RL-i8".....not what I expected

I thought at first it was just because it was such a solid car and the sound just didnt make it into the cabin but I took the ski pass out and have the center armrest down in the back seat. I dont have 6x9's in the rear deck either since I took them out a long time ago...

Some woofers just don't excel in a sealed box. I had an extremely similar situation like you with an Orion HCCA. It moved a lot but no bass. Ported it and it knocked my sox off.

Moral of this? PORT IT and stop complaining!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

*EDIT*

Another similar experience with Memphis M3's...not favoring the sealed.

before you go spend more money on a new sub, just pick up a 3" precision port from parts express, cut it to length, and screw it in. should be around the right size ported for an 8 and maybe you will like it better. if so, then thats only like 20 bucks not over 100 for a whole new sub.

Silly thing is that he is trying to sell it instead of getting it right. That is not how to learn.
He has help on its way tonight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

We are going to take a look at it and see what we can do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Silly thing is that he is trying to sell it instead of getting it right. That is not how to learn.
I tried everything EXCEPT port it, I swear. I just don't want a ported box, I made a sealed box for SQ purposes and thats what I plan to have.

By the way, why do you always post in bold???

I tried everything EXCEPT port it, I swear. I just don't want a ported box, I made a sealed box for SQ purposes and thats what I plan to have.
By the way, why do you always post in bold???
Cause Aaron has always posted in bold. Its like is trademark. Calm down and we will get it resolved tonight man.

Just to let you know...A nice ported box is just as good for SQ as a sealed box. The advantage of a ported box is output, the sound "quality" if built right will be the same.

Cause Aaron has always posted in bold. Its like is trademark. Calm down and we will get it resolved tonight man.
Sorry, im just pissed because I was expecting greatness from this sub:crap:

I'm bitter but the girlfriend got home last night so things will be ok:naughty:

He has help on its way tonight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
We are going to take a look at it and see what we can do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Good, I hate to see someone who is new to this, to sell something before it is done right and has a fair opinion on it.

That is fine, but after reading this whole thread, I get the feeling the box needs some help and you are expecting a great deal of output. Sorry I did not want to seem critical, just not a fan of giving up. I own the same sub, so I know from experience.

A sealed 8 is not going to blow you away on output. Honestly, let Justin build you a good little ported box for you and give it a chance. There have been plenty of people who own the RL-i's and port them and get great things.

Also, did you use speaker gasketing tape? The 8" RL-I's really need it. I've discussed this with Mike at SS before and he agrees, he's gotten several complaints about incomplete sealing, resulting in a chuffing sound. Also, make sure you use the correct screws to mount the driver...

My 8er in a 0.7 ft^3 ~ 24hz box gets pretty loud... I wish I tuned it higher even though its for HT use, but I can't imagine your sub being "bad"...

Just to let you know...A nice ported box is just as good for SQ as a sealed box. The advantage of a ported box is output, the sound "quality" if built right will be the same.
I agree, try the ported and then plug the port and see how you like it. Go back and forth and you will hear the differences and then make a decision. Justin will hook you up.

I don't mean to revive old threads, but I was searching for info on the RLi 8 and this is the only topic where I've found a horrible review. Was this resolved? I searched through the OPs threads and found he was selling it a few days after saying he didn't have enough power for the sub. What happened here? =/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.