help!

inkedup86

just went to install a 1 Farad cap in my system and my remote wire melted! never had an issue with this before. I ran the remote wire from the red power wired and have not had an issue with this. could this be the problem?? If so i need to know the correct location for it, i have a 2002 jeep liberty. any help would be great

Likely a short somewhere in the remote wire. Proper practice is to run REM from the corresponding lead from a head unit with a very small fuse to avoid damaging the HU (and catching fire) should it short.

Ran the wire really sound. Might have got a cut and shorted out somewhere. As far as the lead I'm guessing it's the blue color coded from the harness because that's what it's always been but I wasn't sure so I ran it to the main power. It kept popping fuses on my main panel but not on the head unit. Going to run a 14 gauge wire tomorrow and try it from the blue on the harness to see if that corrects my issue. Any other suggestions?

Is it an aftermarkey HU? If still factory HU it may have a powered antenna which is were you can pick up the remote from. The remote can be picked up from any switched 12v source if you cant find in harness but you sould be able to. Did you run the remote to the cap? If you did your definately over te rated currant of te wire. I generally use a relay for my remotes to eliminate any issues with them.

No all I did was install the cap directly. The remote went straight back to the amp and it's an aftermarket HU yes. I got the cap because the battery wasn't enough for the amp and subs. But other than it cutting out from lack of power I didn't have any issues with it until I installed the cap itself

I would check the wire for shorts to ground. Then I would use a SPDT or SPST relay to trigger the remote turn on. Use the HU remote to power the coil (85) ground 86 run a separate 12v feed from either your Battery, distroblock or wherever you decide fused to the normally open set of contacts 30 and 87. I included the terminal connections for lack of knowing your background and helpful info. Hope you find the issue.

Not necessarily useless, just not overly useful...great ripple filter //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.