noobie questions about custom install

slug420
10+ year member

CT
ahoy folks

I recently purchased some stereo equipment and plan on having a custom installation done in my trunk (for subs and amps). I went in to tweeter where I knew a really good installer worked but the price quote was a little rich for my blood, so I am now planning on crafting the install on my own and just having a tweeter/local shop do the wiring (which I am less comfortable with).

Now, if you guys could post some pictures that would prove me wrong here i would be forever grateful because it would cut my costs and time - but in my experience, I have never seen a trunk (sides floor and enclosure) covered in carpet that looks clean/impressive/custom/showy (pick one) enough for what I would like. Maybe there are some other materials to consider, maybe even some really clean looking carpet choices too, but as of right now, since carpet hasnt shown itself to me as a viable option, I am considering vinyl/fiberglass. I am a newbie in car audio and have never done an installation before, however my dad who will be helping me with this is a very experienced carpenter, so I am not really intimidated by the work that will be required in making the install. I am however, intimidated by the covering. Vinyl seems like it would be very difficult to wrap around oddly shaped edges/openings and like any mistake would be very noticable in the final product. not to mention I cant find any how-tos or anything online or off on how to work with vinyl... Fiberglass on the other hand - i have access to all the materials and an experienced fiberglasser to give me some tips - seems like it would be more forgiving in that mistakes can be sanded down/cut away and so on until you get the trunk looking like you want, then apply a gelcoat and take it to a local paint shop to have it painted and it would look like a million bucks. I do however fear how messy I can see this getting in the trunk of my car, and how difficult it might be to work with fiberglass in a small closed space sich as my trunk.

So.....what would you guys suggest?

Your input about surfacing my install is greatly appreciated.

Another area I am looking for some advice in is the installation itself.

Simple things like when making a raised floor, or sidepanels for that matter......what all goes betweent he floor/sidepanels, and the car? do you use little posts under the floor to hold it up, or 'trusses' running the width/length of the trunk? How are these trusses/legs or whatever attached to the car? adhesive, what kind?

do you guys know of any good websites/books or anything for learning about this type of information? All the install guides or newbie guides focus on wiring - which I am perfectly comfotable with paying a pro to do for me as I dont really have the time or inclination to learn about the wiring aspect.

thanks again!

it's all aobut the tools. if you have the right tools, everythign would be very easy. if you dont, you are in fora tough time trying to get around this problem.

some nice tools to have access too wouldu be a table saw, router or spiral saw, and probably a sander (electric would be nice).

you can do vinyl, i am gonna do my trunk with vinyl and they are having a sale on Jo-anns (http://www.joann.com) for your closest location. i think vinyl looks neat n clearner than carpet.

tools are not an issue. I think i have a full arsenal at my disposal. Only thing I might be lacking in is some sort of pneumatic sprayer if thats what you need for applying adhesive to vinyl and whatnot......

thanks for the input, ill check out those links. Oh, and on selectproducts.com, i saw a few different kinds of vinyl - whats the differences? whats good and whats bad?

Originally posted by slug420 Oh, and on selectproducts.com, i saw a few different kinds of vinyl - whats the differences? whats good and whats bad?

Different quality's of material. Different stretching abilities they charge more for the stuff that stretches easier. Also some of the more "specialized" colors and textures are more expensive. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I forgot. You don't really have to have a sprayer for the adhesives and such. It just makes things alot easier. You can brush it on if you would like. It's just slower that's all. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.