Opinions on Hifonics Brutus Amps

the brutus amps are great if you get a older one, like the BXI series, all the new stuff is plastic china crap
Don't blame China, blame the cheap bastards in the US who aren't willing to pay for quality.

With that being said... I had a BXi 1606D and it was great and it sounded like my Viper D2500.1 although with less power. One my my Kicker L7s ripped its tinsel leads after meeting the Brutus. Definitely a strong amp.

The reason I like Hifonics is pretty simple, some items have been hit and miss over the years, but overall, good quality. Nobody can deny the ability of them to perform, and many people have won trophies with them too. Personal preference is gonna be the ultimate factor. I would run a Hifonics all day long in an SPL/Daily setup with no problems whatsoever, but if it came down to SQ, I would probably choose something else. But who buys Hifonics for SQ anyways?

[quote name='Wingman0121']HiFonics used to make some of the best amplifiers back in the 90s (they were designed by Zed Audio) until the market shifted towards "best bang for the buck" and got bought up.[/QUOTE]

True True True!!! A fine example of the hit and miss! I would love to have a Old School Zed Hifonics designed amp. Not many people are willing to give them up nowadays, and I can't blame them either. Re-affirmed respect for @Wingman0121 ; !!

When everybody says there not built like they used to be , what are you refering to the BXI in 06, 07 where the model # stayed the same but the 1206 went from 2-60 amp Maxis to a single 80 and the BXi1606 went from 2 -80 amp Maxi's to 2 -60's and the build quality was visually obvious but the price stayed the same, 08 and 09 were the same and they improved the design and/or build house in 10'

Basically if you are going to buy a hifonics amplifier try to see the exact same model and year before you buy it ,I've dealt with there products since before they were bought by Maxxsonics, it is not a company I would trust on build quality top to bottom , but most are getting them dirt cheap on the net ,generally they are good bang for the buck amplifiers.

I don't remember where I read it, but someone said that mbquart's onyx amps were a completely different board than the hifonics, but its not true. Take a look at this.

I just picked up the onx1.2000d, and its a very decent amp for the money, so I'm not complaining about it. But, I am wondering if anyone knows what is different about either of these to make one rated at 300 more than the other?

onyx 2k

onx12000dguts.jpg

brz1700

311144_2235015748766_1049116588_2627917_1297353582_n.jpg

I don't remember where I read it, but someone said that mbquart's onyx amps were a completely different board than the hifonics, but its not true. Take a look at this.I just picked up the onx1.2000d, and its a very decent amp for the money, so I'm not complaining about it. But, I am wondering if anyone knows what is different about either of these to make one rated at 300 more than the other?

onyx 2k

onx12000dguts.jpg

brz1700

311144_2235015748766_1049116588_2627917_1297353582_n.jpg
The black case and MB quart logo are worth at least 300 watts

The black case and MB quart logo are worth at least 300 watts
lulz. I figure there has to be something different... it's cea approved. I think they both are. Maybe different fets? I don't know enough about the internals of amps to even guess, though.

lulz. I figure there has to be something different... it's cea approved. I think they both are. Maybe different fets? I don't know enough about the internals of amps to even guess, though.
CEA certification is only tested on 4ohms @ 14.4V; its not a true measurement of how much the amp produces

the brutus amps are great if you get a older one, like the BXI series, all the new stuff is plastic china crap
This is the kind of information that just bugs the carp out me.

Where did you get this information from...another person on some other forum?

You do know that amplifiers are made of extruded alluminum right?

Plastic end panels have been used for years and by nearly every amplifier company in business today.

And made in China...ya? ok...again, like nearly all amplifiers.

The Brutus amps are the same amp they have always been built in the same factory they have always been and in addition to minor upgrade changes each year, the only thing that has changed is the heat sink.

ive ran them for years. swore by them. til i got their new stuff. its junk. You can ask anyone i compete with. i was running the shight out of them. got the new amps they were poo i thought it was my particular build switched back and gained. then i had 2 people who i can vouch for have the same issues. All in all it hurts me to say it but the apsm>brz1700. i want to kill myself now but if budget is an issue it is what it is. hell the glx line is half decent. get those.
Same electronics...differant cosmetics.

I can assure you, there is no one that knows this better then me......

This is the kind of information that just bugs the carp out me.Where did you get this information from...another person on some other forum?

You do know that amplifiers are made of extruded alluminum right?

Plastic end panels have been used for years and by nearly every amplifier company in business today.

And made in China...ya? ok...again, like nearly all amplifiers.

The Brutus amps are the same amp they have always been built in the same factory they have always been and in addition to minor upgrade changes each year, the only thing that has changed is the heat sink.
i get this from my personal experience.. i sell hifoincs amps to noobs on a daily basis and they love them..... and no they are not the same.. feel free to say what you want to, i have been in car audio for over 20 years.. and i no whats what lol...

maxxsonics products are great for budget builds.. dont get me wrong.. but most of my stuff says Korea or usa and the only thing plastic on my amps are inserts on the rca jacks lol...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.