Proper amp settings??

Participant count
  • Participant list

SuperDuty350

Senior VIP Member
I did some reading on amp settings, specifically the "new to car audio, read this" thread, and I'm still not certain of how to set my amp gains/ crossover stuff.

My amp is kicker cxa600.1. It's supposed to do 600w rms at 2ohm. I have my sub setup at 4ohm. So my amp should do 300rms?? So output voltage needs to be at square root (300x4)? The other thing I don't understand is how to set my stock head unit @50hz.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Doubt your stock head unit has a built in crossover. Set your crossover on your amp instead. Set your gains to the point where it is just below clipping. (Will need an Oscope or SMD-1 to set it properly and you probably don't have either so set it about halfway)

Doubt your stock head unit has a built in crossover. Set your crossover on your amp instead. Set your gains to the point where it is just below clipping. (Will need an Oscope or SMD-1 to set it properly and you probably don't have either so set it about halfway)
Thank you very much!

I will set it tomorrow. I do have a couple questions, how should I set my amp crossover? I honestly don't know what I'm looking or listening for.

My amp also has an input level button for high or low I don't know what that does. I have some kicker speaker to rca cables tying in the amp to the rear speakers for signal so I could do away with the LOC I had installed previously. I did so to eliminate some of the extra wires and also because the amp owners manual suggested it.

for sub set xover to low pass or lp at about 100hz (sub will only play up to 100hz) if it has a ss filter turn it on (can never hurt) it protects sub for extreme lows and make amp work a little less (mainly needed on ported boxes) if u know how to properly set gains do that (with meter) if not just set it at say 60% if u have a factory hu that'll be really close to right (it's what I do) I have rcas on a loc but my amp doesn't have a button for high or low but try low level since u using rcas..

If you are using RCA outs from your HU to send the signal to the amp, then select low level. If however you are using the speaker outputs to run the signal to the amp then select high level on the amp.

Set the amp crossover as Low pass and set the frequency to anywhere between 50 to 120htz depending on subs/speakers you are running. If your regular speakers are 6.5", then go with around 80 htz but if your regular speakers are something like 4", set it to around 120htz.

for sub set xover to low pass or lp at about 100hz (sub will only play up to 100hz) if it has a ss filter turn it on (can never hurt) it protects sub for extreme lows and make amp work a little less (mainly needed on ported boxes) if u know how to properly set gains do that (with meter) if not just set it at say 60% if u have a factory hu that'll be really close to right (it's what I do) I have rcas on a loc but my amp doesn't have a button for high or low but try low level since u using rcas..
Some subs can play well into upper midbass. They sound amazing when placed in the kick panel with a 3in wideband on each A pillar

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.