Need new amp installation help- Uvalde

Participant count
  • Participant list

Johnnyxray210

CarAudio.com Newbie
First just wanted to say thanks for all the thoughts, prayers, and donations from across the country and littlerly from around the world. I work at Uvalde Memorial Hospital and the unspeakable and unimaginable have indeed affected this community to its core. If you like to help, donate, pray and you can also give blood. I don't want to hijack this thread because I truly need help with an amp installation. Laws and politics are for another time and place and another forum. One last word, I know there were a lot of things done wrong but my sincere and grateful heart goes out to the off duty border patrol agent who was eating lunch, drove 45 min down to Uvalde, took a bullet grazing off the top of his head to end the ordeal. That is a brave man, he prefers not to be called a hero.

So here is what I have:
2018 Impala with a factory infotainment system and factory amp
New front door: Infinity Reference series, 6x9 100 watts RMS 3 way speakers
New rear door: Infinity Reference series, 6x9 100 watts RMS 2 way speakers
No subwoofer yet, I will add that down the road with a mono amp

My question is do i need to integrate or bypass my factory amp? There is an interface for it, METRA AXGMMT--02 for $400. I am not sure if my amp controls any functions other than the infotainment system/stereo functions. I am hoping it doesn't. I don't use Onstar or use satellite radio.
Do I just need to bypass it with a special wiring harness and if so do I need to install a LOC (line output converter) before the new amp?
Or is there such a thing as a splitter of some sort to add an amplifier either on the input or output side of the existing amp?
Finally, am I running new speaker wires from the new amp to each speaker or is connecting them at the back of the head unit still an option?

Thanks for any advice

Thanks for any advice
Best route is to start with a DSP. It will level and boost the signal with the option of having an amp remote trigger. For this you can tap before or after the OEM amplifier. You can also use the factory wiring to power the speakers. But be forewarned, it is quite an undertaking. You must find a radio wiring diagram and splice every wire, 4 per door speakers and 2 per corner RCA inputs. At least 24 wires total. Maybe like you mentioned, you could find a prefabricated harness. Maestro idatalink makes such harnesses, they may have one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...