Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

Of all the things to install in car audio... sound deadener is the most time consuming thing. The whole time I was installing sheet upon sheet of fatmat to my accord. I just couldn't help but laugh while thinking about how much time I spent scrapping the asphalt deadener from my full-race civic!

whats your thoughts on applying an additional pad and/or liner over a few layers of deadener? is it very beneficial and worth the hassle? my last question is should i spray rubberized under coating in the wheel wells?

whats your thoughts on applying an additional pad and/or liner over a few layers of deadener?
Depends on the acoustic characteristics of the material(s) used and how they are applied.

What works *best* in the automobile depends on the area you're treating and the noise frequency band you're trying to affect.

Start at the beginning of the process with a specific goal and select the most appropriate materials for accomplishing it within your budget.

my last question is should i spray rubberized under coating in the wheel wells?
No. Why would you if they've already been sprayed?

I wasnt sure where to post but ive read a few places on here that when you deaden your doors to throw away the foam/plastic liner that is inside of the doors. I work at a body shop and a few of the new cars that i have worked on have air bag sensors inside of the doors that rely on pressures inside the door to determine airbag deployment and if that is no longer there there is no pressure inside the door on impact and it can cause the airbag to deploy later. If they are sealed up really good from the factory its a good idea to get them sealed up really well again. Most people seem to get the door sealed up really well anyway but its just something else to think of other than speaker performance.

Page 1 said, "Make sure to do both the inner panel and the outer panel."

Could this be explained to a dummy such as myself? Does this mean the actual steel door, and also the trim panel that attaches to the door?

Page 1 said, "Make sure to do both the inner panel and the outer panel."
Could this be explained to a dummy such as myself? Does this mean the actual steel door, and also the trim panel that attaches to the door?
When you pop off your inner door panel the most immediate piece of metal that you see (where the speaker will mount too) will be your inner door panel. This inner panel should have lots of holes in it and molded shapes and such, these holes are for access to the window mechanisms and door locks and such, the piece of metal that you see THROUGH those holes in the first piece of metal is your Outer door panel. The outer panel is the same as the outside of the door on your car. So reach through all those holes with the window up and cover as much area as you can with the amount of deadener that works for you. Then when that outer panel is all deadened you can move on to sealing the big holes and deadening the inner panel.

Depends on the acoustic characteristics of the material(s) used and how they are applied.
What works *best* in the automobile depends on the area you're treating and the noise frequency band you're trying to affect.

Start at the beginning of the process with a specific goal and select the most appropriate materials for accomplishing it within your budget.

No. Why would you if they've already been sprayed?
All that i have left to do is the floor pan and i'll be using dynamat xtreme. the product i waas looking into were the dynaliner and pad.

thanks for your input and hoping for more.

aloha's

I read all 22 pages, but I'm a newb and sometimes obvious things don't make sense or can't understand.

I have Scion Xb, and wanna follow this guide and deaden the whole car:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149357&highlight=deadening

1.Is RAAMmat BXT™ still good product to use ? or is there better and more value friendly product.

2.Also can I use it for the whole car, doors, floor, trunk, (should I do the roof ?)

3.Ensolite™ MLC is it necessary ? is it the egg carton thingie discussed here ? does it withstand water and mold ? and where do u apply it ?

4.The plastic panels of doors and hatch area need to b deaden too ? Do I use RAAMmat on them aswell ?

5.2 layers would b enough ? on the whole car ?

6.RAAMmat is 62.5 Square Feet per Roll, 3-4 rolls would b enough ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.