Finally my Roadmaster burned up and I bought a Sony cassette player and that began my preference for Sony.

I would never let those HiFinics or Autotek amps go for nothing if you can. Nothing like that out there in today’s world. Those guys were designed by Zed Audio. That guy know his stuff.

If space is short then a 15 is a bad choice. I'd take a ported 10 over a sealed 15.
Really? Man, you must have to have a hell of A box and some serious power to push those. I have enough room for a sealed box that would be efficient for just about anything, but I hear what you’re saying. A lot of people are running boxes with just one single woofer. I’m surprised by that.

Yeah. I actually had a Roadmaster radio with the eq also. Bought it in a package deal from Walmart. My very first radio that wasn’t stock. I think the one I bought was a 6x9s also. I had an old truck and just set the 6x9s also and just put them behind the seat. Man todays kids have it so much better than what we had starting out. Eventually I saved enough up for some Realistic mids and some big ass piezo tweeters that were Realistic from Radio Shack. I don’t think they really worked so I could hear anything…but I had them for bragging rights. I eventually bought some Realistic 15s and a booster eq. Man I didn’t know what the hell I was doing back then😂. Then finally graduated to a Majeatic amp which burned up a couple of times. I finally got my money back and bought a JVC 100w amp. That damn JVC amp was bullet proof. I put all kinds of **** on there wired wrong. That was back then JVC was pretty good. Finally my Roadmaster burned up and I bought a Sony cassette player and that began my preference for Sony.

I would never let those HiFinics or Autotek amps go for nothing if you can. Nothing like that out there in today’s world. Those guys were designed by Zed Audio. That guy know his stuff.
LOL. I prob got the Same Road Master Kit.. Mine was from K-Mart when they were around. Was in school and had me an Old 66 Fleetside long bed Chevy truck with a Straight 6 and 3on the Tree. I eventually upgraded to 6,6x9s laying on the back of the bench seat. It was loud back in those days.That old joker was my first $250 vehicle that I had to learn how to drive. green Hood, red door,white door black sided, and puke baby blue on the other and the wooden bed had holes the size of sand bags.Inside was pretty decent,.heater worked No A/C except those angled small windows and pull knob side vents under the dash. I painted it Brown out in the pasture with a paint brush. turned out pretty decent. Got about 50mpg ,Top speed down steep hill was about 65-68(Basicly in Neutral) 🤣 Closest town was about 15 miles out with a very small population of maybe 250-300.If you spit on the sidewalk someone knew about it. It wasnt big at all.Largest big town was about 25 miles away maybe.Nothing but sticks where I lived outside of town man off an Old rock road.Closest neighbor was about 6 miles away. 75 acres in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hundreds of acres. Swam in the pond like old azzed HillBillies,lol

I used to have a massive Zed collection. I still have quite a few, even selling a few to Grant(The Zed Man) for his Museum collection and others over the years.Had a Massive JBL amp collection,Alpine Duo-B collection,USA US Acoustics SeriesII,ADS collection,Concord,SStream,Coustic,Hott Setup,few Other Orions,Some Old Sansui Surfboards, Zapcos,Xtant,Few Audio Gods,H.Soundlabs,RF,Sony XM series,PPI,a bunch of amps,ect.I am not short on any amplifiers at this time. Steve made some really great pieces,and its amazing how long they have lasted for me and still work just fine and never had any issues out of most of mine. I put mine through some work, and most still look and work really well. I have one vehicle I like to swapp amps and run different setups in when I have time to mess around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...