Newbie help -- ported box

Z3n
10+ year member

Hey guys, I'm a complete newb when it comes to designing and building my own sub enclosure. In fact, the system I'm installing is my first system, so I'm a car audio newb too. :p

I've read the Basic EDU for a ported sub box but I still need some help and some questions answered. :p

The subs I'm working with are Kicker CompVR Aluminized. I'm going to be putting two in and have a ported box. Each sub needs 1.75 to 2.25 cubic feet, and I'm going to go with 2 cubic feet.

So what I need help with is the port and tuning the subs. I want to tune the port tuned to 35 Hz. I'm using WinISD at the moment to figure out the dimensions for the ports but I need some help/input.

So the specs that I have right now are these: 2 in x 12.50 in by 23.25 inches deep. Does that sound like it would work? I have the other things set at 2.00 cubic feet and 35 Hz tuning.

Second, for the positioning of the port, should I have it so that the ports join up as one or should I have for each sub, like on the outer edge of the box on each side?

Sorry if this is long winded and all. If there's any more info I need just say so and I'll try to find it!

Thanks!

Hey I'd buy a box, but sadly I'm a high schooler with a limited budget. :p

Anyways, I think it'll be a good thing to figure out how to do now so I can make better boxes if I upgrade my system later. Plus, my dad's a carpenter so I have all the tools I'll need, and he can help me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Well if I find out I'm absolutely lousy at designing/building my own box I'll probably have to resort to buying too. But this'll save me some money. Hopefully.

It is nice to see someone new here actually do research before posting.

Here is what I recommend

Have a box designed by an expert here who will basically provide you with a blue print you can follow.

Ram-Designs, Mobile Enclosures are 2 of the guys on here that do designs.

That way you get to learn while still building your own box.

Hopefully we don't screw up too much wood. :p

Okay, now I have another question. :p So what I'm thinking now is having the two subs share one port in the middle. If I have them sharing a port do I need to change the port size, like double it? Or should I just make a separate port for each sub and still have them in the middle, just divided?

Crispin, how much would it cost to have one of those guys design a box for me?

EDIT: Ignore that, checked Ram Design's website. I'll think about it but I'm still going to look into how to design my own box. :p I'm just cheap like that. But I will seriously consider Ram Design. He looks like he does good work.

Have both subs share the same airspace and do one large port. I'd do the port on a side as opposed to between the subs. Just change the port size/number/etc. on winISD and it'll cough up the correct length and let you know if your port velocity is too high or not.

the port area is determined by the available air space that is inside the box. Most people will say use 12-16 in^2 of port area per cubic foot of internal airspace. so say you need 4 feet^3 of airspace, after displacement, and you decide to have 12 in^2 of port area per cubic foot. that would yield 48 in^2 of port. from there use WinISD to find out the length of port you would need......

Its easiest to just put the port to 1 side of the box when doing your first slot port. You could always use 2 4inch pvc pipes as well. I prefer to use round ports cuz you just cut the hole out and drop in the tube ans glue around it and you're done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.