New to forums questions about audio setup!

Thank you very much for the information.So, assuming i'm going the single 15 route... and stick with an FU 750 15".. Looking at *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

I could do a 3ft^3 box @ 30 hz(the sub asks for 2.5-3.75) and still be close to the dimensions of my last box.

37x17x17 or so.

Now.. would 3ft^3 be ok on that? or should I try and aim for that 3.75 max??

Then, that leads to what amp to get!... which will also be a fun learning experience.
I would've said to get a Brazilian amp (taramps, stetsom, prv audio, banda amps) until I got one... I don't like mine but I think mine may be defective. It's great except for the crossover. Brazilians run on full bridge topology which doesn't require high current and you can get insane power for super cheap. Just get a regular class d Korean amp (pretty much all sub amps) to stick to tried and true methods. You can probably find a used 2kw amp in the classifieds. A dude in this thread mentioned a 2.2kw amp. Maybe check that out.

Whenever a company lists a range for box size, it's always best to use close to the max size. Only time to go near the minimum is if you're giving the sub an extreme amount of power, and if you're underpowering it, go with the max value. The FU 750 likes 3.5 cubes in most cases I believe. Didn't you have a budget of like 1200 just for amp, sub and box though? I'd maybe consider trying to fit a sundown zv3 18 with that budget. That's my next sub unless I decide to stick with my current box and just get a 15. And I have a small trunk too. It would be the absolute biggest I could fit, no more than a couple mm of clearance when placing the box in the trunk lol.

Think you mentioned something about your speakers and mids/highs amp too. You can save a lot of money and get FAR better stuff by buying separate drivers on madisound and running them active off an active capable head unit like the pioneer 80prs, rather than buying pre assembled components with a passive crossover. I have the hertz hsk 165 comps and when I replaced the $300 tweeters with some $33 tweets from madisound (sb acoustics tweets in my signature) it was an IMPROVEMENT. Also definitely get the ppi p900.4. Insane amount of power for something like $168..

Thank you very much for the information.So, assuming i'm going the single 15 route... and stick with an FU 750 15".. Looking at *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

I could do a 3ft^3 box @ 30 hz(the sub asks for 2.5-3.75) and still be close to the dimensions of my last box.

37x17x17 or so.

Now.. would 3ft^3 be ok on that? or should I try and aim for that 3.75 max??

Then, that leads to what amp to get!... which will also be a fun learning experience.
3.5 cubic feet tuned to 35hz.

I would've said to get a Brazilian amp (taramps, stetsom, prv audio, banda amps) until I got one... I don't like mine but I think mine may be defective. It's great except for the crossover. Brazilians run on full bridge topology which doesn't require high current and you can get insane power for super cheap. Just get a regular class d Korean amp (pretty much all sub amps) to stick to tried and true methods. You can probably find a used 2kw amp in the classifieds. A dude in this thread mentioned a 2.2kw amp. Maybe check that out.
Whenever a company lists a range for box size, it's always best to use close to the max size. Only time to go near the minimum is if you're giving the sub an extreme amount of power, and if you're underpowering it, go with the max value. The FU 750 likes 3.5 cubes in most cases I believe. Didn't you have a budget of like 1200 just for amp, sub and box though? I'd maybe consider trying to fit a sundown zv3 18 with that budget. That's my next sub unless I decide to stick with my current box and just get a 15. And I have a small trunk too. It would be the absolute biggest I could fit, no more than a couple mm of clearance when placing the box in the trunk lol.

Think you mentioned something about your speakers and mids/highs amp too. You can save a lot of money and get FAR better stuff by buying separate drivers on madisound and running them active off an active capable head unit like the pioneer 80prs, rather than buying pre assembled components with a passive crossover. I have the hertz hsk 165 comps and when I replaced the $300 tweeters with some $33 tweets from madisound (sb acoustics tweets in my signature) it was an IMPROVEMENT. Also definitely get the ppi p900.4. Insane amount of power for something like $168..
Yeah.. I couldn't fit an 18 lol. There's a strut tower brace in the rear that drops down like an inch and a half between the struts. Makes it WAY hard to fit an enclosure thats much bigger then I had. Off the top of my head, I think I have ~18" clearance under it. This limits me to a 15. I'm ok with that.

As for the 3.5^3.. I think I should be able to do that. Making the box wider would help, longer as well.. just not much taller.

The headunit I'll get, unless I find something I like better, will probably be another kenwood excelon. I liked the hell out of the one that I had.

Interior speakers are all infinity kappa's for now. They are powered by the factory amp from the system.. god, 100watt maybe? I'll throw an amp into that system when i get the whole system back up and running I think.

Just need to pick and amp, and wait for my car to get back to me for some trunk measurements to make a box I think. Unless anyone else has some good recommendations //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah.. I couldn't fit an 18 lol. There's a strut tower brace in the rear that drops down like an inch and a half between the struts. Makes it WAY hard to fit an enclosure thats much bigger then I had. Off the top of my head, I think I have ~18" clearance under it. This limits me to a 15. I'm ok with that. As for the 3.5^3.. I think I should be able to do that. Making the box wider would help, longer as well.. just not much taller.

The headunit I'll get, unless I find something I like better, will probably be another kenwood excelon. I liked the hell out of the one that I had.

Interior speakers are all infinity kappa's for now. They are powered by the factory amp from the system.. god, 100watt maybe? I'll throw an amp into that system when i get the whole system back up and running I think.

Just need to pick and amp, and wait for my car to get back to me for some trunk measurements to make a box I think. Unless anyone else has some good recommendations //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
get me some max trunk dimensions and i'll give you a quick aerported box design. Simplest box style that you can adjust the tuning to fit your listening needs. Basically a square box, hole for your sub and a hole for the port where you can extend or cut the port to change the sound. Best part of all, its efficient so the port does not need to take up as much space as a normal slot port so it wont take up your whole trunk.

Yeah.. I couldn't fit an 18 lol. There's a strut tower brace in the rear that drops down like an inch and a half between the struts. Makes it WAY hard to fit an enclosure thats much bigger then I had. Off the top of my head, I think I have ~18" clearance under it. This limits me to a 15. I'm ok with that. As for the 3.5^3.. I think I should be able to do that. Making the box wider would help, longer as well.. just not much taller.

Even the best factory systems won't be running more than about 60w rms total haha. Usually way less. I have the top excelon model and I like it, but the pioneer 80prs is miles better and if I could go back Id get it. Definitely run active. The excelon I have is active capable, but I think it's the only excelon model that is.

You will probably be facing the sub upwards anyway, even with a 15, so don't dismiss the zv3 18 as an option. It barely requires more airspace than most 15's. I'd look into it man, see if you can fit 4 cubes plus port with your dimensions. If you can fit -> H: 13.5 W: 30 D: 26" then you can probably fit at least 3.8 cubes even if the box is double baffled and braced aggressively and has a vertical dowel to prevent any chance of flex at all. Don't do the zv3 18 unless you can fit 3.9-4.1 cubes though

Even the best factory systems won't be running more than about 60w rms total haha. Usually way less. I have the top excelon model and I like it, but the pioneer 80prs is miles better and if I could go back Id get it. Definitely run active. The excelon I have is active capable, but I think it's the only excelon model that is.
You will probably be facing the sub upwards anyway, even with a 15, so don't dismiss the zv3 18 as an option. It barely requires more airspace than most 15's. I'd look into it man, see if you can fit 4 cubes plus port with your dimensions. If you can fit -> H: 13.5 W: 30 D: 26" then you can probably fit at least 3.8 cubes even if the box is double baffled and braced aggressively and has a vertical dowel to prevent any chance of flex at all. Don't do the zv3 18 unless you can fit 3.9-4.1 cubes though
subs facing up in trunks lose a lot of low end. Gain more upper punch.

It sounds like a pair of hds208's or 10's, single 12 in proper box would be much better than he had before.

Obviously those aren't the only subs to choose from but they are an excellent price for the performance.

They will easily take 1k as well.

I would strongly suggest not squeezing an 18 in there. Did that in trunk with my zcon on about 4k and hated unloading off the trunk.

subs facing up in trunks lose a lot of low end. Gain more upper punch.
Yeah but sometimes it's necessary and as long as the port faces back it isn't much of a problem. With an 18 he'll be able to get a lot of low end anyway especially tuned fairly low like 32 Hz

Yeah but sometimes it's necessary and as long as the port faces back it isn't much of a problem. With an 18 he'll be able to get a lot of low end anyway especially tuned fairly low like 32 Hz
Can get low with most drivers... Plus he's got an STi he should use birch and get a decently light sub lol.. I'd hate to sacrifice performance. That's just me though lol.

Can get low with most drivers... Plus he's got an STi he should use birch and get a decently light sub lol.. I'd hate to sacrifice performance. That's just me though lol.
haha. Not too too worried about performance. An extra ~100lbs won't break me. She's tuned to 403hp 468tq to the ground, already hard to drive through the city sometimes.

Not too keen on facing them up tho.. idk.

The 80prs looks pretty sweet, but i'm deadset on a double-din setup.. kinda why I was thinking back into the excelons.

haha. Not too too worried about performance. An extra ~100lbs won't break me. She's tuned to 403hp 468tq to the ground, already hard to drive through the city sometimes.

The 80prs looks pretty sweet, but i'm deadset on a double-din setup.. kinda why I was thinking back into the excelons.
the new pioneer avh bhs and NEX head units all have amazing tuneability options for audio. 13 band EQ, time alignment along with 3 way active capable networks along with high pre-out voltage and all the features you can want in a modern day double din.

I'm running a turbonetics kit in my TC right around 380 to the wheels.. I was so close to getting an sti but I ended up getting a 2011 Titan with 38k and a 07 TC with 40k to be more practical, I needed a truck. Lol, so now I'm boosted on fwd, 6 puck clutch driving through town ***** bahaha. Thank god it's not really my daily driver anymore. Seriously wish I would have never got a **** fwd car though :/

Sorry for going off topic lol

the new pioneer avh bhs and NEX head units all have amazing tuneability options for audio. 13 band EQ, time alignment along with 3 way active capable networks along with high pre-out voltage and all the features you can want in a modern day double din.
Except for capacitive screen? Idk if any of them do... and I might be the only one who wants a capacitive screen haha. I really wish they made a good unit with a good screen.

Just looked at the AVH4100NEX.. and thats a delicious unit! Think I might have found my replacement in that one.

Ok, so we have a sub.. the FU 750 15.

A headunit: the Pioneer 4100nex.

Now we need an amp, and a box(which I can't give you measurements for :/ ) wiring, a new mounting kit, maybe some razorblades for the back of it....

I'm running a turbonetics kit in my TC right around 380 to the wheels.. I was so close to getting an sti but I ended up getting a 2011 Titan with 38k and a 07 TC with 40k to be more practical, I needed a truck. Lol, so now I'm boosted on fwd, 6 puck clutch driving through town ***** bahaha. Thank god it's not really my daily driver anymore. Seriously wish I would have never got a **** fwd car though :/
Sorry for going off topic lol
AWD or gtfo :p

Just looked at the AVH4100NEX.. and thats a delicious unit! Think I might have found my replacement in that one.
Ok, so we have a sub.. the FU 750 15.

A headunit: the Pioneer 4100nex.

Now we need an amp, and a box(which I can't give you measurements for :/ ) wiring, a new mounting kit, maybe some razorblades for the back of it....

AWD or gtfo :p
Next vehicle will be AWD. This was technically for the lady but I wanted it boosted lol

For wiring go with at least 1/0 welding cable. 2/0 pref.

Amp: Crescendo 1500, Soundqubed 1200, AB VFL 80.1, VFL Hybrid 4480, Twisted Sounds 1.8k, there are a few suggestions

Definitely do the big 3 upgrade.

Get yourself a voltage meter while you're at it to keep an eye on voltage at the amp (they are cheap)

The box, I strongly suggest CSCStang, or Buck @ High Output enclosures, otherwise design one and use something like torres to figure out your tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.