2006 stereo upgrade questions?

Booger68

CarAudio.com Recruit
Ky
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2006 pontiac g6 sedan.
The boys got me some boat speakers for it🤪😜😛. They are polkdb 652's door and 692's rear deck. I got an Alpine ilxw650. Its all installed and sounds better than factory and gets me a little more modern set up.
I'm fixing to get an amp next as the head unit only has I think 14 watts a channel.
Here is what I'm looking at
1: https://www.woofersetc.com/c-3-ampl...nnel-600w-rms-sound-q-class-ab-amplifier.html
2: https://www.down4soundshop.com/down4sound-jp34-ab-purple-590w-rms-4-channel-amplifier/
3: https://usacousticsca.com/barbara-ann-4-channel-amplifier.html
Shooting for sound quality out of the boat speakers.
I may add a 8 or 10in sub later on but one thing at a time.

I listen to mostly rock and some outlaw country sometimes. AC/DC TO ZEPPELIN.

If ya'll recommend the 4 channels i can add a designated amp for the sub when cash allows.
What do ya'll think and any suggestions are welcome.

Booger

Nice choice on a HU with 4v 6ch RCA out for expandability for additions of amplifiers.
The D4S amplifier is a nice choice for power on tap with headroom. I have been using a CT Sounds 150.4 that delivers nice clean enough power and is a bit compact/ may be the size of a paperback book that would be great for the speakers you have now. Id recommend it. I would also recommend running a 0ga amplifier installation supply wiring kit prepared for your sub stage later that way you do not have to run supply wiring and ground wiring again for the sub amplifier. Those Polk speakers are great speakers and will sound very nice on an amplifier, and should serve very well.

Xscorpian is made by Stinger and Ive used these for several installs and never had any issues. Excellent distribution fused block. Use a 120 for the 150.4 that is called for and later use what is called for for sub amp. The 150 at the Battery will work fine for the wiring supply for the 150.4 for now. Save the RCAs above for the Sub amplifier later.

Excellent Ground block for both amplifiers.

I use stinger RCAs and have never had any issues thus far for years but may be a little more than most will pay for. Sky High has a decent set to reach the trunk for a 4ch set.You may even want to look at Mono Price which are a great set of RCAs as well for the $.You can get 2 sets of 25ft 2ch RCAs for like $12 ea, or the Knuconcept 19ft below

You can get 4ga OFC by the Ft for ground and Power for the 4ch amplifier from GP Audio,Sky High Audio or even Knuconcepts and the like

I would recommend placing these behind the speakers in the doors, and even look for some 6x9 ones to try to prepare to seal off the 6x9s before you add the sub/subs to help protect those from Xmax pressure issues from the sub/subs so those dont get damaged. For the doors, these will help to get a bit better sound out of them, as well as protect the speakers from future corrosion and moisture issues in the doors. when you drill the hole for adding the speaker wire from the amplifier,I recommend at the rear bottom will be best in most cases. These are cheap and worth placing in the doors as well as rear deck speakers as well.

Amazon product ASIN B00FKH6H6Y

Thanks Audiobaun. Looks like about everything I need for my install. Is the ct amp an ab amp? I guess my half deaf 55yr old ears probably can't tell the difference anyway. Just been doing a little reading and ab keeps popping up.

Booger

Thanks Audiobaun. Looks like about everything I need for my install. Is the ct amp an ab amp? I guess my half deaf 55yr old ears probably can't tell the difference anyway. Just been doing a little reading and ab keeps popping up.

Booger
Its a Class D, and very efficient. I have been using one for well over a yr now along with a 2k. Great amps for the $ of my using. Ill be at your age soon enough. I would run a single 10" ported in the trunk, like an American Bass XFL on 1k-1500 rms. Be a nice blend, that 10 will be strong enough to get that cabin filled with the bass response needed. Tune to 32Htz

Forgot to ask would I need 1/0 wire from the battery to the trunk for 2 amps to be ready when I do the sub later on?

Booger
Yes. That is why I posted the 0ga wiring kit,to supply both amplifiers. that way you do not have make two runs of 4ga to keep up with the supply for the demand.The Mini Anl fuse goes in the rear at the amplifiers,You may need to get some 14ga speaker wire that I forgot to mention. That will be approx. $40 bucks for a 50ft spool maybe. I usually get 100-500ft spools for my needs from Mono Price

You are more than welcome to PM me to go over what youd like to do and I can recommend items on the budget side to look for to save some $,and if you need help Installing, I can ask questions ect. I can help if needed

There is no sense in spending more than you need too, and its nice to prep for the future sub,and have everything ready to put in. Running the wiring,and Rcas is prob the most time consuming of the project.

That's Great. I'll take you up on that. I think the stuff you suggested wil be pretty good. Id rather just do it one time on the wires and stuff. Hopefully this is the last time taking all the plastic off. Kinda scary its pretty brittle🤪😜😛.

Thanks for your help looking forward to picking your brain some more

Booger

I will say.. Im pleased that you have chosen Polk speakers. Those will play @ a lower db than most speakers on the market for the money to provide a little more bas/midbass upfront. I have 3 sets of those 6.5s, and really like them, or I wouldnt run them myself or recommend to anyone. Great speakers for the money

That's Great. I'll take you up on that. I think the stuff you suggested wil be pretty good. Id rather just do it one time on the wires and stuff. Hopefully this is the last time taking all the plastic off. Kinda scary its pretty brittle🤪😜😛.

Booger
Absolutely. I can relate as I do quite a bit of amp,speaker,and HU swapping in one of my 98 xcab/3dr Chevy trucks. Ive been in this Hobby since the early 80s if that tells you my age. LOL. But.. I am still learning , especially with all this new Digital world. I like to keep things as simplistic as possible if I can lol. That CT Sounds amp will be excellent for your 4 ch amp needs.Perfect

Booger

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2006 pontiac g6 sedan.
The boys got me some boat speakers for it🤪😜😛. They are polkdb 652's door and 692's rear deck. I got an Alpine ilxw650. Its all installed and sounds better than factory and gets me a little more modern set up.
I'm fixing to get an amp next as the head unit only has I think 14 watts a channel.
Here is what I'm looking at
1: https://www.woofersetc.com/c-3-ampl...nnel-600w-rms-sound-q-class-ab-amplifier.html
2: https://www.down4soundshop.com/down4sound-jp34-ab-purple-590w-rms-4-channel-amplifier/
3: https://usacousticsca.com/barbara-ann-4-channel-amplifier.html
Shooting for sound quality out of the boat speakers.
I may add a 8 or 10in sub later on but one thing at a time.

I listen to mostly rock and some outlaw country sometimes. AC/DC TO ZEPPELIN.

If ya'll recommend the 4 channels i can add a designated amp for the sub when cash allows.
What do ya'll think and any suggestions are welcome.

Booger
I have had and used that Zapco amplifier and Its a great front stage amplifier for the mediocre listener, not recommended for bridging ch5&6 for sub duty. but nice for front stage only. I ended up selling mine last yr. I needed more power, and wanted something a bit smaller. For the $, you can get a 4ch dedicated for front stage and a dedicated sub amp to serve its purpose much cheaper and usually more power than buying a 5 or 6 ch amplifier

IMO, always get separate amps for the front stage vs subs. Even if you have the subs already, and you find an amp that miraculously works perfect, what if the amp goes bad, or you want to upgrade the fronts, or get a larger sub. Now that amp doesn't work at all.

Generally I find 5 and 6ch amps to cost just as much as two amps.

A front stage amp is for your mids and highs. You want it as clear as you can get it, with as little distortion/thd as possible. With subs, you're just not going to notice that clarity. You're paying a lot to have a really clear amp for only the ~20-150hz signal. You're NEVER going to hear the difference between .01% and .5% THD when the bass hits.

Even worse, if you buy a 6ch amp now, you are stuck with whatever wattage it has for subs. Wait until you figure out how much room you have physically, and in your electrical. Get subs that fit and it will be incredibly easy to find an amp that will play them.

IMO, buy an alternator that is sized for as big as you might want to go. Just get a 4ch amp for the mids and highs, (and I'm really kind of amazed that those big old boat tower speakers fit unless you pulled em out of that mount). Run the 1/0 to the back and a distribution block to between where the amps will go, and when you add an amp, you only need to run power from the dist block. Saves you time, and money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...