RL-i8".....not what I expected

RL-i8.gif

That gives you a perspective on why you arent happy. The RL-i's T/S parameters lends it to being a ported enclosure woofer. Each of these is with 300w. 0.8cuft sealed, 1cuft ported and my bandpass enclosure.

Agian I must stress that WinISD is the worst box modleing program and the responce graphy is likely extremely inacurate. But it's free and I dont know what happened to my copy of BBP6. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Not as noticeable as playing it free-air vs it being in an enclosure. He claims it has no output at all and wonders if it is on. In my enclosure with the giant hole in it, I can **** sure hear the sub and covering the hole does NOT gain me even 3 dB on my radio shack meter. I'm talking a 3" diameter hole and not some slight amount of air coming out between the baffle and the carpet.
small holes are worse than big ones. slow leaks gradually case odd pressure changes and hinder cone movement.

small holes are worse than big ones. slow leaks gradually case odd pressure changes and hinder cone movement.
It's not going to cause a 3dB difference in output. Sealing a small leak in a small sealed enclosure will NOT give you a 3dB or more gain. It's not going to happen.

I do agree with you that the sub is not suited for sealed enclosures and could be very possible why he is not happy with it. Even with that, he should be able to hear something unless he has crossovers, gains, or wiring done incorrectly.

I think I would agree with Imacomputer. If he can barely tell the thing is on there is no way sealing a small leak is going to help that much. I doubt it's only because he's running a single 8 either. You should definetely be aware of it's presence at 300 wrms. What's between you and the trunk? Is it a huge car? Check your wiring and mess with your HU settings too. I installed a new HU not long ago and was very disappointed in my sub performance until I played with every setting I could find and finally found one that fixed my problem.

It sealed up completely and its not really any better.I tried turning up the Sub out all the way and it doesn't really help that much. I tried reversing the polarity too and that didn't do jack...

Uhhhh, I can't even hear it over my components when I take the high pass off...bad right?

Um, how loud is it by the sub? Like in the trunk or wherever you have it? It seems you either have a defective sub (or you did something wrong somewhere) or you're going to need something a little bigger.

I can sit with my head right by the sub with my volume at 6/8 playing late night tip and not blink...

I think ill drop by car toys and pick up a sub just to get a bench mark ya know? Im pretty sure I've done everything right.

It sealed up completely and its not really any better.I tried turning up the Sub out all the way and it doesn't really help that much. I tried reversing the polarity too and that didn't do jack...
Uhhhh, I can't even hear it over my components when I take the high pass off...bad right?
high pass on your sub amp??

You've clearly got an install issue if you can barely hear the sub.

Go out and push the cone in lightly. If it comes back out instantly, the box is completely sealed. If it slowly comes back out, there is a leak in the box.

To give you an idea on how important sealing the box is, here's an example. I built a 4.5cube sealed box to see what a 12" would do in such a large box. I was able to flex the roof of my jeep a good inch at 20hz. I took the sub out, put it back in, and it was 10 fold quieter because of a tiny air leak between the mounting ring and the box.

RL-i8.gif

That gives you a perspective on why you arent happy. The RL-i's T/S parameters lends it to being a ported enclosure woofer. Each of these is with 300w. 0.8cuft sealed, 1cuft ported and my bandpass enclosure.

Agian I must stress that WinISD is the worst box modleing program and the responce graphy is likely extremely inacurate. But it's free and I dont know what happened to my copy of BBP6. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
make the ported chamber alittle bigger 1.25cubes and have 1 3inch round port 12inches long

The amp that I'm running the sub off is a PPI 4 channel. The front two channels are running the Focals which is where that high pass is on. The sub is on the rear two channels bridged with a low pass on it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.