No Mid Bass From My ID XS65's

07maximan
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I recently had some custom work done in my car to accomodate my amps and subs,not only does it sound great...it looks awesome.

While I had it in the shop they did a complete tune for me. I have an ID 1200.1, ID 450.4 Audiocontrol EQS and a Pioneer AVH 8400. Over all every thing sounds good,but my ID's have no mid bass. The installer tried to coax some out but almost no results. If I crank up the bass boost I get some,but I think it might be just distortion. I installed them myself and used plenty of Dynamat on the doors. I covered all the holes too...Im lost.

The installer showed me the start of his project in his car. He had a JL HD amp(150x4) with some C5's in the front doors. I was blown away!! His doors very vibrating from the bass. He didnt even really do to much to his either, he said he just put some Dynamat around the speaker.

Now they are trying to sell me kick panels. He said it will make the speakers sound way better. Im not opposed to spending the money but is it really necessary? They are around 500.00...

if your speakers are mounted infinite baffle then you will lose mid bass, i have my mid bass 6.5s in a fiberglass door pod that i made and it yielded way better mid bass.
Not everyone going that route will get better midbass. Most mids are meant to be mounted in a door, and the door can be treated to get better midbass response. The treatments I use and prefer and CLD damping tiles, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl as a sound barrier. You want to seal off the rear sound waves from the front in order to reduce harmful cancellation.

Thanks guys.

I dont think they are trying to screw me over, Ive been a good customer to them and Ive got to know the installer very well.

Whats infinite baffle? I never heard that term before...

Am I giving them enough power? Is 75 per side enough for these? I'm thinking about switching to the JL's.... It seems like a lot of people have complained about the lack of mid bass from the ID's. I don't want to spend the money on kick panels and still have weak mid bass.

I'm not sure what to do here. Any one else have any advice?

Not everyone going that route will get better midbass. Most mids are meant to be mounted in a door, and the door can be treated to get better midbass response. The treatments I use and prefer and CLD damping tiles, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl as a sound barrier. You want to seal off the rear sound waves from the front in order to reduce harmful cancellation.
This post that u ignored gave u all the advice u need.

Seal and deaden those doors properly or you'll spend buttloads and still have no midbass.

More than just dynamat.....

This post that u ignored gave u all the advice u need.
Seal and deaden those doors properly or you'll spend buttloads and still have no midbass.

More than just dynamat.....

I guess I kind of did ignore it. I don't really know what else to do to the doors. I can't get to the inside of the door if that's what needed. I have to be honest I thought I did a good job sealing it with Dynamat. The installer who has the JL's did almost nothing to his doors and the mid bass blows mine away. I'm really at a loss here... It just doesn't make sense. I mean, when I say I have no mid bass... I have none. When I turn my subs down it sounds like music in a tin can. I don't know how much to expect but I know I expect more than I'm getting...

I guess I kind of did ignore it. I don't really know what else to do to the doors. I can't get to the inside of the door if that's what needed. I have to be honest I thought I did a good job sealing it with Dynamat. The installer who has the JL's did almost nothing to his doors and the mid bass blows mine away. I'm really at a loss here... It just doesn't make sense. I mean, when I say I have no mid bass... I have none. When I turn my subs down it sounds like music in a tin can. I don't know how much to expect but I know I expect more than I'm getting...
What are your crossover points?

Have u checked for cancellation? (Fade to one side and see if midbass improves)

What are your crossover points?
Have u checked for cancellation? (Fade to one side and see if midbass improves)
I read this some place else so I tried it with no luck. As far as the HPF, on the HU its set at 63. On the amp I don't know, I cant see it because of the way they are installed. Its weird because if I play with the HU settings( Bass boost, loudness and EQ) it doesn't change very much at all.,

You really don't need to get far inside the doors to treat them. Once you have your sound deadener you can cut it into strips that are narrow enough to fit through the speaker hole and then try to cover the outer door skin by 25%. There's no need to cover every square inch. The foam and vinyl I mentioned go between the inner trim panel and the inside of the metal frame. You'll want to talk to Don at Sound Deadener Showdown. He's on here under the username Rudy.

You really don't need to get far inside the doors to treat them. Once you have your sound deadener you can cut it into strips that are narrow enough to fit through the speaker hole and then try to cover the outer door skin by 25%. There's no need to cover every square inch. The foam and vinyl I mentioned go between the inner trim panel and the inside of the metal frame. You'll want to talk to Don at Sound Deadener Showdown. He's on here under the username Rudy.

Thanks for the advice...

I have another question now, forget about the doors for a second. How much do you think a kick panel will change the sound of the speakers in my car? The installer said " it will be a night and day difference"... While I do trust him, he could be just trying to get me to spend some money. He said he would build me some,run all the wires,mount everything and re-tune for around 500.00,what do you think about that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.