Overall electrical help, batts, alt, etc

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wolverine19D
10+ year member

Hey guys, sorry to ask a bunch of questions starting out on this but I need some advice. I will be buying the needed materials to build my system in the next couple of months and am a little lost on a couple of things.

I am planning on a couple FI BL 15" subs if I can fit them in the trunk on probably an AQ or Sundown 2000-2500watt amp.

First up, my car is an 06 Hyundai Sonata and I believe the stock alt is 130amp. I can't find any HO aftermarket alternators for this car, am I out of luck?

I plan on buying a new battery for under the hood, and another 1-2 for the trunk. I can't figure out what batteries would be best to go with, Kinetic, Optima YT, Deka, XSPower? Also, I have read that using different types of batts will cause problems if they are not identical, is this the case or can I put say one HC1400 up front, and one 2400 in the back?

For wiring I have knukonceptz 0 gauge and I think one run will be adequate for 2000-2500 watts, I am just having a hard time figuring out how to run it in my car and find a place in the firewall. I really don't want to run it under the car because I have heard that's not the best idea. I also have to look into doing the BIG 3.

So basically I need some advice on electrical as far as how to run my 0 gauge, if I can run 2 different types of batts, and if my 130amp alternator is good enough with spare batts. And if not, where can I find an alternator?

Thanks!

im putting just under 3k on a stock alt and batt with a deka 9a31 in the back of my tib and only get slight dimming when i max it out, as far as your alt email excessive amperage, he can make a direct bolt on 200a for my tib for way less than any of the big name alt companies was wanting. the big 3 is the simplest thing you will ever do involving car audio (for most vehicles) there is a sticky here that will walk you thorough that. as far as batts, hit up dbeez on here or there was another member selling deka 9a31s at a killer price. and it may just be the simplest to drill a whole and put a grommet in it to get your power wire through the firewall, but there will often be a rubber gasket somewhere that you will be able to get it through.

sorry for the run on sentence btw

also getting that 15 in the trunk shouldnt be very hard, the trunks in those things are huge.

Thanks for the tips, do you know if I would have a problem running a 9a31 deka in the back and a smaller battery under the hood, or if it was a different brand? I will see about drilling a hole in the firewall and doing it like that. Whenever I do the Big 3 I am guessing that is when I can get my new battery terminals instead of using ring terminals for my power wire?

And yea the trunks in these cars are pretty huge, but I am afraid of how to squeeze a box with 2 15" subs in there because I know it will have to go in at an angle. I may almost be better off building 2 separate boxes lol ... Could probably even squeeze 2 18's in there like that.

ive got a deka in the trunk and the factory bat up front, has been that way for around a year, but my front batt now rests way low when disconnected from the deka. ive got a kinetik hc 1400 to go under the hood as soon as things warm up and a second deka for the trunk. if your going to run different batts for a long period of time a battery isolator may be a good investment.

as far as the terminals, yea thats a good time to do it, that said i still have ring terminals on all of mine, when you do the big 3 its also best to leave the factory wires there so that all the systems that need it still have power.

one of the easiest way to make sure a box will fit or to figure out what will fit is to make a mock up of the side that you need to get the proper air space out of cardboard. its cheap and will tell you exactly what you can get in your car and also tell you exactly what room you have around the box for sub and port placement. not to mention that is a lot less frustrating and expensive than building a box of mdf and it not fitting. also you might look into putting the box in through the back seats if they are easy to get out or fold down, i know the 09 does fold down but not sure on the 06

call mechman, dc power, stinger etc. (if you havnt) mechman seems to be the best bet, they do amazing work and usually can fit a huge amount of power in a stock casing or close to it. if i were you i'd do the h/o alt if you can and im sure you can. and get xs 14 volters (forgot the model) itll keep your voltage high.

Thank you guys very much, that is a great idea about using cardboard and cutting it to size and seeing what fits! And yes my backseats do fold down, and I can even take them out but the problem is I only have about 13-14" of height like this because my trunk gets taller once you get past the back seat and has about 18-20" of clearance.

I am really liking the aero port idea because this allows me to have a smaller box and get the cubes I need. I will probably have someone else build a custom box for me.

I already got ahold of excessive amperage on an alternator and it was a pretty good price for a 200A alternator. I will probably ask the other ones too and see what I can find out but I will probably go with excessive amperage because of the price and a good reputation.

As far as batteries go, I heard a battery isolator can lower your overall voltage. I already have a small HC600 Kinetic battery that I never really used.

Thanks guys, and the tips can keep coming if you have any advice!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.