Finally, I'm putting together a NICE system (HDC3)

clickclickw00t
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So after years of buying Best-Buy junk like Kenwood, Kicker, Magnum, and Dual, I've decided to step up my car audio game to a whole new level. I sold off all my cheap crap and decided to build a system around one 12 inch woofer. The most I've ever had a pair of 12s (500RMS for the pair). Now I'm just looking for more trunk space.

I decided, after much research, on a AudioQue HDC3 12 incher. Now, my next two biggest challenges: building/finding someone to build a box for me, and finding a proper amplifier. I've been looking around at amps and here is what I've come up with as options:

AQ 1200D

Brutus 1700/2400

I'm trying to stay in the $200-300 price range on the amplifier, the same as the sub. I don't mind going used, so if you have anything to offer me, go ahead. I definitely want something that does OVER 1000W, because the HDC3 handles a lot more than that. I plan on going 2.8 cu ft for the box.

Thanks!

i think iirc you can get the 2200s for 300 but i maybe wrong but stay away from hifis they are junk and over rated
AQ2200D Amplifier

$429+shipping. If you know someone that wants to sell at that 275-300 price point I'd gladly buy it.

How much am I really sacrificing if I go with a 1200D instead of a 2200D? I'm sure I'll still get plenty of power? But in that case, wouldn't I just spend the same $250 and get a Brutus 2400 which is rated for double? Again, I'm trying to stay away from crappy car audio, but I've heard SOOOO many mixed reviews on HIfonics, especially the Brutus amps, that it's so hard for me to actually make a decision.

AQ2200D Amplifier$429+shipping. If you know someone that wants to sell at that 275-300 price point I'd gladly buy it.

How much am I really sacrificing if I go with a 1200D instead of a 2200D? I'm sure I'll still get plenty of power? But in that case, wouldn't I just spend the same $250 and get a Brutus 2400 which is rated for double? Again, I'm trying to stay away from crappy car audio, but I've heard SOOOO many mixed reviews on HIfonics, especially the Brutus amps, that it's so hard for me to actually make a decision.
yeah i meant used lol. just put a wanted ad for one

AQ2200D Amplifier$429+shipping. If you know someone that wants to sell at that 275-300 price point I'd gladly buy it.

I saw some Brutus ELITE (BRE) 2k's in the classifieds for cheap(300)...they are 2 stages up from the BRZ's in the HiFonics lineup and do rated.

but the B2 Quota does about the same as the AQ 1200 @ 1ohm (1400 w) for $50 less.

Have you already figured out what you will be doing with your electrical system in the car to help sustain this equipment? Some cars will need more work than others and we don't know what you drive.

Have you already figured out what you will be doing with your electrical system in the car to help sustain this equipment? Some cars will need more work than others and we don't know what you drive.
Hey skyline, I've been thinking a lot about electric too. I drive a 2012 Scion TC. Apparently, the stock alternator is 100amps, which I know is not a lot. Considering I rarely turn my system past 50% on the head unit, I don't see much power draw. Even when I had two kicker comps, and an Alpine MRP-500, along with the stock front amp, and new amp for the rears, even at full volume I wasn't getting any light dimming, so I hope things stay that way. If not, I'll just have to get another battery and wire it up in my trunk. I really dont want to do any MAJOR electrical work because the car is a lease.

The next step for your electrical is the Big 3 and possibly a battery if you want to snag a more powerful amp. I would do a 2000w+ amp just in case you need the power in the future. I believe you can get some used amps for under 300. The hifonics amps you posted will do the power but they aren't great amps from what I've seen.

The next step for your electrical is the Big 3 and possibly a battery if you want to snag a more powerful amp. I would do a 2000w+ amp just in case you need the power in the future. I believe you can get some used amps for under 300. The hifonics amps you posted will do the power but they aren't great amps from what I've seen.
Thanks for the help skyline. I think I'm gonna go with that Audioque 2200 used off these forums. Everyone seems to love them. However, for the price, I'm really considering just getting an Audiopipe 1500 and spending the $250 I'd be saving on a component setup for my front, or a really nice custom box, or dynamat!. DECISIONS DECISIONS.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.