-Project Avalanche V2-: Some experimenting

Supergumby5000
5,000+ posts

Project: F350 begins...
Pullman, WA
Before i do another big build, i wanted to do a bit of experimenting with the substage, just to see how the response from the "clamshell" style box compares to a standard, flat-faced ported box.

For the time being, i am undecided on which subs i am going to run for the next build, so i am going to be doing some testing with the Type-R's until then.

Box is 7 cu ft @ 32hz, with 120sq in of port area.

The rest of the setup in the truck remains the same, except for the amps, which will now be a Sundown 3500D and a Sundown 100.4, which should be in sometime this week.

Yes, the type-R's are going to be subject to some abuse.

Here is the box design:

7cuft32hz.jpg

Instead of taking a large box/large port approach with this setup, i am going to go with a smaller box/smaller port and see how much power i can feed the R's. Hopefully i'll be able to find a meter to run on.

The clamshell box was tuned to 33hz, and i peaked at 29hz, so im curious to see how the outcome will be compared to a flat-faced box tuned to 32hz.

more pics up later, i just started building the box.

HMMM.... i LIKE THE DESIGN but if I had 4 15's I'd try and use all of em.... but thats me. i'd do a square box almost with subs firing up and have the port fire into the cab. but that may not be what your going for. or even have 2 firing forward and have to firing up... just other ideas.

HMMM.... i LIKE THE DESIGN but if I had 4 15's I'd try and use all of em.... but thats me. i'd do a square box almost with subs firing up and have the port fire into the cab. but that may not be what your going for. or even have 2 firing forward and have to firing up... just other ideas.
I've done about 40 designs for the bed of this truck. The best options are a clamshell design like i had before, or a flat-faced box. All of he other designs run into conflict with the port/sub coming into contact with each other. If i reverse mount, i cant use my rear seats. If i push the box deeper into the bed to reverse mount, i run into space issues. The list goes on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

This thread will be ongoing for a few i bet. I want to give this a try, and i also want to try 3 15's (flat-faced, depending on the response of this box) before i decide my final setup.

here is a couple pics.

The new toy, which has made my life much easier already:

P8300173.jpg

I've decided to this one screwless for shits n gig's.

P8300171.jpg

P8300172.jpg

Neato, the snow won't be here to bother you for a while, unlike the last build. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Neato, the snow won't be here to bother you for a while, unlike the last build. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
yeah thats the issue though. I either have to start my bigger build in the snow, with a smaller garage, or wait til spring/summer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Looking at the original design, that box was acting more like a series tuned 6th order than a ported box.

What where the original measurements for that 4-15 box?

If you don't mind, I would like to plot it as a 6th order and compare your in-car measurements to that.

Looking at the original design, that box was acting more like a series tuned 6th order than a ported box.
What where the original measurements for that 4-15 box?

If you don't mind, I would like to plot it as a 6th order and compare your in-car measurements to that.
The design is on my other computer, i'll PM you later today.

Id love to get one to peak where you had yours peaking. My van peaked in the low 30s and it was great.

Interested to see how this plays out. I designed a 3 15 ported box with the measurements you gave me for the hell of it. Its all a flat box with everything facing foward. On my other computer, Ill post a pic of it later if you are interested in seeing it.

Id love to get one to peak where you had yours peaking. My van peaked in the low 30s and it was great.
Interested to see how this plays out. I designed a 3 15 ported box with the measurements you gave me for the hell of it. Its all a flat box with everything facing foward. On my other computer, Ill post a pic of it later if you are interested in seeing it.
Do it!

well, if you wanna peak at 29hz, and get an avalanche, just PM me, i'll give you my design //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.