Plans for a new system

Participant count
  • Participant list

tooshort_128
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Recently bought a new 2017 F-150 last month and have been with the stock stereo for too long already. I'm trying to plan for a new setup geared more toward SQ. I'd' now rather have a nice sounding system than something everyone can hear from a few blocks away.....I'm done with that.

I'm going to try the active route for the first time and here's what I have planned so far for a budget build:

Headunit: Stock Sync 3 system (since it incorporates all kinds of factory functions)

Front mids:Crescendo PWX6's in stock location

Front highs: Crescendo STS-1's on axis in sail panel instead of stock location in the pillar

Rear fill: stock speakers

Substage: 2 10" Sundown E-10's ported

DSP: RF DSR1 (since I found that it can work as a standalone dsp and Maestro is not needed)

Mid/High Amp: PPI 900.4 or NVX 800.4

Sub Amp: PPI P1000.1 or NVX 1200.1

I'm thinking about looking for some cheaper tweets that will blend with the PWX's and also wondering if I would benefit much from bridging the 900.4 for the mids and adding a small 50rmsX2 amp for the tweets or just run all four channels from the 900.4. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

I'm no expert on this but you may want to reconsider that Maestro as it is designed to integrate that DSR1 into your factory sync and bypass the aweful factory factory amplifier and also factory EQ.

I think Maestro has recently released one for your (our) truck...

I'm in same position as you... let me know if you have luck finding a DSR1, I haven't been able to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think they make a Maestro for my truck which is why I was planning to use the DSR1 standalone.
I'm also starting to lean toward active, but I'm not knowledgeable enough (as we speak anyway) to find a matched component set without a crossover...

I'm looking at JL... finding standalone tweets seems easy, but matching a midrange driver that fits is eluding me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recently bought a new 2017 F-150 last month and have been with the stock stereo for too long already. I'm trying to plan for a new setup geared more toward SQ. I'd' now rather have a nice sounding system than something everyone can hear from a few blocks away.....I'm done with that.I'm going to try the active route for the first time and here's what I have planned so far for a budget build:

Headunit: Stock Sync 3 system (since it incorporates all kinds of factory functions)

Front mids:Crescendo PWX6's in stock location

Front highs: Crescendo STS-1's on axis in sail panel instead of stock location in the pillar

Rear fill: stock speakers

Substage: 2 10" Sundown E-10's ported

DSP: RF DSR1 (since I found that it can work as a standalone dsp and Maestro is not needed)

Mid/High Amp: PPI 900.4 or NVX 800.4

Sub Amp: PPI P1000.1 or NVX 1200.1

I'm thinking about looking for some cheaper tweets that will blend with the PWX's and also wondering if I would benefit much from bridging the 900.4 for the mids and adding a small 50rmsX2 amp for the tweets or just run all four channels from the 900.4. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
thats a pretty good setup. I wouldnt bridge the ppi unless you were doing pwx 8 or 10s or UN6.5s

If you would like to give up some midbass in exchange for MUCH louder mids, then the UNs might be better. since you have a DSP, going super tweeters wont be that bad either. When tamed with active crossovers and parametric EQ, even cheap super tweeters can sound pretty sweet like silk domes but a lot louder... Kinda like high quality alumium domes if tuned right.

thats a pretty good setup. I wouldnt bridge the ppi unless you were doing pwx 8 or 10s or UN6.5s
If you would like to give up some midbass in exchange for MUCH louder mids, then the UNs might be better. since you have a DSP, going super tweeters wont be that bad either. When tamed with active crossovers and parametric EQ, even cheap super tweeters can sound pretty sweet like silk domes but a lot louder... Kinda like high quality alumium domes if tuned right.
Looks like the UN's range only goes down to 120hz so I'd have to play my subs up that high to blend in. Not sure how that would sound. As for tweets, I'm not too well versed in tuning just yet so I'd rather go with silk domes as I like warm natural highs. If not the Crescendo STS's, would you recommend anything that would be cheaper?

Looks like the UN's range only goes down to 120hz so I'd have to play my subs up that high to blend in. Not sure how that would sound. As for tweets, I'm not too well versed in tuning just yet so I'd rather go with silk domes as I like warm natural highs. If not the Crescendo STS's, would you recommend anything that would be cheaper?
sts are fine, massive ct2s are pretty good as well. If you like midbass then yeah do the pwx and make sure you treat your doors.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yQdBvgDM3hW/p_794HARFO2/iDatalink-HRN-AR-FO2-Harness.html

sts are fine, massive ct2s are pretty good as well. If you like midbass then yeah do the pwx and make sure you treat your doors.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-yQdBvgDM3hW/p_794HARFO2/iDatalink-HRN-AR-FO2-Harness.html
Looks like they don't have a harness for my truck. Or is that because they don't make a Maestro for my truck?

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

sounds great.. good choice on ppi amps but i'm biased
Yep, great power to $$ ratio lol

Looks like they don't have a harness for my truck. Or is that because they don't make a Maestro for my truck? 

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Yep, great power to $$ ratio lol
that harness i Linked should work man. its for any 2011 and up fords.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.