Newbie. Nakamichi CD 45z-MB Quart pce 216-rce 269=Denon DCA 600 Questions.

Participant count
  • Participant list

kurios007

Hello. Just registered here today. I was hoping to get some feedback for some older audio equipment I am considering installing in my classic 1993 Eagle Summit AWD 5 speed manual Command Vehicle. I currently have a Nakamichi CD 45z head unit. I am considering upgrading to the Nakamichi CD 400. I would expect a considerable improvement in head units with the CD 400. I have an old school Japanese Denon DCA 600 50 X 4 channel amp from between 1992 to 1994 I believe. I have a set of MB Quart pce 216 component speakers new in the box. I also have one pair of rce 269 6 X 9 new in the box as well. My question is will the Denon DCA 600 provide enough power to bring these speakers to life on it's own. I do enjoy some pretty heavy rock-metal music mixed in with my more relaxed stuff. Also if anyone has compared the Nakamichi CD 45z to the newer Nakamichi CD 400 I would appreciate some input. Also considering mounting the rce 269 speakers in an enclosed box. Not sure where the tweeter should go for best performance sound stage. I plan on putting the pce 216 speakers in the front doors. This should be enough to give you an idea of what I am hoping to accomplish with this set up. Thanks again for your time and assistance.

My opinion on the head unit is that if your old one was good quality when it was made then it will probably sound just as good as the new one. I had an Alpine HU made in 1993, which I replaced last year with an Alpine CDA117, and the new one sounds no better than the old one, which was Alpine's top model in 1993. The BIG difference between the two is the functionality of the new CDA117. My old unit was top quality, but it had no processing ability, everything had to be done externally, such as crossover points etc. The new unit does so much, virtually everything can be controlled from it. But the sound is much the same.

50 watts RMS is pretty good to a component set, especially if you are planning to run subs to cut some low end to them. Not knowing the speakers you are using (ie power handling capacity in RMS), I would suggest that it would do a reasonable job.

As for your 6x9 mounting question, have a look in the Enclosure section on this forum for a thread I started recently called "8's & 6.5's in one enclose" or something like that. It is still on the first page anyway. There is some good info on there in regards to mounting full range speakers, covering position, and required volume etc. Worth reading before you go further.

Some of my gear is quite old. But if you are happy with the result then it will not matter at all. Personally, if that is what you have, and it suits the budget (not all of us have lots to spend) then I would install it carefully to get the best out of it. It should sound pretty good.

certainly, speaker install is quite important to the end product. for example, i put no less than 20 hours per door into a front speaker installation - that includes seals, deadening, absorption, and stiffening... and wiring/mounting of course. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif my build logs give good examples of that effort.

tweeters are great off the apillar - the only trick is getting aiming right. i use spheres for smaller frame tweeters and get outstanding results.

enclosing the rear 6x9 will greatly help their midbass response, make sure you get some absorption in there and try to avoid parallel sides.

I would like to thank the three folks who have responded so far. Thank you for the suggestions. It's very encouraging. I used to do my installs my self but, might employ some assistance on this one. I'm 52 years old and would like to create a pleasant listening experience in my little Japanese rattle trap before I loose my hearing. I am definitely going to be doing some serious work on the front doors to deaden the sound and sealing in my speakers from the elements. Thanks for that reinforcement keep_hope_alive. Quad cities eh? Maybe I'll come let you put this system in : ) Actually the Eagle Summit AWD Command Vehicle is at the mechanic getting a new transfer case put in. 1993 AWD's had a product recall for leaking seals on the transfer case so I am getting a replacement for free on my 20 year old cruiser. Once I am sure it is road ready I will be gathering up my stuff and looking for someone to put this thing in for me. I have never used the crossovers included in component speaker set ups before. I don't want to set them up wrong so I think a professional will be the way to go. My Denon amp also has Bass Boost and Input Sensitivity controls to each channel and that is enough to cause confusion to me. The last installer has them set at "1 o'clock" it appears. Not sure how to blend the amp with the speaker crossovers so again reason enough to have a professional do the install. I have a handful of choices in my area so I should be able to find a reputable installer. I'm still not sure If I am going to use the MB Quarts or not for this install. I purchased them for my 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS which I did some damage to and have not repaired for several years. I have been looking at Polk Audio components in the 6.5" size for the front and Not sure what I'd use for the rear to provide a bit more bass. I am not a BIG BASS sub guy and really just want some clarity in my system with some decent midbass that can rock a little bit if I feel in the mood. Thanks again and if I actually get this done I'll let ya'll know how it turned out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.