Need help with sound deadening and sound proofing

Brax1942

CarAudio.com Newbie
Arkansas
So I am finally starting my build in my large Ford suv and I want to do sound deadening and sound proofing using weighted stick on deadened mat like Dynamat and then I also plan to use 2lb mass loaded vinyl with closed cell foam in between the mass loaded vinyl and the Dynamat style sound deadener. I plan to do my floor and firewall. Plus under my headliner and behind my door panels.

My questions for you guys are:

1. Where is the most economical place to get closed cell foam?

2. What is the best bang for your buck Dynamat style sound deadener mat? A generic brand would be preferred.

Thanks guys!

Closed cell foam is better for road noise than deadening for bass frequencies. I used the butyl Siless brand off Amazon, and it isn’t too bad. I used closed cell foam deadener in strategic places where road noise was an issue (tire well and rear where the taillights are mostly), then I did my layer of butyl sound deadener for the bass on top of the closed cell foam deadener.

I have used the Siles too, it's decent. I like the NVX better. The Amazon Prime stuff looks decent enough as well, but since I've used the NVX at around the same price, I'm comfortable staying with it. There is one brand that I won't make the mistake of getting again. WEIZE from Amazon. Peels up around the edges like a mofo!!!

I went with Kilmat in my Mazda 3 sedan and am happy with the performance for the price. I did the entire car and not just the trunk for a good bit cheaper than if I went with Dynamat.

Many years ago, I used a butyl-based deadener that I purchased on Amazon. After a lot of research, Butyl-based products were recommended. The Siless liner also appears to be a good product.
Good luck.

Killmat is asphalt based. For a good group on what is the best check out The Deadening on facebook. Group owner has invested a ton of time and money testing every sound deadener out there on his own dime. Resonix is always top and down from there.

Killmat is asphalt based. For a good group on what is the best check out The Deadening on facebook. Group owner has invested a ton of time and money testing every sound deadener out there on his own dime. Resonix is always top and down from there.

Not sure about all their products, but what I ordered wasn't asphalt based. There was very little smell to it at all.

Killmat and a couple others are the same products. Proven by testing done in that group and has been known to use asphalt in their products a lot. Neighbor has some and it stinks to high heaven of asphalt. Thankfully I was able to stop him from using it and him getting something else put in there.

No stanky issues with the NVX or the Siles once it's laid up. Faint, to begin with, is non-existent when everything is put down over it. AND while I understand that Resonix is the bee's knees, it stings like a bee too, in the pocketbook!

Last edited:
Yes but there is a lot better products out there then KillMat and he knows Resonix is expensive hence why he tests EVERYTHING out there and does a huge list on every single test and sound deadner in case you can't afford Resonix.

Also just because once it is down doesn't mean that an issue can't happen. Seen photos on a couple forums and from installers that had to remove Killmat and the other 2 the same company makes. Everything was melted from heat in several different states. So no it isn't non-existent once everything is put down. You can still run into issues.

Look Yeah Resonix is the best and it is expensive. But that guy does every test you can think of including best for your budget. A lot of sound deadening is just restamped with a different name except stuff like Resonix and a couple others.

Last edited:
Yes but there is a lot better products out there then KillMat and he knows Resonix is expensive hence why he tests EVERYTHING out there and does a huge list on every single test and sound deadner in case you can't afford Resonix.

Also just because once it is down doesn't mean that an issue can't happen. Seen photos on a couple forums and from installers that had to remove Killmat and the other 2 the same company makes. Everything was melted from heat in several different states. So no it isn't non-existent once everything is put down. You can still run into issues.

Look Yeah Resonix is the best and it is expensive. But that guy does every test you can think of including best for your budget. A lot of sound deadening is just restamped with a different name except stuff like Resonix and a couple others.
I get that, so, here in Boise, not an issue.

As I said check out the facebook group called "The Deadening" they can give a ton more information then here for a good budget sound deadener in your price range and what you want to accomplish.

Tried to link it but the site won't let me.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...