Alpine X 12" Enclosure Recommendations

kchyde

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2019
Huntsville, TX
I recently got the new Alpine X 12", and built a box to the recommended specs from the Alpine manual, but I just feel it's not hitting as hard as it should. My 12" W3 hit just as hard with 500 watts, and I'm pushing 900 watts to the Alpine so I figured there should be a noticeable difference. Anyone have the Alpine X that hits like it should? What box are you using?

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
switching subs and increasing wattage by 400 watts isnt gonna be much louder to the ear....you need double the power or twice the cone area to really hear a difference....and the type x isnt known to be an SPL monster, are you ported or sealed?

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Usually manufactures fib on the box recommendations. You running sealed or ported? How big is your box before displacement? If ported, what is it tuned to? Got any pics?

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
In something custom designed the Swx can get down. Some prefabs are better than others but are still prefabs.

OP
kchyde

kchyde

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2019
Huntsville, TX
I built a box based on the ported specs. Tuned to 33 hz. I didn’t take any pics of the inside of the box. It’s a long small square port.

shredder2

CarAudio.com Elite
Nov 19, 2017
Az
I built a box based on the ported specs. Tuned to 33 hz. I didn’t take any pics of the inside of the box. It’s a long small square port.
Maybe a few pics of the box would help
and exactly what amp are you using?
Would the 12W6 in the ported HO box provide more SPL?
You'll not see any HUGE difference I believe. Give that Swx a chance

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
As others have said...Manufacturers are not exactly correct when they put those specs out. Mine on my most recent subs were off quite a bit. Trust someone who knows how to design a box.

Reactions: kchyde

Radiospank

Senior VIP Member
Mar 27, 2012
los angeles
hey just looked up both woofers and 400 watts is not much of a difference as someone said, but
the w3 sensitivity is 87.15 while the type X is 84.3. This is significant enough to make the type X power hungry to get the cone moving. Personally I would've stuck with the w3 and or get two of them. The type X are rated for 900 watt rms, that's W7 territory, better have some amp power to push those things.

Reactions: kchyde
OP
kchyde

kchyde

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2019
Huntsville, TX
Maybe a few pics of the box would help
and exactly what amp are you using?

You'll not see any HUGE difference I believe. Give that Swx a chance
I'm pushing it with a Kicker KX800.1. The spec sheet that came with it says it's pushing 907 watts RMS so it "should" match perfectly with the X. Any good custom box designers you know of in the Houston or Dallas area?.. or someone online to design it and I build it?

Last edited:
OP
kchyde

kchyde

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2019
Huntsville, TX
hey just looked up both woofers and 400 watts is not much of a difference as someone said, but
the w3 sensitivity is 87.15 while the type X is 84.3. This is significant enough to make the type X power hungry to get the cone moving. Personally I would've stuck with the w3 and or get two of them. The type X are rated for 900 watt rms, that's W7 territory, better have some amp power to push those things.
Well... you live and you learn smh... I had the w3 about 4 years ago and sold it when someone totaled my car, and I got a different car... and when I decided to get another sub I'd never had Alpine and heard good things about them so decided to give it a shot... now I know to just stick to JL since they seem to provide what like.

OP
kchyde

kchyde

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2019
Huntsville, TX
JL while nice is also overpriced imho. There is a ton of subwoofer brands that are equal or better for the pricing.
Yeah, def on the pricey side... that's why I get them from Craigslist or OfferUp for half price ;), and they're already broken in so I can blast them from the get go.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Problem is though most people beat the crap out of them, personally I wouldn't trust people on those sites but that is just me. Not unless I did a complete recone on it.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Don’t give up on that Type X unless you’re going to sell it to me. Those are really great woofers. Instead of changing to a W6 let’s figure out what’s missing. What is it wired to? Send a photo of the box so we can see it. Also what kind of vehicle is it in and where is the sub firing?

Reactions: Radiospank
OP
kchyde

kchyde

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2019
Huntsville, TX
Don’t give up on that Type X unless you’re going to sell it to me. Those are really great woofers. Instead of changing to a W6 let’s figure out what’s missing. What is it wired to? Send a photo of the box so we can see it. Also what kind of vehicle is it in and where is the sub firing?
You can make me an offer... 👀

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I think the port is too small. Again, I know you followed Alpines specs but I just don’t think that’s good enough for the sub. I think the box build looks good by the way

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
Like i said in your other thread:

Port is way too small

Box volume is too small

After seeing a pic I will add this:

Port needs to rear fire, you should only side fire the port in a trunk car if you know what youre doing and have a loading wall.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
I would do 3 cubes at 28 hz with the type X. The w6 is more efficient ported than the type x, in terms of box size. That x wants to be in a big box tuned super low, with lots of port area. 40 sq inches or so. my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 9)

• audioholic
  • kchyde
  • S

Latest posts

Newest threads

Latest classifieds