New system except sub. Not happy. Is a sub the answer to my problems?

MIDILizard

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey Everyone. I'm pretty new with car audio but produce music and have a decent studio setup so I know non-car audio pretty well. I bought from a good dealer (400+ 5 star rated) and felt good about my purchases from my own research. But I'm not really happy w the sound. :-( The installer straight up said I'd want a sub (and I believe him) but they didn't have enough options in stock (I wanted something out of the way like under the seat) and I didn't want some big box in the back. I did read somewhere that OEM speakers often had more bass just in the front/rear setup alone to satisfy the buyers enough. I've played with the Pioneer settings and can get some good sounds and yeah, it does go low, but at louder volumes it breaks up quite a bit (I have to turn down the lows down in the EQ.) I'm assuming with a sub, it will take that frequency stress off the front/rear speakers with using the crossover, spreading the frequencies around properly. Right? So then, a few questions:

1. Will a sub make me happy or will I be fine w just playing more w the current front/rear setup?

2. Will I also want an amp for my entire system? The installer thought the receiver had an enough juice (50wtt). I don't need my ears bleeding but I do like clarity and feeling the music. I don't like "background" music!

3. With a sub, will it allow more volume and clarity? That's what it seems like.

4. What subs should I look at? Powered? Are 8"s good enough? I'd prefer hidden. I don't want to pay $500.

5. Since the rest of the system is hooked up, is it easy enough for me to pull out the receiver and plug up the sub or should I get the installer to do it?

6. I'm not really thrilled w the Pioneer. Seems clunky and unreliable w the wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto. So far seems overrated. So far I prefer my phone!

Any other help or advice? Greatly appreciated. I'm even willing to pay for an hour of consulting.

Thanks!!! Michael

2017 Toyota Highlander LE Plus (non JBL)
RECEIVER: Pioneer DMH 4600NEX
SPEAKERS: Rear - Focal RCX-165 (6.5" 2 way), Front - Focal RSE-165 (6.5" component)
iDataLink Maestro

I listen to mostly pop, RmB, jazz, rock.

Yes a subwoofer is almost always a must.
Yes an amp would be a good idea. Headunits built in amps are not the greatest.
You could do a Dayton Audio HO 10" subwoofer in a very small box.

Were the doors sound deadened and sealed when the new speakers were installed?

The subwoofer and amp/s would require you to run a power wire from the battery to the amp location. RCA cables from your headunit to the amp/s.

Thanks for the good advice! I do not believe there was any special sound deadening efforts. They installed all 6 speakers and the receiver in about 4-5 hours. Based on my studio work, I wondered about "mass" behind the speakers and all. Makes sense. I watched a couple YT videos on it. Geesh. Looks like some work with all the "second skin" stuff and all. // Thanks for that clear recommendation on the sub and amp. That was my instinct but a number of online advice and audio people thought the receiver would be fine enough and I could upgrade later. The installer was the first guy that said, "I really think you're gonna wanna sub." So boom - here we are. // So what small box and amp would be a good place to start? Or what am I looking for in general?

If you have any YT vids or places to go, I'm all ears. Or if you prefer to do a zoom paid-consult for 20-60min, I'm down.

Thanks a lot!

I listen to mostly pop, RmB, jazz, rock.
If intrusuve equipment is not your cup of tea, I would recommend a 10" Bazooka amplified bass tube. Model BTA10250D. It is compact, efficient, and great for trucks, vans, suvs, and wagons. I myself have an powered 8" that sounds good. When I use it, I disconnect the built in amp to connect an external one for stronger bass (my cup of tea).
I have also read good reviews about the Rockville RWS12CA. I have not tried one but am thinking about trying it out.

If intrusuve equipment is not your cup of tea, I would recommend a 10" Bazooka amplified bass tube. Model BTA10250D. It is compact, efficient, and great for trucks, vans, suvs, and wagons. I myself have an powered 8" that sounds good. When I use it, I disconnect the built in amp to connect an external one for stronger bass (my cup of tea).
I have also read good reviews about the Rockville RWS12CA. I have not tried one but am thinking about trying it out.
Vade retro satana!!

contact this dude

maybe he can do something like this for you

it sounds like you know what midbass speakers should sound like in the proper environment with the proper power (neither of which you have). Use your judgment to decide if you’d rather have good bass below 100hz and leave the rest as is or do some sort of sound deadening and install an amp, at least for the midbass speakers. Or both. A sub will (could) be cheaper, especially if you’re paying for someone’s time, but will take up a lot more space than an amp.

A sub will only help below 100/120hz, anything above that is down to properly powered door speakers (which can easily go down to at least 60/80hz, depending on the speakers FS [free air resonance] frequency) and properly treated doors. Again, a sub will only help with low bass, if you want decent midbass then get an amp and do sound treatment (could start with the latter and see if that’s enough for you).

A 5 channel amp might be your best rout. Something in the 100 watts x 4 channels for the mid/highs and 500 watts x 1 for a sub. One 10" like Pop said or 2 8" subs would work.

Last edited:
They look nice but $1200 is crazy. How did they sound Bobby?

It actually sounded better when the port was covered. The port was just way too big. The owner had some Fi 8's ($200/each) in it originally. One problem, Fi doesn't make 8's. So, we took one of the subs out and what do you know? Somebody, had taken four cheap Skar 8's and changed the dust caps and sold him $60 Skar 8's for $200 a piece. So, in closing, the Ampere 2.5 8's sounded good, but the box was still holding them back. The amp was an Ampere Audio 2K. We know who did it to the subs, but no need to mention names.

That ***** hard. When I first read Fi 8’s I was questioning that as I’ve never seen one. ***** for that dude. So I’m assuming the box was loaded when he bought it?

That Ampere Audio amp was on my short list a little while back.

That ***** hard. When I first read Fi 8’s I was questioning that as I’ve never seen one. ***** for that dude. So I’m assuming the box was loaded when he bought it?

That Ampere Audio amp was on my short list a little while back.

The box was loaded and cost $2K. He ended up getting the money back for the subs after calling the guy out. Then, the guy who did it to the subs had some BS story and banned some people from going to his business anymore. The same guy also broke one of the Focal crossovers and didn't say anything. So, that had to be replaced also.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.