Newbie needing help with system.

Participant count
  • Participants list

SSCR

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm sure this forum gets swamped with equipment recommendations but here I am, hat in hand.

I'm building a custom FJ40 (jeep for the lame man) with a complete aluminum tub. Everything on it is custom from the frame, suspension, body, engine, wiring harness. Much like the ICON Fj40s.

The tub has enclosures in the four corners with 5.25" cutouts and the passenger seat base "box" to accommodate a 10" sub. I have a Tuffy locking center counsel that holds a single din for the receiver. I mostly stream Pandora from my iPhone for music, audio books, and the occasional pod cast. My music taste range from Radiohead to the Beatles, nothing that requires super heavy bass.

The body will be "bed-lined" inside and underneath, but not much more dampening than that, the vehicle is also a soft top (insulated, but still just a soft top). I'm not expecting good acoustics but just want a decent system that I can listen to and enjoy. Ill try and attach a couple pics so you get an idea of what I'm working with.

I would appreciate some recommendations for a head unit (I like JVC if possible), 4 speakers that will fit in the 5.25" cutouts, maybe tweeters, 10" sub, and I assume an amp unless I can get one integrated into the head unit. The head unit will be enclosed in the Tuffy center counsel so I am hoping to use my phone, which will have a mount in the center of the dash, primarily for all the radio operating stuff and GPS. Hands free phone operation would be a plus too! I can wire a USB plug in the dash directly to the head unit in the center counsel.

Budget is around $600 if possible, like I said I don't have the best acoustic environment and feel I would be throwing money away with a high price items.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 152
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 131
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 140
  • driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 138
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 148
  • counsel.jpg
    counsel.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 147

Man that ride is sick!!! Love all the metal.

My jvc output ******,, swapped it with this and the output was so much better. Small profile too to fit in that center console. $100

What’s the size of that metal sub box. The dimensions and airspace for that will help for sub recommendations since it’s obviously going to be a sealed environment and you have to Factor Mounting depth.

Base box is approximately 22" wide by 24" long by 8.5" tall and slopes back to about 6" tall in the rear. It has an open port to the one side. Ill post a couple more pics, along with some flex shots...

Thanks for all the suggestions, sounds like a Pioneer head unit might be the way to go, thanks[U] BCotrell[/U], but I do need to get a couple speakers in the back corners, if for anything the time to make the enclosures, although I do like the idea of hiding beer back there ;) I also don't mind increasing my budget another 600$ if you feel its worth it, although I really would not go over a grand if possible.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 40 1.jpg
    40 1.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 136
  • Tire carrier.jpg
    Tire carrier.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 135
That’s basically a wedge. Assuming the thinnest mdf selected on Rockford site that’s about 1.78 cubes before displacement so it’s probably a wee bit bigger in reality. Is there actual porting chambers in the box or is it just a hole? If it’s just a hole you may want to seal it up and go sealed with a shallow sub. That said That’s a pretty big box for sealed for a smaller sub tho. Can you still mount the seat and fit a 12. A shallow 12 will need about a cubic foot, will eat up a bit more of of that extra volume and you might just be able to put a bit of box fill in there to get it to around a cubic foot of airspace or whatever is specifically required by the sub

It’s just a hole... I’m not looking for crazy deep base but just enough to even the surrounds out. Kinda like a surround sound system with satellite speakers... thanks bud!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.