pros/cons, tips, and advice for sticks please:)

I'm not too sure of the reasons why, but I can tell you that if you learn to do it now and you have a graduated licensing program, you'll fail your test for sure ... One of my ex-GFs failed her Novice test the first time because she did that ...
Besides that, cruising down a hill in Neutral and 100% relying on your brakes is retarded ... If you allow the resistance of your engine to slow you down, you'll save your brakes heavily, which is one of the main advantages to having a manual transmission ... The other advantages, of course, being that it's more efficient, so you get better fuel efficiency and power, having better control over the car, they're usually much more reliable than automatics, and they weigh less.
OIC... I let it in neutral occcasionally while rolling slowly into my turn off, then shift into the gear I need when I need it. To save the clutch or something.

And... S10's cant be that bad.

OIC... I let it in neutral occcasionally while rolling slowly into my turn off, then shift into the gear I need when I need it. To save the clutch or something.
And... S10's cant be that bad.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif i do the same thing on occasion had no clue it was illegal

Correction... Cruising in Neutral is only illegal when applied to automatics. Its perfectly fine for a stick. The reason is that an automatic has control of its dynamics when it is in drive. When it is in neutral, is has no control...ie. it releases engine braking and differential locking as well as some vehicle speed sensors which disables airbags.

I dont know if this is true, but someone once told me that when your in a slide that it is better to have stick because you just put it in Nuetrel and it will stop the axel from spinning. When you do it in the auto the axel's still spin. Just something I remembered.

I perfer stick as well and have only owend a couple automobiles in automatic and have had close to 20 vechichles, lol! You get more control and just is more fun. Yes sometimes it is a pain in traffic, but to be honest I dont even notice most of the time. It is just like blinking to me anymore. You do it, but dont relize it.

I agree with JMAC though. Get a friend who is willing to be nice enough to let you learn to drive stick. Just dont burn up his clutch though, lol! Practice makes perfect and take your time and just pay attention. Eventually it will come to you and you wont even notice its stick. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Yea, theres a lot I dont understand right now(ie. heel and toe, downshifting, hills, etc.) I think with time it should become clear. I have no one to teach me or any car to practice on, so i hope i dont ruin the clutch if i end up getting one.
up hills isnt all that hard, its like driving normal. Its not that hard to drive, just gets old.

I dont know if this is true, but someone once told me that when your in a slide that it is better to have stick because you just put it in Nuetrel and it will stop the axel from spinning. When you do it in the auto the axel's still spin. Just something I remembered.
I have never seen a real drifting car that was an automatic.

And it will come naturally, either your gonna like a manual or not, never know till you drive one everyday.

TRAFFIC SUX WITH A STICK

Stick > Auto in every way except traffic, big hills (uphill that is), and multitasking.

Ive never owned an auto. I love driving myc ars, as theyre light imports with pep enough to satisfy the inner andretti.... As far as tips... well... dont get too excited about better mileage from a stick... in order to do that you have to drive like a ninny and shift at like 1600rpm in order not to burn gas... and driving a stick just makes u wanna redline it on every shift jsut to hear your motor roar. My friends think im insane when i drive though, cuz i can multitask better than any of em. For instance, one time my friend david was riding with me in traffic, and i was smoking a cigarette, holding my drink, and driving a stick through traffic... it gets a bit crazy, but its not hard, so long as you keep your focus on the road and not your other tasks.

Why?
And omg i didn't know that.
you're legally not in control of the vehicle any time it's in neutral.

it's for accident avoidance. if you were coasting in neutral, and a situation presented itself where you needed to move out of the way of a collision, and you couldn't do it, because your car wasn't in gear, it's legally YOUR fault.

and that's correct that placing it in neutral IS the correct way to coast (although illegal) because keeping the clutch disengaged wears out the throw out bearings and pressure plate.

Agreed. i wore out the TO and/or my pressure plate in my acura legend about 2 years ago. Thats not fun at all.. i learned not to keep it in gear at a light with the clutch engaged. I always did that cuz it would cut down in the time i had to take to push the clutch in, put it in gear and then take off...

You'll learn to drive with a knee to free up a hand. I drove a stick for 1.5 years, then went to an auto, and regretted it from about the 3rd week. I just recently went back to a stick about a year ago. Also, a car is a helluva lot different that a truck. You can lean harder in an auto which is nice, but the feel of shifting your gears, and going around curves, and not using your brake, but using your motor is a great sensation.

Couple things to look at are. For one, in an auto, your tranny will eventually go out. With a stick, the most you'll ever have to do is a clutch. For two, you will save on your brakes aswell. Once you get the hang of it, you will stop by gearing down as opposed to using your brakes. You will have to use your brakes too, but not near as much. I'd say 70% Motor, 30% brakes is how i use mine. Also the little increase in mpg's these days are worth it. Go will the stick man. You'll love it.

yeah, i like driving a stick, but it ***** in traffic!!!!!

sorry to thread jack, but i was wondering if anyone could give me insight on when i should be shifting for normal driving?

i have a 99 honda accord I4 2.3L with a manual transmission. is 2-3K good?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.