???? not mdf but 4' x 8' Fiberboard Sheathing

Nutdawg651

CarAudio.com Elite
would it be possible to build a box out of a 4' x 8' Fiberboard Sheathing instead of mdf has anyone out there ever done it?

if so how did it sound and are the properties of the boards similar or is there a sound diff i mean you can barely tell the diff between mdf and particle board

fill me in on some info feedback not dikhead answers you can shove that ish!

is it worth experimenting???

MDF is medium density fiberboard... only thing i would worry about is stiffness of the material, or if weight is a concern, but you will never hear a difference between wood.

and just to let you know, asking for people not to give dickhead answers is asking to not get help or to get lit up with our particular CA.com sense of humor.

the difference is mdf does not flex like fiberboard for which will help sound q and db a seal box with some bracing would work i would not build a ported box with fiber board
MDF is fiberboard, that why it's called medium density fiberboard. You can make a box out of any flat solid material, the more dense it is, the better. A few braces here and there will solve any flexing issues. Honestly, bracing a box throughout would be more beneficial than doubling the width. With all that said I would use MDF.

are you referring to common particle board type or like hardybacker?

If you look closely at the major brands loaded enclosures its Chipboard not MDF.

IMO I dont see the harm in experimenting but I have always been happiest with MDF vs other types of wood for boxes. You may have different experience.

MDF is medium density fiberboard... only thing i would worry about is stiffness of the material, or if weight is a concern, but you will never hear a difference between wood.

and just to let you know, asking for people not to give dickhead answers is asking to not get help or to get lit up with our particular CA.com sense of humor.
yes you will. the res freq of certain woods can make a box sound different.

yes you will. the res freq of certain woods can make a box sound different.
While your statement is correct, it's also highly flawed. Wood itself doesn't have a natural resonance frequency. Resonance is determined by material properties and also dimensions of the material. Too many variables to really worry about resonance of wood. Simply adding a brace will change it, putting carpet on it will change it, or any number of things. The audibility of is so tiny it's something that shouldn't be considered. Like was said in the post you quoted, I'd be more worried about making it as stiff as I could.

Yea I figured that I never double width I just brace ,but I wanna port it so I dont have to use as much power plus the sub preforms substantially better in a ported over sealed plus I want trunk space so after displacement im only working with 2cf which is perfect for it but until this new job puts me on the schedual im on a major budget with these little sh1tbag kids lmao so , mdf or fiberboard sheathing ? I really dont see the diff beside the density its still rather heavy

in my eyes the type of material is important because the slight difference can change tuning drastically.

i have played with material a lil i built 2 box with the same dimensions and both tuned 2 34 hz one out of 3/4 mdf and one out of good one side plywood because my buddy with the same truck was to cheap to spend the 10 extra dollars for mdf and i found there was a big difference in sound between the 2 both sounded good but i like the mdf a lot better. I dont no if particle board would be any different than the g1s but go for it and let us know. what you think. if you don't like it you could always fiberglass it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

in my eyes the type of material is important because the slight difference can change tuning drastically.i have played with material a lil i built 2 box with the same dimensions and both tuned 2 34 hz one out of 3/4 mdf and one out of good one side plywood because my buddy with the same truck was to cheap to spend the 10 extra dollars for mdf and i found there was a big difference in sound between the 2 both sounded good but i like the mdf a lot better. I dont no if particle board would be any different than the g1s but go for it and let us know. what you think. if you don't like it you could always fiberglass it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Oh heeelll no , everyone has there opinion on that **** ive fiberglassed and term labd , the audible diff for use with that **** is .5 dbs imo its a waste of time and money , and unless your using like a foam roller the **** wont get smooth youll either leave streaks or pours which your trying to avoid in the first place hence the board being so **** smooth when you but it besides that fact youll have to lay it on so thin or so thick you can change the dimmension of the box gerastically and cannot catch that by eye on one or more sides so like I said waste of time and BUDGET money I dont have

Oh heeelll no , everyone has there opinion on that **** ive fiberglassed and term labd , the audible diff for use with that **** is .5 dbs imo its a waste of time and money , and unless your using like a foam roller the **** wont get smooth youll either leave streaks or pours which your trying to avoid in the first place hence the board being so **** smooth when you but it besides that fact youll have to lay it on so thin or so thick you can change the dimmension of the box gerastically and cannot catch that by eye on one or more sides so like I said waste of time and BUDGET money I dont have
Yo could use a wood sealer instead. Its what Drum builders use to help the wood last years.

And on the plywod note I bought Birch for a box 1 time never again unless customer is paying MDF 31/sheet Birch 52/sheet and I dont get splinters from the MDF. Ive used the reg particle board in past thatsusually 10 buckks cheaper than MDF so that does help a little.

i made the mistake of buying a sheet of mdf 10 minutes before the lumber yard closed..i didnt realize until i got home that it was actually particle board.. i know i should of checked but i was in a rush. needless to say i built my box anyway and i couldnt be happier with how it sounds. i braced the hell out it though but i havent ran into any problems yet. not the ideal material to use but it works. just make sure you pre drill and counter sink the screws. i used a lot of wood glue and siliconed the seams to seal everything off. i also put a bead of silicone on the rough edge inside the port and smoothed it out with my finger because i was worried about port noise. but next time i will be sure to get mdf or birch

Thanks guys lets see if mdf goes on sale for fathersday again tomorrow but if not ill see how particle board works or fiberboard sheathing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.