Replace the amp?

WIN27

CarAudio.com Newbie
NYC
I’ve been troubleshooting an issue in my truck for a while now. Here’s where I’m at. 2014 Toyota Tundra crewmax. Stock speakers and head unit. Aftermarket amp and two subwoofers behind the backseats. I had the amp installed when I bought the truck in 2014. A year or so after I wasn’t getting much power. Turned out to be a bad ground. Everything was fine after running a new ground until around the beginning of the year.

The bass just wasn’t there like it used to be. At low volume I couldn’t hear it, or sometimes it will pop and distort (only in the subwoofer). I tried connecting my phone directly to the amp. I still got the distortion. So I ruled out LOC or wiring issue from head unit. I then tried an old amp I had lying around. It sounded much better for a couple weeks. Then it started doing similar.

Last night I took another subwoofer down to test if it was the subwoofers. Different wires to different subwoofers. Same thing. At high volume they sound great. At low levels there’s distortion, they pop. The subs in there are JL 8”W3 from 2014. The first amp was probably 15 years old, the second was about 20. I’m currently thinking maybe the amps just have some bad capacitors or something considering their age. It was a little odd that they both did it though. Any ideas or suggestions before I order a new amp? Thanks

Your signal is probably not good. The loc doesn’t have to be broken for an loc to be a bad solution.

I suspected that at first. I plugged my phone in directly to the amp with a 3.5 to rca and had the same problem. Which completely eliminates the loc

You tried different subs, amp, signal. As improbable as it may be, only common factor here has been your power wires. You have already had ground problems so maybe power cable is on the same boat. I would re-do all the connection points and run a cable from the engine to a strut tower bolt for good measure.

You tried different subs, amp, signal. As improbable as it may be, only common factor here has been your power wires. You have already had ground problems so maybe power cable is on the same boat. I would re-do all the connection points and run a cable from the engine to a strut tower bolt for good measure.
I like this^^^ Refresh your Supply wiring at all your supply connections, to get rid of any corrosion that may exist with a fresh connection.I would even replace old fuses as they do become weak from heat and or corrosion over time. If you havent done the Big 3 yet, I would consider it in the near future as well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.