Questions for designing a ported enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list
So, I have some knowledge on the basics of building subwoofer enclosures, but have a couple questions. I am planning on building a ported box for 2 Skar Audio DDX-12's (1000 RMS @ 2 ohm) wired to a 1 ohm load (amp is a Skar Audio RP-1500.1D). Here are my questions:

1. Do you have to tune your box to the specific tuning frequency (38 Hz for these specific subs) or is that just a recommendation?

2. What is the relationship between port area and the tuning frequency?

3. In terms of general subwoofer design for ported boxes, is there any specific designs I should avoid / seek out?

Those DDX will go low but seem to lose some output if you tune below 35hz. That sub loves a 35-36hz tune in my experience. You are aware that the configuration has a huge influence on the final outcome? What type of vehicle are you working with?

Trunk huh? Any idea of what dimensions will go in?

What'll fit and go in are 2 different things unless you're building it in the car... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing around in Sketchup lately, tryin' to refine my skills... I modeled those DDX in Winisd for the h*ll of it and drew something up that'll let you take advantage of the additional power handling if you ever upgrade amps. I used a +2K input signal to size the port area so upgrading the amp would really let those subs open up.

I came up with a tune just under 36hz in about 4.25 ft3 net that looks like a great daily that'll get pretty loud if you ever upgrade the amp, I used 2500 watts when modeling it in Winisd. Can you fit 36" width x 15" high x 22.5" deep?

Just playin around... lol... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

Yea, I know. The trunk of a 99 Civic actually has more space than you think. Obviously its gonna be very challenging, but I'm gonna make it work.
guy here has civic with 1 15 he got 3.65cf ad takes whole trunk..

Yea those dimensions just might work. The possible dimensions im thinking about right now are about 40" x 15" x 20
Merry christmas... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

b7HdZo.jpg

Tu1Rsj.jpg

fKxw3q.jpg

2pfxus.jpg

PoHCGQ.jpg

v5tbOB.jpg

2lzKxE.jpg

It's for either subs up/port back SUV style or subs/port same side... in your application I would trunk wall the thing. That's me tho, and a ton of extra work too, to do it right... lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.