Questions bout my Rainbows

tyte07

I had my Rainbow Profis installed in my old car for a few years (bought them from here!). When I bought a new car last year, I just took out everything and left it because I was too lazy to install them in the new car. Now that I'm feeling it again, I've decided to put my whole system back.

I dented one of the tweeters when I slammed my door into it (twice) awhile back when it was still in the old car. I just left it like that without trying to fix it. The metal grill was pushing down on the silk dome quite a bit. I don't think the sound changed.

ipl77vTrj

Now that I'm planning to put them in the new car, I don't want it to look messy so I decided to try and fix it. I managed to pull the metal grill back out a bit today, but while the silk dome looks alot better than before, it's still not perfect. There are small imperfections. I'd give it 9/10.

pbUBMPhlj

First question: I wanna know if those imperfections to the silk dome will affect the sound and should I just get new tweeters? Like I said, I don't really remember the sound changing before when it was in my old car.

Next question: What's the difference between "lin." and "ref." on the crossover? I think when I first had them a few years ago, I just picked one and went with it without doing any research on the subject.

ey3kqAGsj

Last question: Is that blue circled spot (spider I think?) suppose to be that burnt orange color? I was wondering if it was moisture or something that messed it up like that, since you can see that my screws are rusted. Also, how would I clean the rust off the base where the screws contact? I'll probably be getting new screws.

eyJ9j4zzj

Sorry for so much questions, but I wanted to make sure everything was fine before wasting my time to put it in!

Another question: I just opened up my crossovers for no apparently reason and found out that there is an option of "A" and "B", but the "A" happens to be connected. What are the differences in them?

ipwFNZbrj

your photos are not loading, as far as the lin and ref. i had a set of these in the past and i remember ref. was what i had the wired to for the front and lin. was wired in the rear, can't remember why that was but i do remember being told to wire them that way, something to do with the tweeter, as far as a and b i don't know the answer to that one, you might try to give them a ring and find out if no one is able to help here.

I think A and B are for Biamping the speaker, I could be wrong though, I've never used rainbow. That's like a hunch that I think I remember reading years back when Rainbow speakers were the hardcore raging boner on the speaker forums. **** was a 10 inches long too, all veiny and ****, rainbow speakers were like all anyone recommended.

They were recommended for good reason, Rainbow makes really nice speakers. I've owned both the Germanium & Profi Phase Plug sets.

If the tweeter sounds the same as the other, then you should be good to go.

As for the different connections for the tweeter, the reference setting attenuates the tweeter..."The gradient frequency response was designed in such a way that the middle- to high-tone levels drop continually by octave". They recommend you use this when the tweeters are on axis or near ear level. I believe the jumper may switch the crossover frequency, that's the way it was with the Germaniums.

The A and B option are simply just crossover adjustments. I personally liked the Reference setting as it sounded the most natural in my car. I think A is 2.2khz and B is 2.6khz for the tweets, I could be wrong though. Rainbow realizes that every car has a different environment so they over-engineered the crap out of everything. They even say in the manual I have that you have to experiment for individual preferences. The company is based in Germany so I doubt you can get any help from them unless you speak German lol. I bought Rainbow knowing that there's no one to help fix it if it ever breaks but the quality is there to last so I'm not worried about it.

The dent on the tweeter grill should be okay as it happened to me also when trying to fit it in my A-pillars. Thought I had to buy new tweeters but it did just fine. Plus those tweeters are pretty pricey and hard to find these days.

The A and B option are simply just crossover adjustments. I personally liked the Reference setting as it sounded the most natural in my car. I think A is 2.2khz and B is 2.6khz for the tweets, I could be wrong though. Rainbow realizes that every car has a different environment so they over-engineered the crap out of everything. They even say in the manual I have that you have to experiment for individual preferences. The company is based in Germany so I doubt you can get any help from them unless you speak German lol. I bought Rainbow knowing that there's no one to help fix it if it ever breaks but the quality is there to last so I'm not worried about it.

The dent on the tweeter grill should be okay as it happened to me also when trying to fit it in my A-pillars. Thought I had to buy new tweeters but it did just fine. Plus those tweeters are pretty pricey and hard to find these days.
Are they still in buisness ?

The Germanium crossovers have extensive tuning capabilities. One of the nicest passive crossovers that I've ever used.

Are they still in buisness ?
Yes

Rainbow Audio USA

Yea they actually have a whole new line now.. Even sell just speakers without crossovers for those who want to run active. I wouldn't know where to buy them though as they're based in Germany. I doubt they will help us americans when there's a problem either.

When I bought my Rainbows, they came with a 5 year warranty. I think I may have been one of the first people with Germaniums here in the U.S. If you go to the website you can look for a dealer near your area.

Hmm.. It seems like they changed the website from the last time I've seen it. Could've sworn I seen new germaniums and gave u the choice of going passive or active. Every line looked fresh and different. New germaniums were black instead of silver. Couldn't find any dealers anywhere at the time as it just came out. Idk maybe I'm trippin' but that's my recollection.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.