pros/cons, tips, and advice for sticks please:)

... well it really depends on how much throttle you give it... But like i said, the lower you can shift, the better. Of course, if it stops accelerating at 2k rpms, youre not giving much thottle at all, therefore youre not using much gas... but by the same token, truck drivers flip you off for accelerating like a snail.

That may be true to an extent, but shifting at a higher rpm REGARDLESS in a higher output, big displacement motor, will use more fuel than other methods.

Okay, but really dude, just learn to drive it and youll learn how to waste gas and how to save it. Its really too difficult to explain

didn't read any of this thread but here is my one and only tip for driving stick. When you brake dont just take it out of gear and press the brakes. down shift and feather the brake. it makes your brakes last a hell of a lot longer.

Displacement is fixed, so the only two controls here are engine speed and air:fuel ratio
boost?

my jetta had a vaccum controlled variable geometry turbo (vnt17) which could do anywhere from 0-30psi anywhere from 1200rpms to redline, and could be shifted through the gears, or even directly to 5th gear at idle, from a stop.

def. a neat little car.

boost?
my jetta had a vaccum controlled variable geometry turbo (vnt17) which could do anywhere from 0-30psi anywhere from 1200rpms to redline, and could be shifted through the gears, or even directly to 5th gear at idle, from a stop.

def. a neat little car.
was it made by garrett?

cool, i work for honeywell (owner's of garrett), but NOT in the turbo area //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

is garrett the only makers of the variable turbo? seems like a great idea for everyday use!

well, garrett created the first one, but the only gasoline engine they ever put one on was the shelby daytona back in the 80's, which had the vnt20 on it.

Garrett took too long to come out with one that was beefy enough to deal with gasoline engine exhaust temperatures, and someone else beat them to it, unfortunately.

So garrett owns most of the diesel engine market, but the ones that are being used on gasoline engines now are actually made by someone else....

Agreed. i wore out the TO and/or my pressure plate in my acura legend about 2 years ago. Thats not fun at all.. i learned not to keep it in gear at a light with the clutch engaged. I always did that cuz it would cut down in the time i had to take to push the clutch in, put it in gear and then take off...
your not supposed to just hold the clutch and brake in at a light? i did not know that.

Sticks FTW.

Heavy Traffic FTL. Do like I did, and get a job that doesn't require driving on a freeway to work! 8 minutes to drive to work FTW!!

As for the car-control aspects... you can even learn tricks like when and how to let out the clutch in a turn, to make the car "turn in" differently. On a RWD car, it'll usually cause oversteer (back end steps out), while in a FWD car, it'll usually cause understeer. Can be useful, along with skilled use of the brakes, to avoid spins and/or running into curbs and the like, in emergency situations. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Some people complain that they can't control their stick-shift cars, accelerating from a stop up a very steep hill. Most of them haven't realized that the hand-brake (e-brake) is quite useful to keep your car from rolling backwards, while letting off of the footbrake and stepping on the gas! While holding the release button in, just pull it up (engaged) until you get the revs up and let out the clutch, then release the handbrake. Takes some practice to do it smoothly, but you shouldn't roll back AT ALL, if you do it right... no matter HOW steep the hill.

Regards,

Gordon.

who has owned 9 stick-shift cars... but only owned one automatic tranny car, and sold it after 3 months...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.