HELP My Amplifer Went into protect mode and I can no longer hear my sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

HughBushor

CarAudio.com Newbie
I will be the first to admit I am not familiar with any of this but I had bought a 1200 watt 12” bundle from skar over a year ago and had the intentions of putting it in with a buddy long story short a year later I decided to get it done by a professional because we made no progress, $400 later I had it all installed with a fancy new head unit I got in and the guy at the place I had it installed (Sound World, Wausau WI) told me I needed no break in process and to “let it rip” so I did, at no point did I think I was pushing it too hard and it sounded great no distortion and beautiful bass I drove it for 2 hours parked it at home and then proceeded to show my dad for 40 minutes parked outside, I shut off my car after and went inside. The next day I went for a drive and about 15-20 minutes into the drive I noticed on a song that my bass out the subwoofer was not working so I pulled off of the highway and checked and my amplifer was in protect mode but all my door speakers work fine, I’m scheduled to get it checked out by Sound World in two days any advice to put my mind to rest on what might be wrong? If I have to buy a new sub because I blew it oh well I just want to know if I should continue to go to them and what I did wrong?

I will be the first to admit I am not familiar with any of this but I had bought a 1200 watt 12” bundle from skar over a year ago and had the intentions of putting it in with a buddy long story short a year later I decided to get it done by a professional because we made no progress, $400 later I had it all installed with a fancy new head unit I got in and the guy at the place I had it installed (Sound World, Wausau WI) told me I needed no break in process and to “let it rip” so I did, at no point did I think I was pushing it too hard and it sounded great no distortion and beautiful bass I drove it for 2 hours parked it at home and then proceeded to show my dad for 40 minutes parked outside, I shut off my car after and went inside. The next day I went for a drive and about 15-20 minutes into the drive I noticed on a song that my bass out the subwoofer was not working so I pulled off of the highway and checked and my amplifer was in protect mode but all my door speakers work fine, I’m scheduled to get it checked out by Sound World in two days any advice to put my mind to rest on what might be wrong? If I have to buy a new sub because I blew it oh well I just want to know if I should continue to go to them and what I did wrong?
Sounds like the sub may be the issue. Maybe a burnt Coil? Easy enough to remove the wires on the amplifier and check to see what your final Ohm Load is. If your sub is wired correctly for a DVC4 ohm.. You should be reading between 1.8-2.0 on a Digital Multimeter.. If you have a DVC 2 ohm sub you should be reading approx. from 1.4-1.0. If the reading are jumping all over the place.. and do not settle or do not rest .. The sub is Cooked more than likely/ Bad coil.
What is the model of the Amp? and Sub? or Combo Package? Link?

Did you ever smell anything?

Welcome to the Site By the Way!! Lots of Information to browse through and people to help and learn from as well.

If I have to buy a new sub because I blew it oh well I just want to know if I should continue to go to them and what I did wrong?
Your amp may have failed. A competent shop should be able to diagnose the issue in under 5 minutes either way.

You didn't necessarily do anything wrong. Provided you didn't do something stupid like reverse power and ground hooking it up or short the speaker out leads an amplifier should not just break like that. I'd suggest it's probably your amp was a dud right from the factory and it's unfortunate you aren't under warranty and didn't buy a more reputable brand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...