Protect mode HELP. Tried 3 amps now!! No idea what is wrong

csmr3_8
10+ year member

Ok. Well, i have two 12 in audiobahn awc12t subs. i have had 2 1000 watt amps hooked up to them. Just bought a legacy 4000 watt amp. I think i have the level and lpf setting right according to what everyone else has theirs at. When i go to turn my subs past around 38-40 on my headunit, they cut out. When i go to check the amp it is in protect mode. I must then turn the car on and off, not just the headunit, in order to take it out of protect mode. I have no idea what is wrong and neither do any of my friends who know a decent amount about car electronics. any help would be great i am new to this and could really use some help.

my guess would be ur voltage is dropping too low and ur amp is going into protection to save itself. whats ur electrical like?

what are ur subs wired at? anyone know what that "4000" watt amp is actually putting out?

what do you mean by voltage dropping too low? my friend hooked them up for me, but i know he bridged them . i watched him do it. he took the right speaker wire from both subs and put them in the "right speaker" slot in my amp and did the same for the left sub.

ok. ask him what impedence he wired the subs too..or take them out and get some pics for us. your car runs on a 12v system. the amp requires power to make power. at a certain point the voltage will start to drop. the amp will cut out and go into protect. keep going and it'll blow. you need to upgrade your electrical to run serious power, even though that amp is probably putting out like 1100 watts.

just checked and ur subs are dual 4 i believe. that would make the final load 1 or 4 ohm. id hope he didnt bridge ur amp at .5 per side. i assume he did 2 ohm per side. Is your amp a 2 channel or mono amp?

Ok. Well, i have two 12 in audiobahn awc12t subs. i have had 2 1000 watt amps hooked up to them. Just bought a legacy 4000 watt amp. I think i have the level and lpf setting right according to what everyone else has theirs at. When i go to turn my subs past around 38-40 on my headunit, they cut out. When i go to check the amp it is in protect mode. I must then turn the car on and off, not just the headunit, in order to take it out of protect mode. I have no idea what is wrong and neither do any of my friends who know a decent amount about car electronics. any help would be great i am new to this and could really use some help.
I'm sorry to say this but If its the 4000watt legacy amp that I'm thinking (cost like 150) then its for sure your amp. Even though the amp says 4000watts In actuality its only like 400 maybe 500 watts RMS. Check the owners manual and it should say

is it a 2 channel or mono amp? i think it would be wired at 4 ohm. and ya sorry to say but ur probably looking at like 800rms from that amp

yes but this is the third amp i have tried.. same thing happens on all of them. tried a 1000 watt xplod and 1000 watt visonik dont have enough cash for a real good one.

yes but this is the third amp i have tried.. same thing happens on all of them. tried a 1000 watt xplod and 1000 watt visonik dont have enough cash for a real good one.
All of those amps are trash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.