Protect mode only when driving

jjkranz1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Milwaukee
First post here hopefully you guys can help. I recently had my skar 1500 watt amp professionaly installed in a 2017 f150 but the amp goes into protection mode intermittently. Its weird because I used a DMM and appear to be at 14 volts when I am idling and I can't get the amp to go into protection mode. But once I get driving and play certain songs the bass hits will dim the headlights and the amp will go in and out of protection mode. I also have had the vehicles stock radio screen actually flicker off too. I'm assuming the stock electrical system just can't keep up? I would think when driving the alternator would produce more current no? I have yet to test the voltage while driving. If this is the case and the voltage is going too low would just a better battery help.or.should I do the big 3?

02WS6

Gif Guy and Bobby's BFF
Jan 12, 2020
Sacramento
We get about one of these threads a day. Your stock alternator and wiring cannot handle the amperage draw.

Here is some napkin math:

1500Watts/14.0V = 107 Amps

Your F150 needs 80-100 amps to run all the onboard electrical/lights/computers/ignition. It probably has a 120-140 Amp alternator (depending on trim level/engine size) so I'm ballparking here.

Your Amp is drawing more current then your current electrical system can support. Fix it in this order:

1: Big 3 - https://www.acdcwireandsupply.com/BIG_3_POWER_WIRE_KIT_p/big3-1-0-kit.htm
2. HO Alternator - (I run a QuickStart Alternator but choose your own based on budget/Amperage, 200 Amp+ is what you want)
3. Additional Battery - This is last item usually in a build for someone who has so much power draw they can't keep up with an HO alternator. Battery acts as a load balancer but can and will burn up a stock alternator.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
I really doubt your dropping voltage low enough to low voltage protect it. Especially if it doesn’t do it at idle. But you saying you had it installed at a shop I would take it back to them. You wouldn’t happen to have the Sony system would you?

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Could be a lot of things like poor wiring thats grounding out somewhere with movements. Go back to the shop, take guy owner out for a drive and show him the issue and have him warranty the work without paying anything.

OP
J

jjkranz1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Milwaukee
Ok but it also does it when I rev the engine. I can't get it to do it at idle or even when the car is turned off????

OP
J

jjkranz1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 13, 2020
Milwaukee
I really doubt your dropping voltage low enough to low voltage protect it. Especially if it doesn’t do it at idle. But you saying you had it installed at a shop I would take it back to them. You wouldn’t happen to have the Sony system would you?
It's definitely low voltage because my head unit screen and the lit up buttons on my door for the power windows literally flicker off too?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds