Old car audio needs updating

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a chance to buy a rf P312d4 for relatively cheap and I have a box that would work, should I buy this sub because it is cheap and from what I can find on the internet its a good sub, what are your thoughts

Ignite 3000 is actually decent even though it has a trash brand stigma. Does 900 rms certified on the dyno costs 120-130 currently(used to be under 100 before the dyno video dropped), the setup I installed it in has been running for almost two years now no issues.

That jensen/dual amp is a 2 channel amp btw not a 4 channel.
Must have been thinking of a different dyno recently. I hate supporting companies that rate a 900W amp at 3000W on general principal, but I do remember Kenwood or Pioneer or one of them had a couple decent ones making the budget gem category not long ago, really hoped someone would chime in with something like that.

I have a chance to buy a rf P312d4 for relatively cheap and I have a box that would work, should I buy this sub because it is cheap and from what I can find on the internet its a good sub, what are your thoughts
That Rockford sub should be decent but D4 ohm puts you at a 2 ohm load to the amp. If you can find a good 500W sub amp or 5 channel amp with a 400-600W sub channel that puts out to 2 ohm that may be a good option. The point being make sure your amp will make its power into 2 ohm if you buy that sub.

Comparable 500W sub that's a proven strong performer would be Dayton:
This one will be a 1 ohm load at the amp so if you chose a 1 ohm stable amp it may wind up working out better.

I'd avoid PA stuff, horns, super tweeters and similar. 99% of the time they just sound awful.

These wont be anything like that. These will sound like straight ass without going active.
Which is why I said these are just for reference. I didn't say use this specific tweeter. You don't have to go active to use a super tweeter/ bullet tweeter/ PA tweeter. You can use electronic crossovers/ a passive crossover/ Inline crossover/ the crossover on an amp/ crossover in a head unit/ the proper spec capacitor or bass blocker... there are many options as long as you cross it over.

Start over.

So whats the difference between the different ohms and are any of them better than the other

Different ohm loads for wiring to different resistances. If you have a 2 ohm stable amp you will need a Dual 4 ohm subwoofer to get a 2 ohm load and get the most power out of the amp.

If you have a 1 om stable amp you would want a Dual 2 ohm subwoofer to wire to 1 ohm.

Just wanted to comment that the 76 Cutless oozes cool. Man that takes me back as there were more than one of those in my High School parking lot. That RF “Box that Rocks” is along those same lines. I’m also a RF fan as are your relatives and have some of their new amps but much of that is because I’m an old guy re-living my youth and harking back to 1989 (when my thoughts were short and my hair was long...🎶 ) and RF was King of the Hill.

There are a lot of new/different/more affordable quality brands out there these days that would be great for a guy your age in your position with your budget and goals in mind. Others on here can certainly point you in the right direction as I am not very well versed on all of the new brands/models/options as others. While I’m certainly a RF fan, I’d be open to all of the other options guys are pointing out as well if I were in your shoes. They can probably get you the most bang (or boom) for the buck.

Oh, and if I didn’t mentioned it - that car is cool! (But yeah, the stock speaker locations can be a challenge)

Last edited:
Just wanted to comment that the 76 Cutless oozes cool. Man that takes me back as there were more than one of those in my High School parking lot. That RF “Box that Rocks” is along those same lines. I’m also a RF fan as are your relatives and have some of their new amps but much of that is because I’m an old guy re-living my youth and harking back to 1989 (when my thoughts were short and my hair was long...🎶 ) and RF was King of the Hill.

There are a lot of new/different/more affordable quality brands out there these days that would be great for a guy your age in your position with your budget and goals in mind. Others on here can certainly point you in the right direction as I am not very well versed on all of the new brands/models/options as others. While I’m certainly a RF fan, I’d be open to all of the other options guys are pointing out as well if I were in your shoes. They can probably get you the most bang (or boom) for the buck.

Oh, and if I didn’t mentioned it - that car is cool! (But yeah, the stock speaker locations can be a challenge)
Yeah its a fun car in a few months I will be dropping in a 500 horse 455 buicj

Yeah its a cool car right now its got the 350 rocket but in a few months I'll be dropping in a 500 horse 455 buick. I think the stock speakers are good for their age but I know that they **** sound quality wise and I was just looking for some advice on what to get, I was going to go with the rf 6x9s and their 3.5 inch speakers and call it good but I was thinking maybe there are better things for roughly the same price

So if I got that Dayton sub what amp would you recommend, I was also thinking of gettin a set of 3way 6x9s and 2way 3.5 inch speakers what are some good brands

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.