Old car audio needs updating

Participant count
  • Participant list

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello, I bought a 1976 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme 2 door about a year ago and put in an original Rockford Fosgate “Box that Rocks” in the trunk and was wondering what would be a good pair of 10 inch subs to replace the old Rockfords. I would like this to be an affordable set and i also would appreciate any amp suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
1976Olds

Hello, I bought a 1976 Oldsmobile cutlass supreme 2 door about a year ago and put in an original Rockford Fosgate “Box that Rocks” in the trunk and was wondering what would be a good pair of 10 inch subs to replace the old Rockfords. I would like this to be an affordable set and i also would appreciate any amp suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
1976Olds
RF makes entry level "affordable" stuff but I'd advise against. Their higher end stuff is nice but spendy.

Lots has changed by way of audio since those days. Head units are really great and cheap, power is absurdly cheap, and speakers are generally built around the fact that power is super cheap.

That being said, most modern high powered subwoofers are designed to function best in ported box. The catch being ported box must be properly designed to match what the subs want if you are to have good performance. There are some good options for subs that will function in sealed box as well and there's a couple high power options there (but the really good ones aren't cheap).

Best place to start is to tell us your goals and budget and start from there. For subs it's critical to pair the subs with the correct airspace. If you're dead set on using your antique box please post dimensions, if you can build your own box, let us know how much volume you wish to give up in the trunk and we can plan around that.

Lastly, do you plan on putting some component or coaxial speakers in the front? Do you own a head unit or have plans to buy one?

I listen to a lot of rock (the old stuff) and would like it to add a nice balance but when my friends get in the car and want to play something like rap I would like it to shake the car and make you know that there are subs, I would like to use the box but I am also quite good with wood working so I could make my own. I will the the measurements when i get home. I have about 800-1000 bucks that I could spend on it and I have already put in a new custom autosound USA740 head unit. I do plan on putting in new 3.5 inch speakers up front and 6x9s in the rear deck. If at all possible I would like to just use those as speakers as I don’t want to have to make locations for the other speakers

I listen to a lot of rock (the old stuff) and would like it to add a nice balance but when my friends get in the car and want to play something like rap I would like it to shake the car and make you know that there are subs, I would like to use the box but I am also quite good with wood working so I could make my own. I will the the measurements when i get home. I have about 800-1000 bucks that I could spend on it and I have already put in a new custom autosound USA740 head unit. I do plan on putting in new 3.5 inch speakers up front and 6x9s in the rear deck. If at all possible I would like to just use those as speakers as I don’t want to have to make locations for the other speakers
You'll have to write up a review for that head unit. I've never seen one (or even heard of them) myself, but for the price it should be decent. Fitment into old cars and keeping a stock look is a great feature though!

For what it's worth you'll never get good sound with 3.5's on the dash and 6x9s in the rear but you can at least get loud and clear. I'm a big fan of JBL/Infinity lineup. I can vouch for the JBL stadium series 6x9 components as being excellent (though a bit spendy). In general stick to known brands and stay out of the entry level tier (or that price range) and you can do fine. 120-150$ range per set should buy you some decent components if you just want to plug and play with factory holes. As you say, you probably want to keep everything stock/classic so if you really felt froggy about getting high quality soundstage your least invasive option would be building some custom kickpanels. There's a guy local to me who competes in a 70s cutlass, he has had no mids and highs in it, only a big wall of subwoofers. He is planning to make it play music for next season and he has purchased some junk yard door panels to do a big custom build with (his original ones are really nice still and he doesn't want to carve them up or mod them).

This would be a great 4 channel amp to power up your mids and highs with. Definitely a winner for the price range.

I'm really not up on what a good 500-600W mono amp for sub duty would be these days but there's always one for around 100$ you can find from a reputable brand, someone else can probably chime in on what the popular one is these days that you're likely to find in stock anywhere.

By my estimation that leaves you 200$ for a good sub, 100$ for wood and materials to build and finish a very nice box then you're out perhaps 50-100$ in wiring and such to put it all together.

Simple... throw some Pro Audio 6x9's in the rear deck, surface mount some Pro Audio titanium tweeters on said deck, throw some decent 10's or 12's in the trunk with a pair of decent amplifiers and call it a day. It WILL be loud and clear, rock will be great and when you want to thump it will do that too. It should not cost a lot to do what you described.. "I listen to rock... want it to also boom when friends want rap music...".

Tweeters like this, mounted on the deck in the corners... no modifications needed.

Last edited:
Simple... throw some Pro Audio 6x9's in the rear deck, surface mount some Pro Audio titanium tweeters on said deck, throw some decent 10's or 12's in the trunk with a pair of decent amplifiers and call it a day. It WILL be loud and clear, rock will be great and when you want to thump it will do that too. It should not cost a lot to do what you described.. "I listen to rock... want it to also boom when friends want rap music...".

Tweeters like this, mounted on the deck in the corners... no modifications needed.

[/QU Do you have any advise for what subs to get

I should probably say this, I’m 16 soon to be 17 and have recently gotten into car audio. I am a gear head and in the summer work on diesel trucks. I bought the Box that Rocks for cheap because they where cheap. I also have a 12 inch box with an old RF punch that has a rotted out surround. I have an old 200 watt amp that according to what I’ve found on the internet is enough for these woofers and it is 4 channels. I’m very new to the car audio world and have heard good things about RF from old relatives. Any and all help posted on here is very appreciated, Thanks.

I should probably say this, I’m 16 soon to be 17 and have recently gotten into car audio. I am a gear head and in the summer work on diesel trucks. I bought the Box that Rocks for cheap because they where cheap. I also have a 12 inch box with an old RF punch that has a rotted out surround. I have an old 200 watt amp that according to what I’ve found on the internet is enough for these woofers and it is 4 channels. I’m very new to the car audio world and have heard good things about RF from old relatives. Any and all help posted on here is very appreciated, Thanks.
Yeah, I'd respond like an old relative too. I still like RF stuff and currently run a "bottom line", if you can call it that, RF Prime 1200w sub amp to a Punch P3D4 10 inch sub. It shakes the car, believe me. I am also running a RF DSP, the 3Sixty.3. Dear lord don't get into DSP's unless you like your brain bleeding internally from frustration from time to time. They are time consuming. Listen, if you like Rockford Fosgate but want to start with not spending as much as you could spend then try their newest Prime amps with C.L.E.A.N. and give their Punch P2 or P3 subs a shot. On a budget I really don't think you would be disappointed. Throw a set of two way Power series 6x9's in the back deck. I helped my buddy put a set in the rear deck of his 1978 Camaro with a 2 channel pioneer amp and those 6x9's SCREAM!!! Those were all he had in the car for speakers, no subs, no front speakers and they were plenty.

You'll have to write up a review for that head unit. I've never seen one (or even heard of them) myself, but for the price it should be decent. Fitment into old cars and keeping a stock look is a great feature though!

For what it's worth you'll never get good sound with 3.5's on the dash and 6x9s in the rear but you can at least get loud and clear. I'm a big fan of JBL/Infinity lineup. I can vouch for the JBL stadium series 6x9 components as being excellent (though a bit spendy). In general stick to known brands and stay out of the entry level tier (or that price range) and you can do fine. 120-150$ range per set should buy you some decent components if you just want to plug and play with factory holes. As you say, you probably want to keep everything stock/classic so if you really felt froggy about getting high quality soundstage your least invasive option would be building some custom kickpanels. There's a guy local to me who competes in a 70s cutlass, he has had no mids and highs in it, only a big wall of subwoofers. He is planning to make it play music for next season and he has purchased some junk yard door panels to do a big custom build with (his original ones are really nice still and he doesn't want to carve them up or mod them).

This would be a great 4 channel amp to power up your mids and highs with. Definitely a winner for the price range.

I'm really not up on what a good 500-600W mono amp for sub duty would be these days but there's always one for around 100$ you can find from a reputable brand, someone else can probably chime in on what the popular one is these days that you're likely to find in stock anywhere.

By my estimation that leaves you 200$ for a good sub, 100$ for wood and materials to build and finish a very nice box then you're out perhaps 50-100$ in wiring and such to put it all together.

Ignite 3000 is actually decent even though it has a trash brand stigma. Does 900 rms certified on the dyno costs 120-130 currently(used to be under 100 before the dyno video dropped), the setup I installed it in has been running for almost two years now no issues.

That jensen/dual amp is a 2 channel amp btw not a 4 channel.

Uhm have you ever heard those? Without any proper dsp controls running active the setup will sound like complete and utter ass.

I haven't heard those specific speakers, they are just for reference. I knew people back in the day that ran those types of tweeters... well before "DSP's". Optimus and Realistic brands to be exact. They were very loud. I know one guy ran a Coustic crossover to a few Majestic amplifiers and ran them. I remember it sounding impressive.

I haven't heard those specific speakers, they are just for reference. I knew people back in the day that ran those types of tweeters... well before "DSP's". Optimus and Realistic brands to be exact. They were very loud. I know one guy ran a Coustic crossover to a few Majestic amplifiers and ran them. I remember it sounding impressive.
These wont be anything like that. These will sound like straight ass without going active.

What do you guys think of American bass subs
solid daily performer. More towards the heavy bass crowd than sound quality

Thanks in advance.
1976Olds

Is this what you have? Man, had one of those in my very first car. It was a 1978 cutlass supreme. Memories🤔

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.