Problems with Type-X Components + Head Unit

zeeg
10+ year member

NE
We recently installed the Alpine SPX-17PRO's and an IDA-X001 head unit. There's a PDX 4.100 amp powering the components (its running 2 channel).

The problem I'm having is the volume doesn't seem like what it should be. We tried tweaking gain and crossover settings but for the price of the speakers its crap. I'm not sure if it's the deck, the wiring, or something else causing it.

The setup is as follows:

- 8ga power cable to the amp.

- Factory speaker wire spliced to run to the amp.

- Gain is set to nom (half-way).

- Crossover is set to 100hz~.

- The tweeters are within a few inches of the mid's.

Any suggestions for what I can look at to try and improve the volume level on the deck (so that half-way is actually somewhat loud)? We also can't seem to get real quality from the speakers either, so maybe it's the head unit? Maybe the stock wiring?

To give you an idea of the problem, my friends Pioneer Rev coaxial's with no amp sound louder and better quality.

How big of an issue do you think the wiring is? It's a huge pain in the ass to try and run it through the gutters on the door.

I'm guessing the amp is bridged on the components?

Change the speaker wire for one, don't reuse the factory wire. It might be a pain in the ass (I own a VW, trust me I know) but it's worth it.

You say the x-over is set to 100hz, I'm guessing thats the HP frequency on the mids? Try lowering it to 63hz with an 18db filter or 80hz with a 12db filter.

It could be a very big issue. You're trying to pump 200+ w rms through probably 18-24AWG wires.

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

now in all fairness, a music signal will be roughly 50-60% at most of the max rms output of the amplifier. You should be running 16, 14, or 12 AWG.

Ya I believe the factory wire is 18ga. We were running 14ga from it.

The filter is set to high pass and I dropped the frequency on the crossover down to what you recommend. It sounds better. To adjust the db the only way that I know of is to adjust the chip in the xovers (it can be 0, -1.5, -3, and -4.5), they're at 0 right now (but we were talking about dropping them to -1.5). I'm pretty new to most of this so if there's anything I'm missing let me know.

I'll look into what it's going to take to swap out the wiring where we don't have to drill or tear the car apart //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A quick question. On the wiring calculator, the Total Amplifier Power, that's per line right? So if I wanted 100w RMS and thats 134 14ga would be fine?

It sounds like an input sensitivity issue to me.

Do you guys really think that a change in speaker wire size is going to have a dramatic impact in terms of overall volume?

You need to sell those type X pros to me cheap! Kidding.

It really sounds like the deck or the wiring or the gain though.

PM me if you ever want to get rid of them.

I'm concerned that the deck is going to be a killer since it's only got 2v pre-out, no xover settings, no eq settings... I'm really disappointed in Alpine, they used to be really nice.

Ya I believe the factory wire is 18ga. We were running 14ga from it.
The filter is set to high pass and I dropped the frequency on the crossover down to what you recommend. It sounds better. To adjust the db the only way that I know of is to adjust the chip in the xovers (it can be 0, -1.5, -3, and -4.5), they're at 0 right now (but we were talking about dropping them to -1.5). I'm pretty new to most of this so if there's anything I'm missing let me know.

I'll look into what it's going to take to swap out the wiring where we don't have to drill or tear the car apart //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A quick question. On the wiring calculator, the Total Amplifier Power, that's per line right? So if I wanted 100w RMS and thats 134 14ga would be fine?
I wonder if the factory wire is even that. Hell, I think the factory wire in my vehicle was 8883 guage. It looked more like dental floss.

If I can figure out the boot on the door we'll probably just end up running 12ga in case I ever decide to get more powerful speakers. Don't suppose anyones managed to get it off on the 05-08 series Mustangs? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm also noticing another issue where the passenger side speaker has some seriously ****ed up bass. It's a lot louder, and not quality either, its just noise. So far I'm not too impressed with things... Im hoping the woofer isn't bad on that side.

I don't know what your problem is,but I don't for 1 minute believe it's a speaker wire problem like these guys are telling you
I don't either, as I mentioned above.

I firmly believe the gains are too low, personally.

And as far as one speaker sounding a lot different than the other... try reversing the polarity on that speaker to correct the problem. It may have been wired in reverse accidentally, or it may need to be wired reversed intentionally to get cohesive sound... either way, I'd reverse it from where it is now and see if that makes things better or worse.

first, you will need to deaden the doors to get decent midbass out of door mounted speaker. Second, run two sets wires to each and run the setup active (use the amp as a 4 ch), you will have a LOT more control that way Next, try playing the mids by themselves - then the tweets by themselves to see where the harshness really is and play with crossover settings, EQ, etc ... to see if you can tame things down.

The volume thing must be related to your gain structure and remember, MOST coaxes are designed to run on headunit power and so they are much more efficient.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.