Oldsmobile Alero Speaker Help!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

radrashad
10+ year member

I have a 2001 oldsmobile Alero Gls (2 door) and i need some help with my speakers. I got this car from my dad for free and the rear speakers didn't work when i got it. I just assumed that they were blown out or something but sometimes a sound will come out kinda like a farting sound. So i decided to check the wiring in the trunk. There are 4 black and red wires then theres 4 different colored wires per speaker. I know two are the tweeters and two are the subs. Do the the black and do the pair of tweeter wires go to one set of black and red cords and the subs the other? or does 1 wire from the tweeter and 1 wire from the sub from go to one pair of black and red wire? I'm just confused havn't ever done anything with speakers. And oh yeah one more thing to add the car has a stock monsoon amp that came with the car and is part of the soundsystem. Right now i wired how i think they should be wired but the bass is just terrible but the lyrics of sons sound fine... I just really need help with which wires go together and whether or not the speakers are blown! thanks!

What I post below is accurate to my Grand Am with monsoon. Should be identical to the Alero, I would guess, but double check. Easiest way of connecting new speakers will be to either pick the high (tweeter) wires or low (woofer) wires and only connect to one. Or just bypass the amp completely using the same wires below. I wouldn't suggest bypassing with a stock head unit though as the stock unit is practically a dead head and produces very little power on its own. You could always find the upgraded stock replacements for plug and play or find another pair of component 6x9s (I think Soundstream Tarantula has a set)

Monsoon Amplifier Wiring

FUNCTION PIN WIRE COLOR

Right Front + Input 1 L.GN

Left Front + Input 2 TN

Left Front - Input 3 GY

Right Rear - Input 4 L.BU

Right Rear + Input 5 D.BU

Left Rear + Input 6 BN

Left Rear - Input 7 YW

Chassis Ground 8 BK

Chassis Ground 9 BK

Amp Remote 10 D.GN

Constant 12 Volt 11 OG

Constant 12 Volt 12 OG

Left Front Tweeter + 13 BK

Left Front Tweeter - 14 YW

Left Front Midrange + 15 D.BU

Left Front Midrange - 16 L.BU

FUNCTION PIN WIRE COLOR

Right Front - Input 17 D.GN

Right Front Tweeter + 18 L.GN

Right Front Tweeter - 19 VT

Left Rear Tweeter - 20 VT

Left Rear Tweeter + 21 RD

Right Front Midrange - 22 D.GN

Right Front Midrange + 23 OG

Gain Control Signal 24 VT

Right Rear Tweeter - 26 YW

Right Rear Tweeter + 27 WT

Right Rear Subwoofer - 29 L.BU/BK

Right Rear Subwoofer + 30 D.GN

Left Rear Subwoofer + 31 D.BU/WT

Left Rear Subwoofer - 32 L.GN/BK

I'm starting to think my speaker is blown out because when i turn up the bass or volume the speakers starts to sound like ****. Is there any way i can fix or improvise this?

If you are big into car audio, I would replace the whole monsoon system with something else. I know this is a bit more ambitous, but as the factory premium systems from GM start to age they start to really REALLY drop off, and your more than likely going to run into one problem after another one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.