New system - I've actually lost SQ vs. my stock system. wtf?

Hey all...

I have an 01 Pontiac Bonneville that had the Bose factory system in it. It was loud and put out decent mid bass, but I thought I could do better. So I upgraded the whole system. I put in...

Kenwood double din CD player head unit (DPX303)

Audio Art 340.6 XE 6 channel amp (35x4 + 200x1)

3 sets of CDT speakers, all EF series...

-6.5 inch components 165W RMS

-5 1/4 components 100W RMS

- 6x9 subwoofer, in stock back dash location, 165W RMS

yes they are really 6x9 subs built for such application.

Anyway, I get it all installed and quite frankly it sounds like crap. I turn it up all the way, just before distortion level, and then I get decent SQ, but I smell burning speaker. I would not expect this from CDT speakers rated at way more watts than my amp is putting out. At lower levels, there is no bass existent and a very middish sound. The tweet is always good at any level in the system, i guess that's a positive.

Is there something wrong with my setup? Poor tuning or amp choice? I was expecting concert level screaming mids and highs with nice tight full range bass, louder and better than my factory Bose system. Instead I feel like I have couple of cheap 6.5's running off of a crap amp. help!

Are the subs enclosed? Did you actually set your gains or just crank them up? My guess it is installer error somewhere along the lines. Plus if tuned improperly that will add to the poor sound.

Car audio is rarely just plug and play, meaning tuning and proper installation are critical.

Hey all...
I have an 01 Pontiac Bonneville that had the Bose factory system in it. It was loud and put out decent mid bass, but I thought I could do better. So I upgraded the whole system. I put in...

Kenwood double din CD player head unit (DPX303)

Audio Art 340.6 XE 6 channel amp (35x4 + 200x1)

3 sets of CDT speakers, all EF series...

-6.5 inch components 165W RMS

-5 1/4 components 100W RMS

- 6x9 subwoofer, in stock back dash location, 165W RMS

yes they are really 6x9 subs built for such application.

Anyway, I get it all installed and quite frankly it sounds like crap. I turn it up all the way, just before distortion level, and then I get decent SQ, but I smell burning speaker. I would not expect this from CDT speakers rated at way more watts than my amp is putting out. At lower levels, there is no bass existent and a very middish sound. The tweet is always good at any level in the system, i guess that's a positive.

Is there something wrong with my setup? Poor tuning or amp choice? I was expecting concert level screaming mids and highs with nice tight full range bass, louder and better than my factory Bose system. Instead I feel like I have couple of cheap 6.5's running off of a crap amp. help!
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif:eek://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif:eek:

35 watts and concert level mids and highs?

who did the install?

are the speakers properly baffled?

have you set up the head unit and amps?

You've only got 35 watts per?

Sheesh, change that number to 100 and should sound a lot better, but SQ is always...tuning tuning tuning tuning tuning. The most critical part of the install.

I've got a Digital Designs component set with some Soundstream 6x9's @ 100 watts per channel. The component set rocks and the 6x9's scream. It sounds **** good for 1/4 gain.

Gets extremely loud for 100 watts per.

cdt...

how much sq did you lose? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Sounds like a shitty install.....The only CDT's that I've been impressed with are the really expensive ones.
you'd probably be surprised on how cheap you can get some cdt speakers for if you just find out who OEMs the speakers for them.

I guess I assumed everyone would know the Audio Art amp is under-rated in power. It's been benched at over 600 watts so there's plenty of power to push the speakers.

let me check my gain and x-over freq. settings. Can someone give me a baseline on what freq. the amp should be set at?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.