Nova Build Log

Nova76
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ok so this isn't really car audio related at the moment but i figured id start one for the build im doing on it first the engine then the audio.

well my engine blew wednesday night so i threw a piston rod and it had a really bad knock but i dint think anything off it because i was only driving it for school and not far so im getting a High Performance 350 made for me with a new block, pistons, 470/470 comp cam, new heads, High Volume oil pump, the same type of intake as my old one, and i have to reuse my carb to keep cost down.

i started to tear the front end of the engine down today all i need to do is detach the tranny from it and unhook the motor mounts and get that Bish out of there unfortunatly i have to wait till this sat to pull it since my uncle has the engine hoist and knows how to do that stuff and then just another half a week to a week and the new engine is going to be droped in there then i can get my audio built.

sadly thought i had to sell my new amp to get money for the engine but its to a homie so hopfully i can get it back from him after i get this done for cheaper than he paid me for it BUT thats for a diff time

Before

1227071213a.jpg

After

0427081525.jpg

0427081523.jpg

We're watching, waiting... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
haha its maybe next friday till i can get back to working on it since i got school mon-thurs and i have no jack at the moment but ill post picks once i get the driveshaft out and the pipes droped.

ok so i have to wait till sat to actualy do any more work to it but im thinking about painting my rims since there so old and there starting to show ALOT of wear on them now im thinking since i painted all my chrome peices black except the bumpers and the window trim (dont know how to take those off) that if i painted the rims black it match the other peices now theres a peice in the middle of each spoke that sinks in a little idk weather to paint that peice yellow or just go all black on the rims what do you guys think?

just looking to see what you guys might think would look better because right now the rims dont look to good thanks.

Do not paint the bumpers or window trim. Post a closeup of the wheel and a little better explanation of what you would like to accomplish with it.
yea the bumpers im keeping chrome i love the way they look to much:) i was still undecided on the window trim because i like chrome on my car but i wanted to do it black and yellow but i was leaning more to just keep them chrome.

theres actually two lines that sink in on the rims there IROCs by the way (i know IROCs on a nova they were on the the car when i first bought it and i just keeped them because there super light but i just want to make them look a little better instead of the faded alumminum look that they have im thinking it would look good since the side light bezels, grill, head light housing and the tail light bezels are black and my interior is paited black to match im planing on changing them out to have probly skinny 14-15" in the front and some 16-17" in the back to give it a more of a drag racing look as im going to be taking it to the track as soon as i get the new engine it.

its really dark out side so this is the best picture i could get of the rims the other one i found off of google

if you HAVE to stick with those rims, i'd say black and the yellow sunk in would look pretty good...

i love the car man...

if your just waiting until you get the money for some rims, all im gonna say is nothing gaudy on that car...for the love of god

if you HAVE to stick with those rims, i'd say black and the yellow sunk in would look pretty good...
i love the car man...

if your just waiting until you get the money for some rims, all im gonna say is nothing gaudy on that car...for the love of god
tyea for now as i have to buy a new engine and still have to work my car audio up after this im pretty much broke .

thanks man and naw im not going with anything to big or flashy just something to give it a more muscel car look and give it a nice stance either five spoke american racing rims or some closed up weld wheels.

but thanks for the feed back man anyone else?

yea the bumpers im keeping chrome i love the way they look to much:) i was still undecided on the window trim because i like chrome on my car but i wanted to do it black and yellow but i was leaning more to just keep them chrome.
theres actually two lines that sink in on the rims there IROCs by the way (i know IROCs on a nova they were on the the car when i first bought it and i just keeped them because there super light but i just want to make them look a little better instead of the faded alumminum look that they have im thinking it would look good since the side light bezels, grill, head light housing and the tail light bezels are black and my interior is paited black to match im planing on changing them out to have probly skinny 14-15" in the front and some 16-17" in the back to give it a more of a drag racing look as im going to be taking it to the track as soon as i get the new engine it.

its really dark out side so this is the best picture i could get of the rims the other one i found off of google
I suggest 3m rubbing compound and a electric buffer for the main face of the wheel. Use and old pad and go to town with it. The inlay is a little tricky once yor wheels are polished take your time and tape off the outside of the inlay and paint it will some high temp rattle can stuff (caliper paint). Since your painting in a rigde take your time and use side to side sweeps and let the paint coat it gradually. once you have them polished and painted, apply some wheel finish sealer.

I suggest 3m rubbing compound and a electric buffer for the main face of the wheel. Use and old pad and go to town with it. The inlay is a little tricky once yor wheels are polished take your time and tape off the outside of the inlay and paint it will some high temp rattle can stuff (caliper paint). Since your painting in a rigde take your time and use side to side sweeps and let the paint coat it gradually. once you have them polished and painted, apply some wheel finish sealer.
alright thanks for the help man ill try the 3m and the buffer and see how it works out with the painting hopfully it doesnt glop up on the inside gap

look on ebay for somem used weld draglites or prostar wheels, you could get a set for like 500 used.
yea iv seen some on craigslist here for cheap its probly going to be anothere year or a year and a half till i can get some new ones i still have to get my rear leaf springs rearched or buy new ones and get new springs for the front

ok so me and my uncle pulled the engine yesterday i dint get pics because we were pressed on time to get it over to the guy and i saw my new engine to day painted yellow with the chrome valve covers and a chrome and red racing timing tab it looks nice i cant wait to get it in my nova and see how it runs.

anyways i finaly was able to take my heater core off so now i have room and can get some headers made later on, and was able to scrap all the caked up grease near the engine mounts so you can see the metal now and ill be able to tell if i ever have leak where its coming from also i taped everything off (newspaper and duct tape haha) so i could paint my fire wall, wheel wells, and the front clip because it had alot of overspray from the last guy and looked kind of greenish but now its all black and im just waiting for it to dry to put the 3rd coat on.

i also repainted the grill black had a couple nasty chips in the paint from some rocks well heres the pics

well got everything painted hit the firewall, wheel wells, hood hinges, grill, and the front clip with a coat of rust prevention black then 3 coats of dupli color flat black i also went ahead and cleaned the intake manifold as best i could and hit it with dupli color engine enamel semi-gloss black since imna be doing my engine parts black it made it look alot better and gives it a nice custom look as i havent seen anyone in tucson with it black yet at least.

it took just about all day i taped everything off last night and i woke up at 8 this morning and started and i got done around 5-515 so just about 9 hours to do this but all i gotta say was that it was worth it, it looks a hell of alot better well on to the pics.

after the first coat of black looks kinda chrome to me in the pic.

0504081454b.jpg

after the final coat just letting it dry out.

0504081454.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.