Reccomendation for subwoofer amp.

Participant count
  • Participant list

SmTeras

CarAudio.com Newbie
Estonia
Hi!

Bugging you guys once again. I'm looking for an amplifier for a subwoofer since my old one finally gave out.
My subwoofer is Gladen SQX 12, and I want to drive it at its max power ( 600rms at 4ohm).
( I usually listen to pretty loud music and also I like all the bass i can get)
I dont need all the bells an whistles to my amp but I also don't want 0 option entry level amp either.
My budget is around 300-500€ (once again, i can be a little flexible on the budget if needed) and I prefer amp to be brand new ( Also i don't care about any Pioneer amps, never liked them and never will)

Some options I have looked out so far:
Alpine S2-A120M
Alpine X-A90M
Hertz Mille ML Power 1
JBL Club A1000
GLADEN RC 1800c1 Class D

I had Alpine X-A90M in my old car and I really liked it, but I'm looking at all the options I can get, since I don't have option to test anything beforehand.
I'm also open to any suggestions.

Every type of help and experience with helps.

I've used this, the H-KO2, H-KO3 and the EXL 2500.1, all are hard working, cool running, quality Korean board designs. The H-KO2 Hooligan Monoblock will feed 950 Watts at 4 ohms all day long, never break a sweat. With extra room to spare, you don't have to set the gains nearly as high. Enjoy lots of headroom and never work the amp hard at all.

Another stellar performer id the SI SIQ-1500.1

SIQ 1500 D (Class D) Specifications​

Rated RMS power into 1 Ohm1500 watts
Rated RMS power into 2 Ohms900 watts
Rated RMS power into 4 Ohms600 watts
THD0.15%
S/N ratio85 dB
Idle current draw1.3 A
Maximum current draw173 A
Frequency bandwidth5 Hz to 200 Hz
Dimensions16.5″ x 8″ x 2″ (WxDxH)
RCA input maximum16 Volts

Mosconi pro 1|10 should be easily available for you at a fair price considering it's a sister company to gladen.

The alpine r series and x series amps are quite nice the s series haven't measured as nicely even though they all make rated power.

Unfortunately this is a primarily USA based forum so you will likely get a lot of recommendations for products easily available here.

The stereo integrity amps are nice as are sundown amps but may be more difficult to locate for you.

JBL would have my nod. JBL has always been a quality product they can take a beating. There is also the Infinity version of their amps.

You can also check out the Precision power A1800.1D. It's a Korean made amp, so you know it will also be a good quality amp. These are actually going pretty cheap right now. I'm guessing to make room for an updated model. Amazon has them at $130 right now. Or, you can opt for the PC1800.1D, which is selling for $260. Again, these are both Korean made and not China made.

Amazon product ASIN B0C3FK91FJ
Amazon product ASIN B09WZL1423

I've used this, the H-KO2, H-KO3 and the EXL 2500.1, all are hard working, cool running, quality Korean board designs. The H-KO2 Hooligan Monoblock will feed 950 Watts at 4 ohms all day long, never break a sweat. With extra room to spare, you don't have to set the gains nearly as high. Enjoy lots of headroom and never work the amp hard at all.

Another stellar performer id the SI SIQ-1500.1

SIQ 1500 D (Class D) Specifications​

Rated RMS power into 1 Ohm1500 watts
Rated RMS power into 2 Ohms900 watts
Rated RMS power into 4 Ohms600 watts
THD0.15%
S/N ratio85 dB
Idle current draw1.3 A
Maximum current draw173 A
Frequency bandwidth5 Hz to 200 Hz
Dimensions16.5″ x 8″ x 2″ (WxDxH)
RCA input maximum16 Volts
These are interesting, will look into them and see how easy it would be to get them to estonia.

Mosconi pro 1|10 should be easily available for you at a fair price considering it's a sister company to gladen.

The alpine r series and x series amps are quite nice the s series haven't measured as nicely even though they all make rated power.

Unfortunately this is a primarily USA based forum so you will likely get a lot of recommendations for products easily available here.

The stereo integrity amps are nice as are sundown amps but may be more difficult to locate for you.
Well mosonic Pro is near 500wrms rather than 600wrms, and also they cost around 700€ here, 200€ increase is a little too steep for me right now. I don't know anything about S series amps either, just saw that they are available here. I have used X series amps and they have been great so far, I just tought if i'm able to get anything better for the price since I haven't been able to test a lot of stuff.

JBL would have my nod. JBL has always been a quality product they can take a beating. There is also the Infinity version of their amps.

You can also check out the Precision power A1800.1D. It's a Korean made amp, so you know it will also be a good quality amp. These are actually going pretty cheap right now. I'm guessing to make room for an updated model. Amazon has them at $130 right now. Or, you can opt for the PC1800.1D, which is selling for $260. Again, these are both Korean made and not China made.

Amazon product ASIN B0C3FK91FJ
Amazon product ASIN B09WZL1423
JBL is kind of weird situation for me. I really love all the stuff JBL makes, from regular audio to car audio, but I feel like there are alot of brands that offer little higer performance at the same pricepoint. Also I haven't been able to test any of JBL amps and neither have I seen anyone who runs one daily.

ebay UK, these pioneer amplifiers are pretty sold performers.

Again I don't wan't to do anything with Pioneer stuff. Maybe it's my personal thing but I genuinely hate everything that Pioneer makes. Everything that I have seen fail is Pioneer, and everything I have seen being used has offered mediocre performance so far. I've never liked them and I think that I never will.

JBL is kind of weird situation for me. I really love all the stuff JBL makes, from regular audio to car audio, but I feel like there are alot of brands that offer little higer performance at the same pricepoint. Also I haven't been able to test any of JBL amps and neither have I seen anyone who runs one daily.
Sound quality is a personal preference. I heard the JBL amps and they do their job quite well. The bass is accurate and smooth. It also pounded hard when needed. Depending on what sound you want, will determine the amp to get. If you are looking for something that is just smooth and accurate, then you would get a high quality SQ amp. If you want something that just pounds the crap out of your speakers, and your ears, then you would look at an SPL type amp. The JBL is pretty much in the middle. Besides, JBL/Harmon Kardon is the biggest audio company in the world. They are not known to make crappy audio equipment.

If you do a search on best audio equipment in the world, you will consistently see Harmon/JBL on the list.

As with any large line, Harmon Industries has the good,bad and some ugly too. I like JBL, wouldn't rank it any different that the GM-D series from Pioneer or PPI, or the standard Sony line. Now, the Mobile ES line from Sony, The PRS line from Pioneer, as better than most of the standard JBL line. Right now, I'd still look at the Recoil/NVX/Stinger lines as equal to the JBL or most of the Harmon Industries (amp) offerings in the same price category as generally speaking, they offer the same build quality with more output per dollar in a similar build.

DS18 has a number of amplifiers in that range too, as does CT sounds, Sundown, Skar, Taramps, Black Diamond, SlapZ, etc. Then there are the Brazilian models, Taramps, Martz, PRV, Stetsom, Timpano, Banda, SounDigital, they too have base, middle and better offerings in their lineup. None of which I think rise to the build and SQ of the Korean lines like the DS18 Hooligan, DS18 EXL, SoundQubed, Nemesis, Sundown, Deaf Bonce, DB Drive, and other non Korean designs like Rockford Fosgate, JL audio, Focal, Hertz, Mosconi, Musway, Helix, etc.

If you're going to play in that fast and furious, ridiculously competitive 1500-2000 watt, $195 to $229 price, then any of those name brand, build house but established manufactures put out a decent product. Take your pick.

Putting JBL, PPI, Pioneer GM series, NVX, Stinger in the same league as the DS18 Hooligan, DS18 EXL, SoundQubed, Nemesis, Sundown, Deaf Bonce, DB Drive, and other non Korean designs like Rockford Fosgate, JL audio, Focal, Hertz, Mosconi, Musway, Helix, etc, etc. would not be fair or accurate, and you pay for it. You pay to play, longer and at a higher level, that is it pretty much. It all boils down to what meets the need and what the budget would allow.

Taking advice from people in these forums that have decades of experience in audio may be subjective, but probably a better bet than a hunch or based on awards given to a Company like Harmon Industries with it's vast number of lines where a few of the names stand out from very limited production runs comparative to the mass produced stuff the dump on the market. Put enough out there, you're going to score points with someone, somewhere, it's a numbers game for sure.

Example - you say that you don;t care of for Pioneer, I respect that. But if we're counting reputations, well, Pioneer has probably one of the most prestigious car audio trophy/award collections in the industry - by far.

Now, what was the need/budget?

;)

As with any large line, Harmon Industries has the good,bad and some ugly too. I like JBL, wouldn't rank it any different that the GM-D series from Pioneer or PPI, or the standard Sony line. Now, the Mobile ES line from Sony, The PRS line from Pioneer, as better than most of the standard JBL line. Right now, I'd still look at the Recoil/NVX/Stinger lines as equal to the JBL or most of the Harmon Industries (amp) offerings in the same price category as generally speaking, they offer the same build quality with more output per dollar in a similar build.

DS18 has a number of amplifiers in that range too, as does CT sounds, Sundown, Skar, Taramps, Black Diamond, SlapZ, etc. Then there are the Brazilian models, Taramps, Martz, PRV, Stetsom, Timpano, Banda, SounDigital, they too have base, middle and better offerings in their lineup. None of which I think rise to the build and SQ of the Korean lines like the DS18 Hooligan, DS18 EXL, SoundQubed, Nemesis, Sundown, Deaf Bonce, DB Drive, and other non Korean designs like Rockford Fosgate, JL audio, Focal, Hertz, Mosconi, Musway, Helix, etc.

If you're going to play in that fast and furious, ridiculously competitive 1500-2000 watt, $195 to $229 price, then any of those name brand, build house but established manufactures put out a decent product. Take your pick.

Putting JBL, PPI, Pioneer GM series, NVX, Stinger in the same league as the DS18 Hooligan, DS18 EXL, SoundQubed, Nemesis, Sundown, Deaf Bonce, DB Drive, and other non Korean designs like Rockford Fosgate, JL audio, Focal, Hertz, Mosconi, Musway, Helix, etc, etc. would not be fair or accurate, and you pay for it. You pay to play, longer and at a higher level, that is it pretty much. It all boils down to what meets the need and what the budget would allow.

Taking advice from people in these forums that have decades of experience in audio may be subjective, but probably a better bet than a hunch or based on awards given to a Company like Harmon Industries with it's vast number of lines where a few of the names stand out from very limited production runs comparative to the mass produced stuff the dump on the market. Put enough out there, you're going to score points with someone, somewhere, it's a numbers game for sure.

Example - you say that you don;t care of for Pioneer, I respect that. But if we're counting reputations, well, Pioneer has probably one of the most prestigious car audio trophy/award collections in the industry - by far.

Now, what was the need/budget?

;)

I'm not sure if I read it wrong, but PPI is a Korean made amp.

I'm not sure if I read it wrong, but PPI is a Korean made amp.
Some. Again, that price on that PPI is pretty darn good. But many of the designs in that price range are too. Comes down to personal preference (appearance and features) and watts per dollar more than anything else in that market segment.

JBL absolutely has better amps than nvx...recoil...stinger...and I'd take them over anything pioneer produces these days

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...