Purchasing a new 4K Mono Block Amp

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
I understand actual audio. Dyno is real world numbers. You keep bringing impedance rise into the equation and it’s not right. Sundown says at 1 ohm it produces 4K, and at 1 ohm it produces even more.
You will never see those dyno numbers in your vehicle. Let's see the dyno done at 12.6v. I understand that the amp produces rated on a dyno table. The real World isn't a dyno table. If you want to give your two subs 4,000 watts then you better buy an amp bigger than the SALT4 or wire it to .5. To each his own though.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Jan 10, 2012
You are the dumbest person I’ve ever talked to. And I’m saying that lightly. It’s not sundowns responsibility to say, “hey our amp produces over 4k at 1 ohm but if you wire to 1 ohm, impedance rise will likely not let you see 4k.” Ratings are there to tell you what an amp does at a certain load. Not their problem if your box s(u)cks, your electrical s(u)cks, or you s(u)ck.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: audiobaun

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
You are the dumbest person I’ve ever talked to. And I’m saying that lightly. It’s not sundowns responsibility to say, “hey our amp produces over 4k at 1 ohm but if you wire to 1 ohm, impedance rise will likely not let you see 4k.” Ratings are there to tell you what an amp does at a certain load. Not their problem if your box s(u)cks, your electrical s(u)cks, or you s(u)ck.
I don't care if your box is efficient and you have good electrical you will never see 4,000 watts @ 1 ohm. Too many people rely on those dyno numbers like they are real World numbers and they aren't. Thanks for questioning my intelligence.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Jan 10, 2012
What you’re saying is you’ll never see 4k while wired at one ohm. That is completely different than the amp doing 4k at one ohm. Why do you do this?

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
What you’re saying is you’ll never see 4k while wired at one ohm. That is completely different than the amp doing 4k at one ohm. Why do you do this?
I said it from the beginning. I said that if you want 4,000 watts out of that amp then you better wire it to .5 and have good electrical.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Jan 10, 2012
You can say that for every amp since they all face impedance rise.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
FFS, just add him to your ignore list and move on.

Impedance rise is a moot point. Speakers are a dynamic load. Your amp will only see 1 ohm or 4 ohms or 3.748 ohms or 7.21 at a specific frequency, start playing music with multiple frequencies and shit gets funky.

Stop worrying about getting an extra 10 or 20 percent out of your amp. You need to be 3db louder to hear a difference. It takes more than double the amplifier power to increase sound 3db. And it takes half the power to be 3db quieter. Unless you are chasing scores in a competition, you honestly wont hear a difference.

Matt

mrj858

10+ year member
Jun 21, 2011
i miss the days when people didn’t worry about if an amp was doing it’s actual power……they got the 2k amp cause it was louder then the 1k amp and that was all

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
You need to be 3db louder to hear a difference. It takes more than double the amplifier power to increase sound 3db.
1dB is actually the threshold of where most people can notice a differnce. Still though, you're on the right track about how little difference more or less power starts to make after a point.

mat3833

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2008
1dB is actually the threshold of where most people can notice a differnce. Still though, you're on the right track about how little difference more or less power starts to make after a point.
We are alot less sensitive to bass frequencies below 80hz than anything above. 1db differnce would be the minimum discernable difference for a pure sine tone. When you start playing music it gets harder to detect anything under 3db.

But I don't disagree, you still need more than a few hundred wats at the 4k input to hear any real difference.

Matt

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
I want to thank you guys on your feed back in these 2 amps. Still doing more research, anyone have experience running with Soundqubed amps like the Q1-6000
Solid overbuilt korean amps. There's alot of users that have run those type of boards over a decade
I've had alot of the Soundqubed Q series amps including the 7k. They are tanks.
Agreed. With TCs current electrical (250A and an AGM) even something like the Q2200.2 would be a very good match. Good balance of price, power, and reliability.

Reactions: Grimmjoww

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
I want to thank you guys on your feed back in these 2 amps. Still doing more research, anyone have experience running with Soundqubed amps like the Q1-6000
Last SQ Mono amp I ran was the 2250, and it did pretty well on a pair of SQ HDS310s a while back

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post a message

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.