Questions on Box design for 10" Alpine Type R

Kylek113

Hi guys. I recently bought a 10" alpine type R, and it is currently in an Atrend prefab box, at 1.25 Cu ft and tuned at 42Hz. It is sitting on the rear drivers seat of my 2013 dodge ram, facing foreword. I am running an alpine m1000 at 1000 watts rms, although I will be switching to a Jl jx1000.1D amp as the alpine will be going back in my car in the spring. I am finding this box cannot produce the bass and low end punch I am looking for, so I'm looking at building a bigger box that's tuned quite a bit lower. I found some plans for a box online, and am wondering if anyone can tell me if a 2.5 cu ft box tuned at 34 hz is going to work with this sub or if that is too large of a box. I listen to a large range of music, including country, pop, rock and roll, but mainly metal, hard rock, and dub step. I also listen to rap and other bass heavy music, but no matter what I listen to, I always like the bass as deep as possible. I would also like to know if this box will work for this sub, is it going to hit hard and will it be clean, or should I just go to a 12? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok. Have you ever ran a type R before? Do you know what size box is usually the biggest people tend to go with them? I want to try and get the loudest/ deepest sound I can get out of this sub.

If it's the new generation type r the biggest box recommended is 1.3 cu ft. I'm gonna build 2 seperated boxes soon each 1.28 tuned to 32hz. I'll let you know how they do. Also just to mention be careful with that sub in a vented box especially tuned high neither one of those amps have a subsonic filter(the alpine does but it is set at way to low of a frequency.

You'd be fine with a 2.5 cube box for that sub but not tuned so high. If you like lows, tune the box at 30Hz and you'll be happy.

And it doesn't matter what the max recommended box size for the sub is... because it's a recommendation, not a limit. Manufacturers recommend box volumes based on a variety of criteria, one of which is the best (safest) power handling for the sub. When you go larger you just have to be aware that the sub won't handle as much power as it will in a small box. That said, it isn't like the sub will be in grave danger. They can normally handle more than rated in an average enclosure and you're not planning to run this sub with more that rated power so you're good. Just be sure the gain is set properly.

Ok I found out I only have room for a 1.75 cube box. Do you think 34 is too high? From what I understand the lower you tune the quieter the sound is so I don't want to compromise the sound level too much for the low notes. Is there a huge difference between 34 and 30? Would 32 be a good compromise between the 2?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.