Ohm reading with the Fluke. Suggestions Please!

Interversion

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 4 DVC subs I checked all the coils with the fluke and they're all reading 2.8 ohms. I'm confused because it should be 4, correct? and if not they're not good VC's? Why would all be the exact same measurements of ohms because I would assume they would all go out at different levels not all the same exact?! I believe I did it absolutely right, silent room, sub up right, my fluke is hooked up right, and on the right settings, I even made sure my wires for the fluke were good. So any help or advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Subs are TS-W3003D4 12" Pioneer Champion Series Pro.

I have 4 DVC subs I checked all the coils with the fluke and they're all reading 2.8 ohms. I'm confused because it should be 4, correct? and if not they're not good VC's? Why would all be the exact same measurements of ohms because I would assume they would all go out at different levels not all the same exact?! I believe I did it absolutely right, silent room, sub up right, my fluke is hooked up right, and on the right settings, I even made sure my wires for the fluke were good. So any help or advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Subs are TS-W3003D4 12" Pioneer Champion Series Pro.
Are they used? Take a picture of the fluke with reading and settings and take a picture where your probes are. Do you have another multimeter to test

Multimeters only measure resistance. Voice coils are rated in impedance, which is a combination of resistance and inductive reactance. You have to calculate impedance using ohm's law.

Are they used? Take a picture of the fluke with reading and settings and take a picture where your probes are. Do you have another multimeter to test
I tested all the same way just like this

Attachments

• 44CFF2F8-3815-4139-B3F2-E4A9442A8DEA.jpeg
    44CFF2F8-3815-4139-B3F2-E4A9442A8DEA.jpeg
    726.2 KB · Views: 45
  • B0B9D29E-E1AD-45BF-AEE8-29745554EDF7.jpeg
    B0B9D29E-E1AD-45BF-AEE8-29745554EDF7.jpeg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 229ECAA9-82F5-4518-B16B-5F983712282D.jpeg
    229ECAA9-82F5-4518-B16B-5F983712282D.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DF1306E8-4C53-497D-8F18-79DB8AACAA6C.jpeg
    DF1306E8-4C53-497D-8F18-79DB8AACAA6C.jpeg
    743.2 KB · Views: 49
Yeah just to pile on with that, your reading the DC resistance, not AC impedance. DC resistance will vary from speaker model, but I don’t see anything to worry about here, it is often times lower that the rated impedance.

Edit: I remembered the old Kicker manuals stated the DC resistsance. You can see the specs are based on 4 ohm voice coils, since the subs are DVC they are wired in series for their measurements, and they show the DC resistance of each model.

Last edited:
I see yall are smoking f*cking rocks again. Is this place telling me I can't test the impedance of subwoofer coils with a multimeter? First thing you want to do is touch the two leads together. If it doesn't say zero then you will have to take that into account and add or subtract it from the measurement. Good chance the coils are in the low 3 range. If both coils read the same then the sub is fine. Run it.

make sure the sub is still and you aren’t pushing on the cone while taking the reading. Change the battery in your fluke meter to a fresh one. Many times when the batteries are dying it will read low.

2.8 ohm DCR is well within the range of what a manufacturer would call "4 ohm" for a published impedance. Assuming they move when you apply voltage the coils are fine.

As posted what you are measuring is the DCR with only a few hundred mA of current. Nominal impedance would still be considered to be about 4ohms.

If you were to measure the impedance at say 20Hz using a working amount of current with the coils at temperature you would get a much different result..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...