Rattle Proofing my car after getting subs?... how?

mik3v
10+ year member

Alright so my neighbor gave me and helped me install two 10 inch subs and a 300 watt bridged amp in my 96 Mustang's trunk and we did everything to make it look professionally done and neat (like running the cords under the carpet and plastic piece along the door).

But now, the plastic piece that runs from one side of my car to the other ALONG the back window is seriously rattling against the window and makes an awful sound even when theres only a little bass... How can I fix this easily and cheaply, or the professional way to do it to? Thanks Guys,

Michael

its not secured properly or it wouldn't rattle. is the panel screwed down to something? if u can't screw it down then you're just gonna have to deal with it. you could put something between the panel and the window, but it'll probably still make some noise

its not secured properly or it wouldn't rattle. is the panel screwed down to something? if u can't screw it down then you're just gonna have to deal with it. you could put something between the panel and the window, but it'll probably still make some noise
Umm... If you're talking about my subs, they are definitely secured properly but I don't know about the Plastic piece.. It seems when they made the car they didn't expect it to be rattling from ridiculous vibrations lol. I think it's so stupid how it was made.. .the plastic piece just rests against the window... ..with that, of course vibrations would make it super noisy. I CANT just deal with it; at the least, I'm going to put something between the plastic piece and the window. I'm just not sure what kind of stuff. Right now i stuffed some papertowels between it and it makes it soooo much better but that IS just temporary, I cant leave it all cheap looking like that, drives me nuts. So I'm just still trying to find out how to better secure it down or what kind or foam or something to cut and place between the window and the plastic piece.

Thanks the greatest penn.

I assume you are talking about the plastic trim panel that is mounted to the top of the rear deck, AKA the parcel shelf. Go to Home Depot and get some self-adhesive black weatherstripping. Run it along the edge of the plastic panel that hits the window. If you are st;ll getting rattles between the trim panel and the metal shelf it sits on, get some foam sheeting and put it between the two surfaces.

I assume you are talking about the plastic trim panel that is mounted to the top of the rear deck, AKA the parcel shelf. Go to Home Depot and get some self-adhesive black weatherstripping. Run it along the edge of the plastic panel that hits the window. If you are st;ll getting rattles between the trim panel and the metal shelf it sits on, get some foam sheeting and put it between the two surfaces.
This right here is probably the best idea to try. Beats what I was thinking, I was gonna recommend getting some kind of adhesive/silicone and put it between the panel and the rear deck to try and keep it in place, but if the rear deck is flexing too much it would still make noise...

I like Rudy's idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif!

Here are some pictures of the area I'm talking about, the plastic piece that rests against my rear windshield...

Close up: You can see where I put some paper towels to temporarily dampen the vibration and rattling against the glass.

Summer2009078.jpg

Whole Back Windshield (the farther plastic piece against the window is rattling against the window.

Summer2009081-1.jpg

Do you have or can you find a pic of the area? I can't picture it.
Yeah, just went and took some. They are above. Thanks

This right here is probably the best idea to try. Beats what I was thinking, I was gonna recommend getting some kind of adhesive/silicone and put it between the panel and the rear deck to try and keep it in place, but if the rear deck is flexing too much it would still make noise...
I like Rudy's idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif!
Haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it sounds good to me.

I posted a picture of it but you sound right in your explanation.

Is this the stuff I need from homedepot: this?

And what kind of foam sheeting? I want the rattling to completely stop! haha

Thanks again

Is this the stuff I need from homedepot: this?

And what kind of foam sheeting? I want the rattling to completely stop! haha

Thanks again
Yep, that would be the self-adhesive weather stripping he's talking about. It works wonders for a lot of things //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I want the rattling to completely stop! haha
Completely killing the rattles may depend on what is mounted to the rear deck. It looks pretty clean back there, but some cars have seat belt rollers and mounts, trunk lift springs and all sorts of other things above and below. If that is the case, you really have to take a look at each potential source. If you are getting resonance in either the plastic or sheet metal some vibration damper may be called for.

To answer your question about the foam sheeting, there are many sources of closed cell foam in sheet form that is intended for automotive use.

Yep, that would be the self-adhesive weather stripping he's talking about. It works wonders for a lot of things //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks!

Completely killing the rattles may depend on what is mounted to the rear deck. It looks pretty clean back there, but some cars have seat belt rollers and mounts, trunk lift springs and all sorts of other things above and below. If that is the case, you really have to take a look at each potential source. If you are getting resonance in either the plastic or sheet metal some vibration damper may be called for.
To answer your question about the foam sheeting, there are many sources of closed cell foam in sheet form that is intended for automotive use.
Alright Thanks. Yeah, 99% of the rattling is coming from that plastic piece against the glass... Ive tightened and secured everything else.

Thanks a bunch. ill look into the cell foam stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.