Options for rear speaker power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
A while back, I asked for some advice on setting up a system and it was recommended to hook up my front high/mid/mid-bass via networked mode on the HU, the furthest rear possibly disconnected, and the middle speakers powered via the HU. (I have three row seating and so needed some rears to be connected) @Jeffdachef even gave me great advice on time alignment, eq/crossover settings, etc.

Well, finally got my three way front installed (first time making door pods....it was a pain) and got a basic tune done. I know it still needs work. I then figured it was time to hook up the middle rear speakers. Nothing. No output. Go into the HU settings and they were turned off. Can't turn em on. Dug through the manual and there is no possibility for the HU to power speakers when in 3-way networked mode.

So, I'm looking for some advice. I'm guessing that my only real option is to wire up the rears in a similar fashion to the front...figuring either a dedicated amp for them, or I could always wire in parallel with the fronts. If I wire in parallel, I would think I would run into the problem of them being the same volume as the front, which could cause sound stage issues. If I run em off a dedicated amp, I could just turn the gain down to alleviate that issue. Thoughts?

Also, I do know that if I run the rears, I'm going to be running them at the same timing as the front, since they'll simply be split off the front RCAs. With the rear gains turned down, this shouldn't be much of a problem, should it?

Any other options you guys can come up with besides getting a DSP with a whole buttload of outputs?

i'm surprised your speaker outputs doesnt work while in network mode. I did a setup that was hybrid with a 4 channle for mid and midbass and the tweeter was off head unit power. Might want to check some wiring or make sure the head unit internal amp is turned on.

your other option is to RCA split the mid and tweeter from the head unit and put in their own tiny little amp.

i'm surprised your speaker outputs doesnt work while in network mode. I did a setup that was hybrid with a 4 channle for mid and midbass and the tweeter was off head unit power. Might want to check some wiring or make sure the head unit internal amp is turned on.

your other option is to RCA split the mid and tweeter from the head unit and put in their own tiny little amp.
I agree with JeffDachef on his comment. Remember that splitting the RCAs (often the best cheap option) will also split the voltage, so take your halved voltage into account whether you hook up a separate amp or not.

I agree with JeffDachef on his comment. Remember that splitting the RCAs (often the best cheap option) will also split the voltage, so take your halved voltage into account whether you hook up a separate amp or not.
actually it doesnt half voltage at all, you can you split the signal as many times as you want without experiencing much signal loss. You only lose if you have poor connectors. I've split the signal 4 times in an older setup and still got 3.87 volts tested at the rcas. Original was 3.95 volts

I never thought to check this before I bought the HU, but right in the manual it states the rear speaker output is only turned on when using the RCA outputs in front/rear/sub mode, not 3-way. Oh well. Live and learn! Gives me another project to keep me busy....after doing some research on RTAs, after setting up the HU, after fixing the truck, after brewing more beer, after.....lol

I never thought to check this before I bought the HU, but right in the manual it states the rear speaker output is only turned on when using the RCA outputs in front/rear/sub mode, not 3-way. Oh well. Live and learn! Gives me another project to keep me busy....after doing some research on RTAs, after setting up the HU, after fixing the truck, after brewing more beer, after.....lol
use the front output then?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.