Newbie here - wanting suggestions/opinions/thoughts

Participant count
  • Participant list

hawki

So, car audio is not my specialty, so i am hoping to get some opinions on the best setup i should go for for my deck/car.

I own a 2010 Prius, and just had a Kenwood DNX9960 installed that replaced my OEM nav system that came with the car.

My Prius has 8 speakers - and im looking to replace them as the bass isnt quite qhat i'd like, nor is the overall sound. The speaker specs for my car are:

Location Speaker Type Quantity Size Impedance Rated Input Power

*1 Front Squawker 2 65 mm (2.6 in.) 2 Ω 20 W

*2 Front Woofer 2 150 mm x 230 mm (6.0 in. x 9.0 in.) 1.8 Ω 28 W

*3 Rear Squawker 2 65 mm (2.6 in.) 2 Ω 20 W

*4 Rear Speaker 2 170 mm (6.7 in.) 1.85 Ω 40 W

Location 1 is up on the dash near each bottom corner of the windshield. Note, this is a 2.5" sqawker (upper midrange per definition).

Location 2 is in the front door. Note, these are 6x9 speakers. I suspect 28W is a typo and would be more inclined to believe 40W.

Location 3 is up on the rear door sill just behind the driver's seat. This is a 2.5" tweeter.

Location 4 is the lower rear door. Note, this is a 6.5" speaker.

DNX9960 specs are:

Audio

- Maximum Power 50Wx4

- Full Bandwidth Power 22Wx4

- Preout Level(V) 5.0V @ 80 Ohms

- Preout Impedance(Ω) Under 80Ω

- Speaker Impedance(Ω) 4-8Ω

So, I am wondering what would be some good setup and equipment ment to make this sound really good. From crossovers/ammps/speaker replacement and even a sub (preferable thin/bazooka or something along those lines) The sub isnt nessesary is the speakers themselves suggested was give reasonable bass, but i am upen to a sub.

ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS would be huige as again, right now im at the mercy of salesmen.....

Thanks in advance!

interesting project.

i own a 2002 Camry and it has 2" mid/tweeters in the dash and 6x9 woofers in teh doors and rear deck.

i'm looking at Madisound.com for a nice 2"-2.5" midrange driver so i maintain a good sound stage height. I'll build custom crossovers for whatever I do, if i don't go active. I was looking at the Peerless drivers specifically - paying close attention to frequency response on- and off-axis.

The Madisound Store

Door woofers - Parts Express sells a TangBand 6x9 subwoofer that is very shallow.

Tang Band W69-1436 6"x9" Neo Subwoofer | subwoofer 6"x9" subwoofer neodynium subwoofer tangband tb speakers ccflippy | Parts-Express.com

The easiest recommendation is to just buy two 6.5" components sets and a sub and call it a day. just watch your available speaker depth and build baffles to accomodate the different driver sizes.

however, i believe there is a distinct advantage to maintaining the midrange content at the dash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.