Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

My door project. Thanks to the good folks on this forum for the advice along the way.

Stripped the doors and put two layers all throughout the outside panel and 2, 8X8 squares behind where the speaker will mount and glued some ensolite 8X8 squares behind the speaker as well. Now I am "plugging" the inner door panel holes using perforated aluminum 20 guage. Inner panel has 1 sheet of raamat. I am putting raamat on the inside and outside of each fill panel too.

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

remember that the sound is in waves

use the blocks to deflect the waves to where you want them

the coarse surface will absorb some, so the sound will be heard more in that area,

if you coat the surface it will reflect more, and less will be heard and directed where you want it.

You are right that sex and love are not out of world experience.

But I would like to correct you that both these are far far wonderful, then shown in movies or music videos.

Midnight Hour

I have read about 25 pages here....what seems to be the best product used for the best price for the front doors? Raamat seems to be really hard to order from the site and very expensive! Anyone comment on this stuff?

50 sqft R-BLOX Sound Deadener +Dynamat Sample : eBay Motors (item 270527597662 end time Feb-14-10 01:27:39 PST)

and is $75 a good price for it for 50'?

If I use some caulk under the speaker rings, so I need to use clay? I have been reading that it just peels off with heat and my summers are 110 here.

I am thinking of just getting this stuff, some MDF and caulk and a very small peice of egg crate for behind the speaker itself. Do I need to do that even if there is deadener behind the speaker?

I have read all of these pages myself. What I am confuse about is; In my car the speaker is mounnted in the door panel itself. There is good room in there. I have an sls in there now. I wanted to do a better job of mounting this speaker. Along with adding some cld tiles to the outer shin with some mass loaded vinyl. Should I cut thru and mount to door or leave as is. Here are some pics of the situration.
PICT4694.jpg

PICT4695.jpg

PICT4696.jpg

Has anybody tried hercaliner (truck bed liner) for deadning/soundproofing? Somebody suggested it to me and after knocking around a utility/rescue vehicle entirely covered with it I have to say it seemed to work. A gallon is around $100. Thoughts?

holy good read batman!

where can i get the non hardening clay from? a craft store?

like others my speakers were getting wet and one of my hex series midbass speakers took a dump on me, i'm replacing them(hopefully with another set) but i'm going to be redoing my door adapters and the clay seems like a really good idea. over the eyers the wood that i used (1/2 inch plywood) as broken apart and rattles.

Great thread, I read it all and learned a lot. Also read through Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information.

I do have questions about foam. Does it have to be CCF in the door panel? I found sheets of foam at Jo Ann Fabrics in various density and thickness. It's the same type foam as the egg carton stuff used behind the speakers but smooth, is this good for anything else? The only CCF I can find is at the sporting goods store. It is a mat for under sleeping bags and looks like small egg carton sheets. Living in SoCal I don't worry about rain much but this seems like a better choice for inside the door skin behind the speaker. Will this work ok? If it has to be CCF in the doors where can you find it locally? Thanks for any help.

***Edit*** I also came across floor pads made out of EVA foam. You can get a fairly large mat from a sporting goods store for $30. Would that foam be useful for anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread, I read it all and learned a lot. Also read through Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information. I do have questions about foam. Does it have to be CCF in the door panel? I found sheets of foam at Jo Ann Fabrics in various density and thickness. It's the same type foam as the egg carton stuff used behind the speakers but smooth, is this good for anything else? The only CCF I can find is at the sporting goods store. It is a mat for under sleeping bags and looks like small egg carton sheets. Living in SoCal I don't worry about rain much but this seems like a better choice for inside the door skin behind the speaker. Will this work ok? If it has to be CCF in the doors where can you find it locally? Thanks for any help.

***Edit*** I also came across floor pads made out of EVA foam. You can get a fairly large mat from a sporting goods store for $30. Would that foam be useful for anything?
most closed cell foams have the properties of being resistant or impervious to things like moisture, mildew, UV sunlight, contact with chemicals, all of which are usually applicable to what a vehicle is exposed to. some CCFs are probably also more resistant to tearing, and that SDS site also talks about compression set but the open cell foam you find at JoAnns might be fine for that too, i'm not sure.

I'm awaiting some foam in the mail if you want to follow:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/speakers/488604-secondskin-overkill-alternative-what-do-you-guys-think.html

This thread has a lot of useful information, but it also has a fair share of misguided information. Perhaps should be de-stickied in place of an updated one? With a tutorial from someone who has been formally educated in some way relating to this topic, and with adequate experience using these products (and/or products from other domains of DIY that can be transferable for possible better solutions)? and the title is very cheesy hah

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.