Newbie Question About Stereos

Yes, Crutchfield's prices are high, but in my opinion they have excellent phone support. This can be worth the premium for the first time DIY'er. That is up to you to decide. I have also bought a lot of equipment (for my SUV) from sonicelectronix.com and have been very satisfied with their prices. Others may have other recommendations.

OP - is your Tundra a double-cab or single-cab?

You're gonna need more than $200 I' am afraid. You can do a cheap Line Output Converter, amp and sub. If you have a fry's in town or near you try them. I got my dual JH45's and Kenwood KAC-8105D from them. They have sales on their Polk DB1244 boxes several times a year for like $150 that would be fine for him. Maybe another $100 to $150 for the amp then the amp kit and power wire. Installs most places are going to be at least $150 I'd say to run a power wire, install amp, LoC and Sub so you're looking at minimum of $500 I'd hazard as a guess.

$200 is not much for a double din head unit and everything needed honestly. Are you set on getting a double din touchscreen? A smaller single din non touchscreen can be had cheaper and still preform great. I noticed you said you don't care for DVD which is why most people buy a DD head unit. Bluetooth is a nice feature for hands free calling and much more. Plus wireless music streaming from your phone.

SonicElectronix has great prices. Ive bought quite a few things from them and been 100% happy. I suggest checking out stereos they have to offer.

A lot of times you can get on youtube or even search google on installing a head unit for a (2007 tundra) and you will see how easy it actually is.

Bestbuy is not going to install it any different than anyone else. They will use the same install kit you can get but they will charge you a crazy price. So there will be no difference in looks.

You can get a Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD, mounting kit, and wiring harness for under $250 though.

U should keep stock radio. Get a line converter and a wiring kit. Then get some subs n amp off Craigslist all for 200 bucks and get your son alittle bump. Maybe u and him can do all this together and u both can learn and grow closer gettin into this hobby together. I know I wish my dad was into car audio with me when I was younger. That would be cool.

Here is a 'decent' all-in-one solution within your budget.

LINK -> Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Single 12" 300W Powered Subwoofer

You will have to set proper expectations with your son though - this isn't going to rattle the windows.

You will need an 8 gauge wiring kit.

You might just be able to tap the speakers for the sub's high-level input. If it is too much on the factory system, then you will need a line-out-converter (LOC). I like the ones Pac Audio puts out.

Also, and most important - make sure it will fit in the truck.

A DSP processor to stock head unit is genuinely the easiest and more helpful towards getting the most bass out of stock speakers.

Changing head unit will help if you are wanting a new unit, but just for bass would be a waste of money.

A epicenter is the best for this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.