Sub amp cutting off randomly - not in protect mode

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cbjax

CarAudio.com Newbie
Infinity Kappa one K, running 2 10’s off a Helix V8. I’ve been running the same setup for about 6 mos, no issues. Over the past two weeks, on 4 separate occasions, the subs have just stopped working, once after running for about 45 min, once after 10 min, the other times, after less than 30 min, all at low volume. Every time, they started working again, after random intervals, from about 2 minutes to 15 minutes. Definitely not overheating, as the amp is under my rear seat (ram 1500), and the seats are out of the truck right now, so I checked it, and it wasn’t hot at all. the protection light has never come on, and I haven’t changed the gains. I thought it may be the remote on/off wire, so replaced that, but did it again after that. I haven’t taken the box apart to check the sub wiring, but if it’s that, I can’t imagine it would still play normally for such long periods, without distortion? idk- will check that next, I guess.

I just checked the Power and ground connections, are all tight and clean. a single 4gauge cable runs from the batt into a distribution block, then two 4 gauge cables split out from there to power the amps.

any other ideas?

I would check the sub connections for sure. Alot of times the wiring from the Subs to the Poss and Negative connection on the inside of the enclosure are not a tight connection if using a spade connector and they slide back and forth from vibration not making a solid connection. Simply take a pair of pliers or the like and mash those to make a solid connection or you can solder the wires to the Poss and Negative post. Make sure your Fuse at the battery is connected tight as well. Go over all connections. Make sure you have cleaned off paint ect down to metal for the ground location also. Just a few things to check

I mean.. No one wants to pull subs back out of an enclosure?? But .. It is sometimes necessary to check all connections and wiring inside to make sure all is secured. Vibrations can create issues with connections and wiring inside the enclosure at times. At least you can rule that out as the culprit and have double checked everything is secure inside, and move on to the next.

When the amp shut off, was there any indicator light illuminated?
What amp are you suing for the subs???
All found was this for the Helix V8
No indicator lights. the Power light was on, so the sub amp didn’t ever lose power, just stopped playing - the main amp (Helix) wasnt impacted.

yeah, i can pull the sub box, to be sure. its always possible the connection to the terminals came loose, just seemEd unlikely- when I’ve had that happen before, it impacted the sound, didn’t cause it to shut off entirely, then come back on. but I’m out of ideas, so I’ll check!
subs are HO SVC 4 OHm

and yes, that’s the dsp for everything /amp for everything but the subs -Helix V8 MK2. For the subs, amp is Infinity Kappa One K,

been running this exact same setup for about 6 months, with no issues. Just started a couple weeks ago.

No indicator lights. the Power light was on, so the sub amp didn’t ever lose power, just stopped playing - the main amp (Helix) wasnt impacted.

yeah, i can pull the sub box, to be sure. its always possible the connection to the terminals came loose, just seemEd unlikely- when I’ve had that happen before, it impacted the sound, didn’t cause it to shut off entirely, then come back on. but I’m out of ideas, so I’ll check!
subs are HO SVC 4 OHm

and yes, that’s the dsp for everything /amp for everything but the subs -Helix V8 MK2. For the subs, amp is Infinity Kappa One K,

been running this exact same setup for about 6 months, with no issues. Just started a couple weeks ago.
Does sound like a loose wire some where or connection though. Itll take a little time to trace it down. Some times a loose or painted Ground connection if not making a good contact will spark trying to ground to where the amplifier will come on and off trying to make contact and will not go into protect. Ive even found poor crimped and Heat shrinked connections come to me that looked like a solid wiring job done, to find that not enough wiring made it to be crimped properly as well, Strands were crimped in the casings. Loose Remote wire connection at the HU even. Remote wire at the amp not exposed enough to make contact/solid connection.
Great subs!! I have two sets of the DVC4 ohm HO tens. Really nice subs

Does sound like a loose wire some where or connection though. Itll take a little time to trace it down. Some times a loose or painted Ground connection if not making a good contact will spark trying to ground to where the amplifier will come on and off trying to make contact and will not go into protect. Ive even found poor crimped and Heat shrinked connections come to me that looked like a solid wiring job done, to find that not enough wiring made it to be crimped properly as well, Strands were crimped in the casings. Loose Remote wire connection at the HU even. Remote wire at the amp not exposed enough to make contact/solid connection.
Thanks again! Will check everything again when I get time. most likely not the main ground, as each amps ground Runs into a distro box, then a single ground comes out of that- so, it would be cutting out both of them. I checked it, and it’s still as tight as it was when I put it in, screwed directly to the frame, metal on metal. But,I will double check the ground from the sub amp to the distro box again, take it apart and re-secure it.

i like the Daytons, too. I expected to get more output from them in a ported box, but for my set up is for SQ, , and they sound great.

Welp…. Checked all power and ground connections. Everything is solid there. Replaced the remote on wire. Pulled the sub box, opened it up, and made sure all the connections were tight, no issues. Yet, the same problem continues. And no consistency to when it’s happening. Happened yesterday when I first started the truck, today, after driving for 30-40 minutes.

What I have noticed, the last 3-4 times it’s happened, is that I have gotten the subs to kick back on, by turning the volume up. Almost like the remote on wire isn’t working, and the sub amp is being turned on by a signal from the HU, triggered by an increase in volume. Which makes no sense, since in all instances but one, it had already been working for some time, then shut off mid-song.

So, now, I think maybe an issue with the amp. But, I don’t have a backup to test, so will have to buy a replacement to find out for sure, since its not a quick control test to find out what’s working or not. Ugh.

***EDIT*** not 45 minutes after I posted this… ran to the grocery store, and sure enough, went out again As I pulled into the lot. Got out to check and see if I could find anything while it was happening, started moving things around, and I think I found the culprit! Appears to be the Y-splitter for the RCA connecting the helix dsp/amp to the Infinity sub amp. I wiggled/moved that around, and that actually caused the subs to cut on and off. So… took the splitter off entirely, and just running a mono cord for now. Will see what happens.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...